Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to Practice for Bullseye?

+3
LenV
BE Mike
GaryWWhite
7 posters

Go down

How to Practice for Bullseye? Empty How to Practice for Bullseye?

Post by GaryWWhite 11/5/2019, 8:13 am

Hi Guys,
I am a 69 year old guy with a bad back and know right now that I could not compete in an outdoor or maybe an indoor match because  I can't stand for any length of time and will probably be having surgery in December.  I have never shot a Bullseye match or really practiced to shoot one.  I need advice.  Here is what I have in my area.  We have a great indoor range (25 Yards) that I can shoot on Tuesday's all day for $7.50 (Senior Rate).  Why don't they just call us worn out old farts.  Anyways, they also have a (50 Yard) range but will not allow handguns to be shot in that area.  I cannot get a real reason why they do this!  Anyways, I was wondering if I shoot buy a bundle of 50 foot NRA official targets and try to shoot a match inside (practicing)?  I have a Springfield Armory TRP with a RDS that should be pretty accurate after all they money I've spent on it.  I will never sell it as I could not get out what I have in it and will use this as my go-to-gun for .45 competition.  I also have a nicely set up Wilson CQB that's 3 years old and has maybe a 100 rounds through it.  Just like to look at it and sometimes carry.  I probably should use this gun for competition (not!!).  My other gun which I really love looking at is a S&W Mod. 41 with a RDS which I would use for .22 rimfire competition. Will practicing on the 50 foot targets indoors really help me to compete?  Do those of you who compete indoors shoot at 50 feet?  I really am a newbie with a plethora of equipment but no experience.  Oh, I have one more gun that is a Wilson .460 Rowland Hunter which is my primary EDC.  For what it's worth, if I have to use this for SD I want to make sure whoever is the unlucky recipient of the round stays down.  I know shooting this without ear protection will speed up the process for the wearing of hearing aids but it might save my life.  Just sayin' because I could not defend myself physically because of my health.  Anyways, I will stop ranting and hear what you guys have to say.

GaryWWhite

Back to top Go down

How to Practice for Bullseye? Empty Re: How to Practice for Bullseye?

Post by BE Mike 11/5/2019, 8:38 am

I am long retired from bullseye because of physical limitations. I am in your age group. First off, I'd ask my physician if shooting a lot (bullseye training requires a lot of shooting and dry firing) should be done before your surgery. If your doc gives you the ok, your body will tell you how much training you can do. After your surgery and rehab, if your doc tells you it is ok to shoot a lot, then get with it. If right now, your doc thinks that after back surgery, you'll be green lighted to shoot bullseye, I would start getting familiar with the rules and read/ watch good videos about bullseye pistol shooting. Us old folks don't have much physical endurance, so outdoor 2700's might be out of the question even with a good back. Many clubs have much shorter courses, so check out those in your area. I would start with your model 41. If it functions reliably, it is good to go for bullseye matches. As you progress, your TRP might fit the bill or not. You'll figure it out. Good luck.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 11/5/2019, 10:46 am

First, move to Oregon  Shocked We have a winter league using NRA rules but not NRA sanctioned. All the shooting is at 50' with reduced targets. Indoors. The good news is that the league is "come as you are" If you have to shoot sitting down, leaning or two handed because your body has mileage, that works too. After 1 match you have an average and a handicap which is updated after every match. 
 Second, look for something like this in your area or just practice on your own. 50' ranges are great for practice and harder to get high scores.(with .22)

Len   also 69
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 11/6/2019, 11:24 am

For targets get some B16 25 yard reduced slow fire targets and some B8 centers. 25 yards is fine and you should master the B8 before worrying about 50 yards anyway. Are you in a wheel chair? How long can you stand before significant pain?
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 11/6/2019, 3:13 pm

You should not try shooting matches by yourself. This is a step by step training plan that works:

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/download?id=695

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11/6/2019, 5:03 pm

My local range is only 15 yards maximum (outdoor) and I have done almost all of my practise for 2700's this year using the NRA 50' targets. It is definitely good training for Bullseye, IMHO.

