Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Slide 6" Legal for Bullseye?

+6
zanemoseley
willnewton
oldsalt444
Tim:H11
james r chapman
GaryWWhite
10 posters

Go down

Long Slide 6" Legal for Bullseye? Empty Long Slide 6" Legal for Bullseye?

Post by GaryWWhite Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:45 am

I'm thinking about getting an Accuracy X pistol for bullseye with an extended barrel.  Would this be legal?
Thanks!
Gary

GaryWWhite

Back to top Go down

Long Slide 6" Legal for Bullseye? Empty Re: Long Slide 6" Legal for Bullseye?

Post by james r chapman Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:47 am

Steve Huff, AXI, is very knowledgeable of the rules, ask him.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:03 am

The rule book lists a barrel length limit I believe. I forget where in the rules but I know it’s there. Most likely I under “equipment”. Consult the NRA Rule Book online.

Back to top Go down

Post by oldsalt444 Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:19 am

NRA rules state barrel length cannot exceed 10".
oldsalt444
oldsalt444

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:24 am

Yes it is mostly legal. 

Rules state:

10” barrel limit including cylinder in Open and Metallic class.
5.35” barrel limit for semiauto and 6.5” for revolver in  Production class.
6.5” barrel limit for Distinguished Revolver.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:26 am

Hmm... Never heard of production class in BE.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:43 am

Hello GaryWWhite,

I'm all for a fellow buying himself a new gun or two but if you are new to Bullseye, I see that you list yourself as "not classified", I would recommend not investing in a long slide.  Long slide M1911s are heavier, of course, and also require a higher level of technique (hold, follow through, etcetera) to shoot as well as standard length guns.  I have a long slide Ted Yost Custom that is as accurate, if not more so, than any other M1911 I own.  I have to work a lot harder to reach the scores that I normally get with my standard length guns.  It really isn't the best choice for a beginner.

Jim
Long Slide 6" Legal for Bullseye? B11
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by cdrt Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:51 am

zanemoseley wrote:Hmm... Never heard of production class in BE.
It was in one of the rule books for one year and then dropped since it did not make any sense; something they do in IPSC or one of those disciplines. Now it's just metallic and open.

The rules for Open and Metallic:
1. Open Division - Any semi-automatic handgun or revolver using any sights, including telescopic, are permitted with the exception of those sights that project an image on the target. Barrel length, including cylinder, not more than 10 inches. Firearm used in competition shall be serviceable and safe. All standard safety features of the firearm must operate properly. If any firearm is observed to be unserviceable or unsafe, it shall be withdrawn at the request of the tournament director.
2. Metallic Division - Minimum caliber is .22 caliber or larger (including 7.65 mm and .45 caliber pistols and revolvers); barrel length, including cylinder, not more than 10 inches. All standard safety features of the guns must operate properly.

These were the rules for the Production Division. You can see why the NRA dropped it as a Division just by reading them.
3. Production Division - A Production Firearm is a semi-automatic handgun or revolver which is or has been a catalog item readily available to the general public equipped with factory notch and post sights. All standard safety features of firearms must operate properly. The firearm shall have no visible internal or external modifications except as follows:
a) Grips may be replaced or modified to fit the competitor’s hand or to facilitate loading. Checkering, stippling, grip tape and grip sleeves are permitted.
b) Barrel length may not exceed 5.35 inches for semiautomatic pistols and may not exceed 6.5 inches for revolvers.
c) Wide “target” style hammers and triggers, if included on the firearm as originally manufactured, are permitted.
d)The front sight must be a non-adjustable sight. The rear sight may be adjustable, sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm sight. Fiber optic sights are permitted.
e) Barrels may be replaced with original factory or after market barrels with the same configuration and caliber of the original barrel. Modifications to the slide or frame to facilitate the use of the aftermarket barrel are not permitted.
f) External finishes, either protective or decorative and other nonfunctional embellishments (such as engraving, inlays or inscriptions) are not permitted.

Last edited by cdrt on Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:57 am

There is no Production Divison for NRA anymore.

If you are talking NRA Precision Pistol Bullseye, then you have the answer already.

If you want to compete in CMP matches, then it's not.

Therefore buying a 6" or 1911 with extended sight or any combination of rib and sights (combined) will limit your participation to NRA tournaments only. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:14 am

CR10X wrote:Therefore buying a 6" or 1911 with extended sight or any combination of rib and sights (combined) will limit your participation to NRA tournaments only. 

CR
Now would not be the time to start out and limit your competition choices...

(Now this thread has me reading NRA rules quotes and grinding my teeth.)
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Hey, I just learned my rule book is out of date. Smile

Yours might be too!  Or you might not even know that there is a rule book! Here is a link for future reference.

You want to click the NRA Precision Pistol Rule Book (2018 edition) on this page

https://competitions.nra.org/competition-resources/rule-books/
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:17 pm

willnewton wrote:Yours might be too!  Or you might not even know that there is a rule book! Here is a link for future reference.
Read at your own peril and loss of sanity.  Laughing

Rule books are only useful when an argument breaks out. And these are too small to use as a bludgeon...

(Or is "throw the book at them" not meant to be taken literally?)
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:26 pm

Actually, the rules the NRA used for Precision Pistol for Production and Metallic Divisions were originally copied from the NRA Action Pistol Rules.  The NRA does try to maintain some consistency across the rule books for the various types of competition where possible.  (But nobody's perfect and not everyone will ever be happy about everything.  So pick what you want to worry about and move on.)

The Production Division participation was extremely limited since there were only a limited number of .22 caliber guns the could meet the criteria. (Single action guns were not allowed in Production - it was in the "prohibited section".)  

Metallic was kept since it allowed an "open sight" Division to be used and provided for in the tournaments since it does not exclude single action guns. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Slartybartfast Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:36 pm

CR10X wrote:The NRA does try to maintain some consistency across the rule books for the various types of competition where possible.  (But nobody's perfect and not everyone will ever be happy about everything.  So pick what you want to worry about and move on.) 
That is true. Beginning of every rule book they claim:

NRA RULES wrote:The arrangement and rule numbering systems are such that corresponding rules for other types of NRA competition are correspondingly located and numbered in the Rule Books for those competitions. Gaps in the sequence of rule numbers result from there being a rule in one or more of the other Rule Books that does not apply in this book.

Unfortunately the system broke down quite some time ago when someone (or multiple someones) forgot about this requirement and rules were added in different books without adjusting all the numbering in all the others. It should have been done using a master document and conditional text.
Slartybartfast
Slartybartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down