Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kodiak Aimpoint H1 mounting question

+2
kc.crawford.7
Ray Dash
6 posters

Go down

Kodiak Aimpoint H1 mounting question Empty Kodiak Aimpoint H1 mounting question

Post by Ray Dash 1/13/2020, 11:29 am

I am looking to put a Aimpoint style red dot on my 1911 but I noticed that the stock mount doesnt have a lot of contact surface on my rail. I am wondering if the Zodiak mount does? Does anyone have any pics of the bottom rails and contact points?
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Kodiak Aimpoint H1 mounting question Empty Re: Kodiak Aimpoint H1 mounting question

Post by kc.crawford.7 1/14/2020, 6:39 am

The Kodiak mount is full length on one side with a steel locking insert opposite of the full rail.  You're probably going to have to open up the slot you want to use with the Kodiak to .195 in width to fit the larger locking screw.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Kodiak Aimpoint H1 mounting question Empty Re: Kodiak Aimpoint H1 mounting question

Post by Ray Dash 1/14/2020, 6:40 am

Thanks for the reply.
Ray Dash
Ray Dash

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 1/14/2020, 3:15 pm

Really, is there any thing bad about the standard Aimpoint Weaver type base?
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 1/14/2020, 4:23 pm

Jack H wrote:Really, is there any thing bad about the standard Aimpoint Weaver type base?

Hello Jack H,

On a .22, no.  On a slide mounted M1911, you will want to go with the Kodiak.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/14/2020, 4:39 pm

I've been using the stock H-1 mounts for 6 years now on many different 45's. No problems. I wish the Kodiak mount fit the weaver rails tighter when sliding it onto the rail. I've had a few that required tightening the hell out of them to get them snug on the rail. I do prefer their large crossbolt and steel locking insert.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 1/14/2020, 6:02 pm

One common problem with the Aimpoint bases is that they don't always meet the rail squarely. The little sliding clamp will cant at odd angles if the rail is a bit wide or a bit narrow. On a Weaver rail, I used a shim made from the tail of an .050" allen key to hold it out where it contacts at the top, just under the sight itself. On a Picatinny, they usually sit ok but can ride off-center.

Otherwise, you really have to tighten the heck out of the cross screw, and this stresses it because it's canted. The sight can slip and the screw can snap. If it hits perpendicular, no issues.

The Kodiak is adjustable for this issue, and I've had no trouble with it. But, they're longer than the Aimpoint solution, so they can have other issues in tight applications.

OBTW, check out the Aimpoint "LRP" mount they make for the Micros. Similar to Kodiak in shape and configuration, with a clamping lever. They fit Picatinny rails beautifully. Just an idea as alternative. (https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-micro-lrp-mount/)
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down