As far as scoring is concerned, it is said that the 50' targets are actually tougher to score on with a 22. The problem with these targets with a 45 is that if you start producing good groups you will blow out the centers and it is quite difficult to score correctly. But this is just practise and getting good groups is the objective - never mind the actual score!

To save time and minimise the amount of to/fro I generally staple 9 targets onto the (range provided) stands and shoot a 900 at a time. Your range may not permit you to do that. I use the Bullseye app on my phone as a timer for the TF/RF.

Several folks have advised me to concentrate on Slow Fire practise - good advice - and the USMC manual mentioned by robert84010 is also a good reference.

If you are not able to stand comfortably for long periods, then use a chair, or whatever works for you. This is a fun hobby - especially for Seniors - do whatever you have to do to make it fun!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ray Bersch 11/7/2019, 12:37 pm

robert84010 wrote:You should not try shooting matches by yourself. This is a step by step training plan that works:

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/download?id=695
The key to what Robert is saying here is "training" and the link provides all that you need to train.  Forget the practice stuff for now, especially if you are headed for surgery in the near future.  In my opinion, your goals at this point should be to have fun, get the fundamentals of "training" under your belt and into your head and prepare your body for the post surgery recovery - Physical Therapy.  Anything that you can do now to prepare your body for the post surgery PT regime will serve you well during that period.  

Bullseye shooting requires a lot of dry firing - that's not fun - so get that model 41, a boat load of .22 SV ammo and go shooting, that's fun.  Download the USMC manual, read the very first sentence of the introduction - believe it.  Then start working the manual at page 1-3. Understand the concept - (goal is a circular group fitting into a 5 1/4" circle) accomplish the goal.  If you can't do that try to discover why - sight alignment? grip? trigger control? breathing? bent barrel? Old brain?  If you can get to and complete the Basic Marksmanship Test before surgery you will have achieved a major accomplishment and you will be prepared for post surgery shooting - which, by the way, will likely require starting back at page 1-3 because your body will be different - hopefully pain free. At that time, however, you will have the confidence that you have performed, proven and mastered the concept of training. 

And FYI, I started shooting at age 74, I am now 75. I attended a Gunny Zins training, immediately after which I mastered the Basic Marksmanship Test but now I'm  facing right arm surgery.   So I am retraining - using my left hand - by dry firing and live firing (cause its fun) - at page 1-3 and looking to accomplish that 5 1/4" circular group.  

Oh, and one more thing - to paraphrase something the Gunny said to me "Hell, you can't shoot 10's at 25 yards.  What makes you think you can do it at 50 yards?"   

Good luck.
Ray Bersch
Ray Bersch

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryWWhite 11/7/2019, 6:27 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for the great information and moral support.  Currently, I am able to walk for about 10 minutes, stand for about 20 minutes and sit for about an hour in a comfortable chair.  I will be having a laminectomy and a spinal fusion at multiple levels so I'll be laid up for about 3 months and in physical therapy.  I am encouraged about shooting the indoor competition because as I have aged I have become a wimp about the weather (too hot or too cold).  I really probably enjoy my Model 41 more than my Wilsons or my Wilsonized SA TRP which I want to use for competition.  I will definitely take the kind advice on how to train and materials to read\study.  I really want to be active again and get into Bullseye.  I need to be active and productive as I rapidly approach my 70th year.  Thanks again!
Gary

GaryWWhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 11/7/2019, 8:14 pm

I shoot from a wheelchair, have since '69. I have had several back ops,
3 of them fusions. i'm about to turn 78 and for he past few yrs have shot at 10 yds. Targets are what I have, 25 & 50 yds. From what you relate I would sit between strings and stand to shoot. Try it to see. When you get a doc's opinion make sure he's not anti gun. Those have advised me against shooting. Period. Likely any thing done for muscle tone pre op is good.

I don't shoot as well today, the real falloff was soon after 70. I shot one 850 after that milestone...Soon after! The program you are embarking on will help you become a shooter. Don't get too hung up on scores. Let us know how you progress. Good luck and enjoy yourself!-
Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down