Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Fuzzy" 22lr ammo

+2
mustachio
GE-Minigun
6 posters

Go down

"Fuzzy" 22lr ammo Empty "Fuzzy" 22lr ammo

Post by GE-Minigun 11/12/2019, 3:35 pm

I purchased some Eley Tenex ammo from an auction over the weekend and have a question.  I have two bricks and each brick has different types of boxes, which is leading me to think one is older than the other, but that isn’t the question.  Question is all of them have oxidation on the bullets, the one looks like it’s just starting the other is “fuzzy”.  Will these harm the gun provided I clean after?  I’m thinking not.  Thanks for any information

GE-Minigun

Back to top Go down

"Fuzzy" 22lr ammo Empty Re: "Fuzzy" 22lr ammo

Post by mustachio 11/13/2019, 7:01 pm

picture please
mustachio
mustachio

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 11/13/2019, 7:06 pm

Greetings,

A while back I had some TENEX in which the lube dried out and the bullet formed a coating of Lead Oxide (white, fuzzy stuff).

Too cheap to destroy it as ELEY suggested, I carefully cleaned the bullet nose and applied Lee Liquid Alox.

I finally shot it all up at our local indoor League.

Now I can boast that I shot TENEX for record score.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Bull 12/5/2019, 10:54 am

There should be no harm, Lead oxide is actually an excellent lubricant, the issue would be with uneven distribution that might not be the best thing for accuracy.

B-Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 12/5/2019, 11:41 am

It's also will get dispersed in the air when you shoot and not great for you. You might be able to lay out some on a towel, then clean and relube in bulk to avoid doing each round by hand.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 12/5/2019, 12:33 pm

The fuzz could be fungal growth on the tasty lube (containing tallow) found on high end Eley ammo.  I wouldn't expect it on petroleum-based lube, but there could be some "blooming".  I have some 90's vintage SK Match from the CMP that does have a defined band of hard crusty grayish stuff at the leading edge of the case which I am pretty sure is lead oxide. Perhaps there was outgassing of decomposing VV powder.  Anyway it is thick enough to prevent chambering and difficult to remove - I don't think it would act well as a lube.

If the "fuzz" is soft, a sponge with a small slit or hole and some lube would fairly quickly relube the bullets, but likely wouldn't remove a layer of lead oxide.  If they chamber, I would shoot as is, at least for practice depending on testing, etc.

Anyone know what to do with 2000 rounds of SK Crap Match?

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down