Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WST - is there something wrong here

+3
SteveT
TonyH
straybrit
7 posters

Go down

WST - is there something wrong here Empty WST - is there something wrong here

Post by straybrit Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:34 pm

Opened a new 8lb of WST (well, a couple of years old - but previously unopened) to load my 45. In the match I got a lot of variable loads. Finally got around to investigating this (again - see previous posts on the matter) and I note that there are black 'lumps' in the what I expected to be a uniformly grey powder.  I suspect that this is the cause of the issues I'm seeing - but frankly I have no real idea. Anyone got any input on this?

Thanks
Derek

WST - is there something wrong here Img_2010
WST - is there something wrong here Img_2011

straybrit

Back to top Go down

WST - is there something wrong here Empty Re: WST - is there something wrong here

Post by TonyH Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:32 pm

Try sending those pics to the manufacturer and see what they say.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

WST - is there something wrong here Empty Re: WST - is there something wrong here

Post by SteveT Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:40 pm

That's not right. +1 contact mfg.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike38 Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:44 pm

I started using WST recently, still on my first one pound can. Goes a long ways with 1.4 grain loads in a .32. Anyhow, I did notice some of the flakes are black but no lumps, but evenly distributed. I do however, mix up my powder before each use. I slowly roll the can back and forth over the bench, hold at a 45 degree angle and turn it in my hands. This could be what evenly distributes the black flakes. I've been "mixing up" powder like this for years. It may not be necessary, I think I read it somewhere.
Mike38
Mike38

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:42 am

Hogdon/IMR/Winchester contacted - let's see if they get back to me.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:15 pm

Maybe I am not seeing all the samples but there isn't much black in this lot. Is it that way straight from the oem can, and you hadn't dumped any from a measure back into the can?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Yup - right from the jug.  The one in the measuring pan is a check load (i.e. run a few through and check each one before actually putting bullets in the case) of 2.7g WST. That's a lot of black for very little powder. It's 2.7 because I was going to use up the small primers in the tube on 38s before switching over.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:35 pm

Oh l see the jug now. Wow.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by straybrit Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:13 pm

Annnnd - the manufacturer got back to me. Apparently the powder 'granules' have a graphite coating - which basically 'clumps' if left too long. The answer is basically shake it until they all break up.

Hmmm.

straybrit

Back to top Go down

Post by teg2658 Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:56 pm

In the early 90s I bought a 8# keg of WST, 10K WW large pistol primers all the same lot, and several 1000 packs of Nosler 185 JHP. Did this so my 50 yard loads would be the same for many years. I still have some of that WST, just took a look at it and it has not changed, looks the same as when I bought it, no break down, no seperation, no color change, etc.
 Just some food for thought.
Tom Ginovsky
2658 Club

teg2658

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:37 am

Dad and I used to shoot at 1000 yards with magnums.  We bought 3 100# kegs of the old surplus 4831.  Never had a problem with it over many years time. 

300 Wby, 378 Wby, 7 mag, and 338 Win.  7 mag did the best.  Both 7 Wby and the Remington
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down