Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52

+6
lanjo
Sa-tevp
DA/SA
fc60
lyman1903
mikemyers
10 posters

Go down

Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52 Empty Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52

Post by mikemyers 9/11/2019, 7:21 pm

I took the Model 52 (that I spent so much time working on several months ago) to the range today.  It was supposed to be just a "fun session", getting used to the Venom Vortex red dot sight that replaced the steel sights (thanks to people from the forum who had the parts I needed, and thanks to 'mustachio' who first gave me the idea of doing this).

The first rounds worked fine - the gun was SO enjoyable to shoot.  Of all my guns, I think the 52 is maybe the finest - so much work and finishing went into it.

Anyway, after a while, several round failed to fire, and there was no indent in the primer.  Nothing.  My first thought was that I hadn't really fixed it before, and it was still messing up the same way, because of the magazine disconnect parts under the sight.  I finished off my box of 50 rounds, which put a big smile on my face, to cover up the frustration that my "fix" wasn't really a fix.

So, I took it home, disassembled it, and  found the plunger that caused all the problems before, was right where it belonged.  I tested the firing pin, pushing on it from behind, and it worked smooth as a hot knife going through butter.   So, that wasn't the problem.

I disassembled it, and the bore was pretty grimy.  I tried the "plunk test", and  ouch, it totally failed.  Rounds wouldn't go down because of all the grime.  So, with a wet patch, then a bore brush, and more patches, it got to look decent.  Then I thought of the idea of using a larger brush, just to clean out the chamber.  I found a 45 cal brush, put it in one of the old S&W aluminum brush holders, with the curved circle at the end, and "screwed" it into the chamber until it had gone in as far as one of my cases, then I continued to turn it while pulling it out.  When I removed the brush, the chamber was full of "debris".  I did this several more times, until there was no more grime to remove, used patches until they came out clean, and then tried the "plunk test" again - absolutely perfect now.

So, the gun I together, and ready to try out tomorrow or Friday, along with my Caspian if I get some reloading done tonight.

Here's my questions - 

First, is a 45 brass brush the right size to use on a 38 chamber?  It worked great, but maybe a different brush would be better?  

Second, is there anything that can be done to slow down, or minimize dirt build-up in a chamber?  I was shooting "Zero brand" ammo.  I also have Federal and Magtech.  Or, I could go back to loading my own.

Third, Wilson used to make a chamber brush for 45ACP.  Is that a good way to do it, or are there better choices?
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52 Empty Re: Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52

Post by lyman1903 9/11/2019, 7:52 pm

may want to try a 40cal brush,
lyman1903
lyman1903

http://www.chesterfieldarmament.com

Back to top Go down

Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52 Empty Re: Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52

Post by fc60 9/11/2019, 7:53 pm

Greetings,

A 45 brush is a bit on the large side.

Try a 10mm/40 cal pistol brush.

You will get a buildup of "crud" in the end of the chamber and forcing cone area. Look to see if the Lead fouling is not in the grooves of the barrel itself.

Another option is the use of the, now discontinued, Outers Foul Out electronic bore cleaner. There are recipes on the Internet for making your own electrolyte for the Lead removal.

Be aware that the Electrolyte contains Lead and the use of gloves is strongly recommended.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 9/11/2019, 7:54 pm

Get a tall small diameter glass jar like an olive jar, fill it with Hoppe's #9 and just soak your barrel for at least a day.(24 hrs) Then just push some patches through it until they come out clean and the barrel will be as clean as when new.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 9/11/2019, 8:26 pm

DA/SA wrote:Get a tall small diameter glass jar like an olive jar, fill it with Hoppe's #9 and just soak your barrel for at least a day.(24 hrs) Then just push some patches through it until they come out clean and the barrel will be as clean as when new.

Too funny, I do the same thing. Shopped the grocery store for the appropriate jar. I use Hoppes #9 and Kroil, and give a few brass brush/Chore Boy strokes before soaking to give the solvents a running start.

You may want to have it in an area it can't tip over.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by lanjo 9/11/2019, 8:45 pm

I also agree with the Hoppes #9 soak.  I put the barrel in a small sandwich Ziploc baggie with just enough solvent to submerge the barrel.  Soak for 24 hours.  Next day brush a few times then patch and the barrel is squeaky clean.

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 9/11/2019, 8:59 pm

Thanks; when my barrel had lead in it a while back, I bought a rubber stopper which plugged one end, and I let it sit overnight filled with Kroil.  

Right now, the barrel looks great - my concern was the chamber.  I'll buy a 40-cal brush and see if it works at least as well as the 45.  

I didn't think the chamber could have had lead on it - I assumed it was just fouling from having shot the gun.  At most, I've shot it for 150 to 200 rounds since I last cleaned it.

Last edited by mikemyers on 9/11/2019, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo....)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 9/11/2019, 9:24 pm

mikemyers "Right now, the barrel looks great - my concern was the chamber. "

Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52 Mad0235

Soaking it in a jar will clean the chamber as well!  Smile

Last edited by DA/SA on 9/12/2019, 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 9/12/2019, 7:04 am

FYI, Hobby Lobby has a lot of neat glass jars that can be used for this purpose. If you don't need something with a lid, some of their glass flower vases work.

Last edited by BE Mike on 9/12/2019, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 9/12/2019, 10:44 am

Another way is to take a 40 cal. brush, chuck it into a drill, dip in solvent and ream out the crud.  It won't hurt the chamber using a typical bronze brush.  DO NOT use a stainless steel brush.
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52 Empty bore brush

Post by toughmandave 9/12/2019, 11:16 pm

Here is what I did.  Order a bore brush (chamber flex-hone) from Brush Research Manufacturing.   brushresearch.com    $30.00  Place it in your power drill and with some hone oil you will have a clean bore/chamber in just a few strokes.  You won't believe what comes out and the polish job is awesome.

toughmandave

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 9/13/2019, 9:17 am

While.i use the flex hones to polish both rifle and pistol chambers I would not use them in any bore.  Polishing does remove material however slight
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 9/13/2019, 7:34 pm

Go big. The folks at AccurateShooter.com are trying to keep up with Eley's yearly announcements. 

Clean Your Barrels in Seconds with New Powered Bore-O-Matic

Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52 Boreomatic01aBest way to clean the chamber in a Model 52 Boreomatic02
Best way to clean the chamber in a Model 52 Boreomatic03a
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down