Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Redding Competition Seating Die

+11
PhotoEscape
Bigtrout
farmboy
troystaten
Multiracer
joy2shoot
weber1b
apipeguy
BrianD
spursnguns
estuck
15 posters

Go down

Redding Competition Seating Die Empty Redding Competition Seating Die

Post by estuck 8/28/2019, 11:52 am

I have a Redding Competition Seating Die in .45acp that i am going to try. Loading 185 JHP. Was using the Dillon die before, in my 550 press. Anyone have experience with the Redding die, and is there any significant advantage over the Dillon die? I already have the Redding die set up and started making rounds, and taking measurements. Cannot see a distinct difference. Also is there a different seating stem available for loading LSWCHP? Thanks.

estuck

Back to top Go down

Redding Competition Seating Die Empty Re: Redding Competition Seating Die

Post by spursnguns 8/28/2019, 12:10 pm

Hello estuck,

I have used both in my 550 and 650.  In my opinion, one is as good as the other.  I now use the Dillon exclusively.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianD 8/28/2019, 12:31 pm

I have the Redding and I feel it makes more consistent ammo.

I only use it for jacketed ammo.  But I get better (small but better) groups from the RR using it.

But if you like the Dillon use it.

BrianD

Back to top Go down

Post by apipeguy 8/28/2019, 2:37 pm

I have been using the Redding Competition seating die for several years and have been extremely pleased with it. The micrometer is great if you use different bullets and keep track of the numbers so that you can just dial up your bullet.
apipeguy
apipeguy

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 8/28/2019, 3:14 pm

I use the Redding simply because I load three different bullets and making depth changes is much easier. I was fine with the Dillon die otherwise.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 8/28/2019, 3:34 pm

weber1b wrote:I use the Redding simply because I load three different bullets and making depth changes is much easier.
+1

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer 8/28/2019, 4:11 pm

joy2shoot wrote:
weber1b wrote:I use the Redding simply because I load three different bullets and making depth changes is much easier.
+1
+1 too

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 8/28/2019, 4:31 pm

I believe the design of the Redding die is to not need different seating stems. You figure out the setting for the particular bullet and there you are. I did have to play around with the bell a little bit as at certain points the die pushed the bullet too easily and it went deeper than the setting otherwise would. A little playing around got me to where I needed to be.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 8/28/2019, 4:38 pm

weber1b wrote:I believe the design of the Redding die is to not need different seating stems. You figure out the setting for the particular bullet and there you are.
That is correct.  However, it means when seating SWC, it will be seating the bullet by the nose.  What I did, was buy another stem from Redding (it is not a different stem, just another one) and 'drimmeled' it for SWC so it seats by the shoulder.  The other stem I use for non SWC bullets.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by apipeguy 8/28/2019, 5:09 pm

Redding recommends that if you are using different bullet shapes and stems that you can use hot glue for each bullet profile. I have not tried it and only use one stem for many bullet profiles without issue.
apipeguy
apipeguy

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 8/28/2019, 7:11 pm

A friend of mine swears by a Hornady seating die in his Dillon 550 for loading SWC's for 45 ACP.  I think it is this one.  https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165183386  he says it does a better job of keeping the bullet straight when seating.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy 8/29/2019, 6:07 am

joy2shoot wrote:
weber1b wrote:I believe the design of the Redding die is to not need different seating stems. You figure out the setting for the particular bullet and there you are.
That is correct.  However, it means when seating SWC, it will be seating the bullet by the nose.  What I did, was buy another stem from Redding (it is not a different stem, just another one) and 'drimmeled' it for SWC so it seats by the shoulder.  The other stem I use for non SWC bullets.

They must sell more than one type of comp die that I am not aware of then because every one I own seats on the shoulder among various calibers.  Specifically see attached photos for .45. No need for any mods.  Pressure is on the shoulder every time and is more consistent than any other seater die I have used.  If you measure OAL from the shoulder exposure it will be the same every time(if your stroke is solid & consistent for those that load with a progressive)  OAL will not be the same if you measure from the nose due to variability in the projectile & brass. 

