Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Volquartsen Scorpion for BE

5 posters

Go down

Volquartsen Scorpion for BE Empty Volquartsen Scorpion for BE

Post by mhayford45 10/6/2019, 4:53 am

I have read some of the previous threads on the VQ Scorpion. It looks interesting and I think I am ready for a change.

I was wondering how it stacks up to other BE .22s at 50 yards

How does it handle for TF/RF?

Is it well balanced? 

Also is the barrel ramped?

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Volquartsen Scorpion for BE Empty Re: Volquartsen Scorpion for BE

Post by Jwhelan939 10/6/2019, 5:18 am

I started bullseye with a Volquartsen Scorpion. I have the longer barrel and use the comp. That combo was perfect for me with the volthane grips and Eley Club. The balance was actually better than my Pardini. Accuracy is great too. I think the value to price is really high. It's a great gun. She just sits in my safe now. I have thought about selling her many times. Just can't bring myself to do it. 

The barrel is ramped. If your in SEPA let me know and you can try mine out.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 10/6/2019, 5:20 am

Forgot to add that I never had any problems with the Scorpion on Rf/tf. In fact, in 4 years I only had one jam and it was when I tried shooting without the comp on. With the comp it shot everything from cci sv on up.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 10/6/2019, 3:04 pm

How is the trigger compared to the Pardini?

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 10/6/2019, 3:15 pm

The trigger is good, but it isn't adjustable like the Pardini. The Pardini can be adjust six ways from Sunday. The Volqaurtsen is a nice smooth pool, but for the most part it is what it is.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio 10/6/2019, 3:39 pm

I have a Ruger/Volquartsen LLV-6 upper. It is more accurate than my S&W model 41. It balances well and loves Eley sub-sonic hunting ammo.  Shoots very tight groups.
Volquartsen Scorpion for BE IrJVsp6
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 10/7/2019, 12:11 pm

I have two Volqurtson Scorpions, long barrels. The trigger was nice, Jon Eulette worked on both made them a bit better. Very nice reliable pistols. However, far from my favorite.  I like the balance and triggers on my Model 41s and my High STD’s a bit better (heavier barrels for bullseye, for me the Scorpion is too light). Plus, I really prefer 2 stage triggers, and adjustability of my Euro pistols.

Also, mine are the Ruger Mark 3 style and are a PITA to strip and clean. 

That said, it’s as accurate as any of my others, and super reliable.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 10/8/2019, 12:50 am

To all that responded, thank you. 

A few more questions, Do you think the compensator works or do you like it mostly for weight? 

And for clarification....I shoot a Pardini and it has been a love/hate relationship. I am looking for something less muzzle heavy, lighter in weight and does not point left even after trying 6 different grips with offsets over the years. When I raise a Ruger, the sights align and it points correctly with no added input. I did not like the High Standard nor the M41 as they did not feel correct. I can pick up most any .22 and shoot master scores after I get the feel of the gun. I am just looking for  less compromises.  Therefore all my questions. BTW I like American made stuff...

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 10/8/2019, 2:00 am

Man, it's a shame the Pardini doesn't work for you. I love mine so much I'm looking to pick up an Hp frame so I can have an Hp and SP independent of one another.

The compensator did 2 things for me. It added muzzle weight, and it allowed me to use a wider array of ammo. Some ammo wouldn't cycle with the comp off. Via the RR I determined that sk pistol and Eley Club were the most accurate mid-priced ammo. The SK wouldn't cycle without the comp. The Eley would.

As far as the weight, I'll weigh them both for you when I get home so you have a comparison between the Pardini and the Scorpion. The only thing is I do not have a dot on the Scorpion right now, so the number may be slightly skewed. 

The Scorpion is 100% just as accurate as my Pardini as verified by the RR. The only reason I like the Pardini so much better is the adjustability of the trigger. I really don't think you can go wrong with the Scorpion. Hell, let me know if you want to trade for your Pardini haha. As always, if you local to SEPA feel free to contact me and you can try her out.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by gregbenner 10/8/2019, 6:03 am

I got a compensator for my Scorpion.  It is extremely light, I didn’t notice it.  Also didn’t notice any affect on recoil or muzzle flip. They do get dirty and need cleaning, and I’ve read they may negatively affect accuracy.  They do look cool though.

I would second the offer to work a trade for your Pardini. I have three conversions for mine, only one lower.  

I have both the upright and slant grip Volqurtson lowers, Jon replaced plastic triggers with metal ones.  Medium Rink grip on the slant version.

gregbenner

Back to top Go down

Post by mustachio 10/8/2019, 10:51 am

My Ruger/Volquartsen has the compensator. I don't know if it reduces recoil because I have not shot it without the compensator. I clean mine every time I shoot, regardless of round count. I keep it well slathered with anti seize grease (like the gold stuff you find on Glocks) on the inside. This grease captures the burnt and unburnt powder as well as any vaporized lead. After I remove the compensator I wrap a thin rag around a brush and clean out any residue on the inside. I then squirt break cleaner inside to wash out any left over stuff. It cleans it like it was new. I add more grease and the process starts again. If you neglect to clean the compensator it will build up a layer of lead that will be near impossible to get out.
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by Saladman 10/8/2019, 4:17 pm

If you're going to use one of those comps, get some silicone oil and lube it with that.  You can even bake it in.  Quite a few rimfire silencer owners use it on their baffles to make cleaning easier.  Admittedly I haven't tried it as I don't use the comp.

As far as the Scorpion, I actually slowly converted a Ruger MKIII 22/45 Lite into one by swapping out parts as I could afford a few years back.  The thing does get dirty.  Dirty enough in fact that it can interfere with the trigger mechanism, however, that was after several seasons worth of not cleaning it.  O_O  I also had the trigger bar bend on me which I've honestly never heard of with this style of pistol, so that may have been a one off.  VQ was happy to deal with it.  One major flaw of the MKIII series guns, scorpions included is the lack of an insert for the grip screws.  Mine stripped out and while I should have been more careful, small screws in an aluminum frame are not a great combo.  VQ also fixed that for me.  

As for weight, I added a 4.9" long 1/2" brass bar under the barrel.  I really like the balance with it, and while the gun could be heavier, it's fine as is.  The mount is 3D printed and set up so that, on this revision anyway, you can read the manufacturer's name so I don't have to explain to the curious.   Laughing

Saladman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 10/9/2019, 1:01 am

Scorpion 6" barrel 2 lbs 2oz
Pardini 2 lbs 9 oz

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 10/13/2019, 3:02 am

All good info.

as far as weight, did the Scorpion and Pardini have dots on them?

ordered a Scorpion without the compensator... 3 to 4 months as they are built to order. 

If I need more weight, I will add the add accessory rail first which is 2 ozs and weighs the same as the comp... 

With a Dot on it, it should weight close to the Pardini.... i thnk

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down