Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Barrel or Short?

+4
Jon Eulette
smsnyder
Sa-tevp
DrFixIt
8 posters

Go down

Long Barrel or Short?  Empty Long Barrel or Short?

Post by DrFixIt Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Hello all, while this is my first post I've been doing a lot of research on the forum for purchasing my first pistol. I've mostly been a rifle guy since I got into target shooting but now I'm looking to expand my horizons a bit and get a 22 pistol for learning basic marksmanship and may eventually do some local competitions. I think I'm pretty much settled on the Hammerli X-esse (still open for suggestions) but can't decide to get the Long IPSC 6" version or the standard Short 4.5" version.

Obviously the long version will have the longer sight radius but will also have more weight and be more difficult to carry if I ever decide to take it hiking with me for plinking. I also plan to eventually get a 9mm pistol, probably something like a Sig Sauer P210 or CZ Shadow 2, and I've noticed the barrel length on such pistols are also in the 4.5 to 5in range with similar sight radius to the Short version of the X-esse. If my primary goal is really just training and learning markmanship, does it makes sense to go with a shorter barrel? Do you really lose that much "potential accuracy" by going with a 1.5in shorter barrel?

DrFixIt

Back to top Go down

Long Barrel or Short?  Empty Re: Long Barrel or Short?

Post by Sa-tevp Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:49 pm

I have a Hammerli X-esse Sport and find the pistol is very light in weight compared to other 22 pistols. I like the long barrel as it give me more options for adding weight or a rail. The rear sight used by Walther/Hammerli is a bit goofy as it is a spring loaded sight and not a screw-jack.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:46 pm

The Sig P210 is way lighter that the CZ Shadow 2. I have a CZ Shadow 2 Accushadow.  All I can say its the best single double action I ever used. Its 9mm and I was hitting steel targets at 50 yards no problem. I also have an XEsse 22 pistol and love it. Super nice trigger. I have the 6 inch model.

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:17 pm

4.5" accuracy vs 6" accuracy is not an issue. They can most likely equal each other with quality ammunition from a machine rest. The weight and balance of the pistol are what's most important. Too light and you will struggle; takes more work on your part to hold steady. 6" .22 barrel is easy to handle. 6" 1911 barrel is a whole different story.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:12 pm

Sa-tevp wrote:I have a Hammerli X-esse Sport and find the pistol is very light in weight compared to other 22 pistols. I like the long barrel as it give me more options for adding weight or a rail. The rear sight used by Walther/Hammerli is a bit goofy as it is a spring loaded sight and not a screw-jack.

I'm considering adding an X-esse to my list of next 22 Bullseye Pistols.  The only one I see listed for mounting a red dot is the ispc model with a 11mm rail as a part of the barrel shroud.   It looks like all the models used to have it.   Is there an option for mounting a red dot on the other models like the Sport, Long, or Short models since Larry's Guns is not gone?

Would I be better off to save up for a Walther GSP Expert or SSP, or are the X-esse models good enough to reach master scores?   I currently shoot a HS Victor and it took me to Expert indoor and outside before I took a 10 yr. leave from BE competition.  I'm looking to add a new 22 pistol so I have a backup.
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:26 pm

How abut a Marvel on a dedicated lower? Just a thought.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 pm

I considered a dedicated lower with a Nelson or Marvel #1 conversion kit, but it seems I've read folks having a lot of trouble with ftf or ejection issues with those also.  I would consider it if I could find a built up frame with a good trigger that didn't need a lot of effort to make it work with the conversion (ie. sending it out to a gunsmith or getting one from them already to go).   Actually, I would prefer a 1911 since I love the way a 45 feels/fits in my hand.
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:22 pm

contrary to what you may have read, conversions very seldom have problems on reliable frames.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks James for your responses.   I missed one early this month on a Caspian frame with Nelson conversion, I'll keep looking!   I was considering buying a Caspian Foster receiver/frame and building it up, but was told the lower rails needed some work to use with a conversion since they are oversized a bit.  Probably too much precision work for my hand tools.
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Conversion will fit receiver with NO fitting!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:36 pm

Wow, thanks Jon, I guess I got some bad info. here.  Good to know, that gives me another option which is what I was initially leaning toward.
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by 45ACP223 Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:59 pm

Thanks to you guys, I'm now on the waiting list to get a new Nelson Conversion.  I called them today and talked with Larry directly.  Talk about good customer service, no rush, answered all my questions and more.   I'll mount it on my hardball gun to start with.  If I like it, I'll be looking early next year for a dedicated 1911 receiver, or maybe a Foster receiver.  Now the 9-12 week wait starts!
45ACP223
45ACP223

Back to top Go down

Post by DrFixIt Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info, I ended up going with the 4.5in short version, mostly because of the lower price and similar dimensions to larger caliber pistols. If the lower weight is a problem I'll at least add a barrel weight and maybe even some weight to the grips.

DrFixIt

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:20 pm

45ACP223 wrote:Thanks to you guys, I'm now on the waiting list to get a new Nelson Conversion.  I called them today and talked with Larry directly.  Talk about good customer service, no rush, answered all my questions and more.   I'll mount it on my hardball gun to start with.  If I like it, I'll be looking early next year for a dedicated 1911 receiver, or maybe a Foster receiver.  Now the 9-12 week wait starts!
You're probably going to be "suggested" that you put in a light main spring (not recoil spring).  If you tell Larry ahead of time what frame you're mounting it on, there may be some adjustments you'll need to make, especially if it's a Springfield.  Larry will probably want to know about the location of the mag release - in some cases you need to change that around.

Wonderful kit, and wonderful people to work with!!!!
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down