As far as accuracy in my tests from a RR I don't see any difference with cast.  When it comes to swaged groups are better with the Redding because seating by the shoulder does not deform the bullet like the dillion and hornady dies do that seat from the nose.  With that said the differences are not that great.
If one doesn't want to spend the money on a Redding you still load  good ammo with either the Dillion or Hornady dies IMHO.

For .38 full wadcutter they do offer a different stem that is completely flat - I use that for .38 full wadcutters and use the regular for the .38SWC

Redding Competition Seating Die Img_4510
Above is a Zero 185 swaged LSWC
Redding Competition Seating Die Img_4511
160grn cast LSWC
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 8/29/2019, 6:56 am

I've got the 9mm Redding CSD.  I bought it to ensure concentric seating and ease of changing COL.  Pretty pricey but it's worth it imho.  I only use JHP bullets.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 8/29/2019, 10:05 am

Redding Competition Micrometer adjustable Seaters (and crimpers too) are my default seating dies. I have close to dozen of them on my 650 tool heads for both handgun and rifle calibers. My second option is Hornady's New Dimension seaters with addition of modified MicroJusters. I have two tool heads each for loading 38WC and 45ACP on 650 and tool head for 38WC on 1050, - three Redding's and two Hornady's. The only issue I occasionally ran into was dies getting clogged with lube from Remington HBWC, and some other lead bullets (Penn, ACME, etc.). After I scored 33 on my blood test, I cut down on loading anything naked, so above mentioned issue is minimized.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocambole 5/18/2020, 6:13 am

I have a problem with my Redding Competition Seating Die and the 121 gr CMJ Restrike Match FP bullet. Setting it up for 1.08" OAL I get plus minus .02", which I think is too much what with the micrometer and all. Anyone have an idea why this might happen? Could it be that the bullets do not center in exactly the same way? I reckon I'll also pass the question on to Redding.

Rocambole

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 5/18/2020, 7:06 am

I have the Hornaday seaters in a few calibers... proble. I have is that some times the seating stem sticks to the bullet and followed it out of the die body as the retention mechanism is a little spring clip. I wouldn't buy another.

The redding on the 45 is the way to go.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 5/18/2020, 7:32 am

A few ideas on your Redding die.

1) the seater stem is not making consistent contact with the FP bullet.  
2) if loading lubed bullets the inside of the seater stem can fill with lube and eliminate metal to metal contact.
3) with lubed bullets, some of the lube can migrate to the OD of the stem, causing it to slightly bind.

I deal with 2 and 3 all the time as I like well lubed bullets.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocambole 5/18/2020, 7:42 am

@Aprilian Thank you your your swift response. It would have to be 1 as I do not lube the bullets, and though in a sense I can understand the non-consistency, I have used the 2-step expander die by Redding, and so the bullets are easy to set looking quite straightly, but this must be where I'm just not careful enough (but I'd say, keeping the 4 gr charge within 3.98 and 4.02 I think would qualify as fairly careful). Question is, then, exactly how critical is the straightness of the bullet being placed on the case? 1,2 5, 10 degrees of tilt that the seating die would normally handle? I'm quite new to this and so try to do it thoroughly to learn properly, if somewhat slowly...

Rocambole

Back to top Go down

Post by tierney 5/18/2020, 8:31 am

I have a set of 3 Redding competition dies: dual ring sizer, Micro seater, and Micro crimper that are. or were, set up n a Star tool head drilled out for 7/8 dies.  Perfectly happy with the seater, very easy to to with repeatable results.  The crimper die has an internal collet that is reversible for 45 acp and Gap. Problem is the collet sticks somehow to the brass making the reverse stroke difficult due to having to jerk the handle to break it loose.  Not an issue with other crimpers I have.  Also, I have a Bar-sto barreled ballgun with a tight chamber that does not like the Competition sizer sized rounds, had to go to the Lee 2 thousandths undersized resizing die for proper feeding  Any ideas what is going on with the Redding crimp die?

tierney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocambole 5/18/2020, 8:45 am

@Tierney Perhaps you would receive more answers if you started a new thread on "Redding Crimp Die"? Just a thought.

Rocambole

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down