Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm considering a Browning Medalist. a wise choice or not?

+3
KCKral
gulliver62
JStraw
7 posters

Go down

I'm considering a Browning Medalist. a wise choice or not? Empty I'm considering a Browning Medalist. a wise choice or not?

Post by JStraw Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:59 pm

I am useing a Browning Buckmark URX . Will I see an improvement with the Browning Medalist or, is it
foolish to consider a gun that old? are parts available?

JStraw

Back to top Go down

I'm considering a Browning Medalist. a wise choice or not? Empty Re: I'm considering a Browning Medalist. a wise choice or not?

Post by gulliver62 Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 am

In my opinion there are so many other better choices.
Model 41, any number of High Standards, Marvel are all options in the medium cost range that I would not consider a Browning.

That said, I have seen folks post mid 90's at the long line with the Buckmark.

What 'improvement' are you looking for?
gulliver62
gulliver62

Back to top Go down

I'm considering a Browning Medalist. a wise choice or not? Empty Re: I'm considering a Browning Medalist. a wise choice or not?

Post by JStraw Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Well, being new to this sport, I generally have been somewhere
in high 300's to 400 in my score. felt that the grips and trigger pull may help.

JStraw

Back to top Go down

Post by gulliver62 Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm

I can tell you that one of our shooting buddies has posted over 850/900 with a Buckmark.

I think if you are more comfortable with a gun, you will shoot better purely by the fact that you are not thinking about the other things. If your trigger is bad, it will always be a problem. Changing grip and trigger you have a lot of options.

Hammerli 208 and like pistols give you a 2-stage trigger
Marvel will let you shoot the plunger type trigger of the 1911
High Standard and M41 have a similar feel.

There is a grip angle question (international like Benelli or 1911 style like high standard/M41 etc.). Once you get the angle you can go anatomical like Nille, Rink etc. if you like.

I don't know that much about the differences in the two Brownings but if you are not happy with the Buckmark I would suggest going with one of the other options.
gulliver62
gulliver62

Back to top Go down

Post by KCKral Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:25 pm

I think you're better off with a Ruger MKIII with a Volquartsen trigger upgrade than you are with a Buckmark. After the trigger is installed it puts you in the same price range.

KCKral

http://kralbuilders.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:14 am

Ruger MK III is in the same catagory as the Buckmark. Plenty capable, but not what the OP is asking about.

Besides the grip angle, there isn't much mechanical difference between a medalist and a Buckmark. The grips are different, but I don't see a point in "upgrading" to a medalist to gain grips. I would guess that some custom grips and a trigger job on the buckmark you already have would yeild a very similar result, as well as save you some money. THere is no gaurantee that you would like the grips and the trigger on the medalist anyway.

The only people I know who have medalists don't even shoot them...."too valuable" or "it's a collectors' item"....I've never even shot one...Shot plenty of buckmarks and challengers though.

JStraw, you have a good pistol already.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm

The Medalist is pretty to look at, but not practical for bullseye any longer. Magazines are hard to find. It would be hard to scope one and might destroy any collector value. Consider one of the other pistols mentioned for down and dirty bullseye shooting.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:49 pm

No upgrade really to switching to any of the standard production 22's, they all will shoot the ten ring at 50 yards if you get proficient with them, if you really want to upgrade, then the i would consider something with an adjustable trigger like the hammerli exsee or walther gsp or others. I also shoot with a person with a buckmark who shoots mid 800s with cheap cci ammo.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

I'm considering a Browning Medalist. a wise choice or not? Empty Browning Medalist

Post by JLK Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:34 pm

My first Bullseye .22 was a Medalist.
I bought it new in 1972 after using my Dad's Colt Woodsman the first few months.
I still have it and bring it out every once in awhile for old time's sake.
It is very, very reliable.

Two things I would be aware of is the standard grip although beautiful is very "full". I have what I would
say is a medium hand and they feel pretty big.
Rink does not list the Medalist but he does show grips for the FN 150 which I believe is basically the same gun.
You could call ROCO and ask. Here's a link to their website that shows an FN 150 and something called a "Herstal" which
I believe again is basically a Medalist.

http://www.rocosystem.com/competitionandtargetpistols/

The second thing is the shape of the trigger. It has a pretty sharp curve. Again I have a medium hand and the trigger
feels kinda "tight". Like it's rapping around my finger almost. ROCO may be able to help you there as well.

As far as a dot goes. BME makes a "no gunsmithing" mount that attaches to the ventilated barrel rib. There is nothing to
remove and does not mar or scratch the gun in anyway.

It's a quality gun that never really caught on. It in no way reminds me of a Buckmark though.
Good luck!
JLK
JLK
JLK

valbern67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JStraw Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks guys. think I'll do some more thinking on this.

JStraw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down