Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a good book on bullseye shoting

+16
BE Mike
jjfitch
jwax
djperry2
Sa-tevp
elfusaro
dronning
Vinkemulder
rreid
mikemyers
Wobbley
james r chapman
mspingeld
SteveT
DA/SA
smsnyder
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Need a good book on bullseye shoting Empty Need a good book on bullseye shoting

Post by smsnyder Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:46 am

I need all the help I can get. Targets look like they were shot with a shotgun. Lol

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Need a good book on bullseye shoting Empty Re: Need a good book on bullseye shoting

Post by DA/SA Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:50 am

No book needed. Just read the "Fundamentals" forum...it's all right here.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Need a good book on bullseye shoting Empty Re: Need a good book on bullseye shoting

Post by SteveT Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:08 am

Pistol Shooters Treasury if you can find a copy at a reasonable price.

Advanced Pistol Guide - If you go to the Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry you get a copy, so some shooters have multiple copies if you ask around or available from the CMP

With Winning in Mind for the mental game

Bullseye Mind for the mental game
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Outthere likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:04 am

I've read it all. Everything you need to know is right here: http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/12PPC01.html

Then search this forum for all posts by Ed Hall, Jon Eulette and Cecil Rhodes.

If you can follow all of that advice, you'll be a high master in a week!

Good Luck

mspingeld
Admin

Outthere and mostly22lately like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by smsnyder Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:11 am

Thanks guys

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:16 pm

Could start here.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:51 pm

Get or print a copy of the USMC workbook and shoot that program. 
smsnyder wrote:I need all the help I can get. Targets look like they were shot with a shotgun. Lol
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Outthere likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:01 am

Suggestion:   I posted a video in your previous thread about the Pardini.  The title of the video was "Aiming is useless".  Like everyone else, I used to think if I followed the advice here, and bought a good gun, good results would follow.  Not so easy - and that video made a HUGE difference to me.  It turns out I was concentrating on the wrong things.

I predict that if you watch and learn from the video, that alone will turn your "shotgun pattern" into a group.  Don't worry so much about aiming, or better ammunition, and all the other things mentioned in those books and web pages - if you don't get this ONE THING RIGHT, all the rest are "useless".

All the ideas posted above are likely to help you, but in my opinion, for whatever that's worth (and Bob Leatham's opinion, which is worth 1000 times more than mine), you should learn how to work the trigger with minimum disturbance of the gun.  Everything else is fine tuning.

Do what he suggests, as a test, and I predict you will see immediate improvement in your groups.  (ALL the other ideas listed up above are excellent, and useful, and the Pistol Shooter's Treasury book (that you can buy from Amazon) won't matter until you improve this.

Last edited by mikemyers on Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:05 am

To answer your posted question:
https://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Shooters-Treasury-Second/dp/B003XSZW2C
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:02 pm

All of the above and "The Inner Game of Tennis"
rreid
rreid

BE Mike and Jwhelan939 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Vinkemulder Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 pm

The above plus 
Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella
This book is very good for bullseye too.
Vinkemulder
Vinkemulder

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:46 pm

Vinkemulder wrote:The above plus 
Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect by Bob Rotella
This book is very good for bullseye too.
+1
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:54 pm

Wobbley wrote:Get or print a copy of the USMC workbook and shoot that program. 
+1
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t5966-usmc-pistol-team-workbook
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by elfusaro Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:58 pm

Has anyone written a good book on Bullseye Shooting with a Red Dot in the past few years. Everything is based on iron sights which preach the old front sight,  front sight method.  Most red dot shooters I talk to are now focusing on the target more.

elfusaro

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:52 pm

Focusing on the target or the dot is a personal preference.

Personally, a dot focus works best for me with the dot centered in the scope.

Try both and see which works best for you.
DA/SA
DA/SA

elfusaro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:03 pm

elfusaro wrote:Has anyone written a good book on Bullseye Shooting with a Red Dot in the past few years. Everything is based on iron sights which preach the old front sight,  front sight method.  Most red dot shooters I talk to are now focusing on the target more.

Not a book but an article by Brian Zins: Aiming the Red Dot Sight
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by djperry2 Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:52 pm

The two best pistol shooting books I have ever read are "The New Pistol Shooter's Treasury 5th Edition". It is found in the Bullseye Education Library at the bottom of the forum.

The other book is "Feeling Center" by Bruce Martindale. The link is found at the top of the forum homepage.

Both are excellent books covering all the basics and finer points too. Red dots are covered as well as iron sights.

Every time I re-read a chapter I pick up something else I can use to improve my shooting.

The absolute best thing learned is most bad shots are the result of poor trigger control. Dry fire while paying attention to the shot process is your best friend.

Darrell

djperry2

bruce martindale, Outthere and Arthur like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:41 pm

jwax
jwax

bruce martindale, chopper and Gustavo1957 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jjfitch Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:01 pm

"US Army Marksmanship Training Unit Pistol Marksmanship Manual"
jjfitch
jjfitch

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:45 am

This post is four years old. Did the OP get any books? Does anyone know if the OP is still shooting?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:39 pm

Doesn’t matter, but hope so.

Even if not, others will benefit. All good.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

msmith44 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:38 am

First thing when shooting Bullseye is admit to yourself that you know nothing about shooting bullseye! I have heard Marksmen that claim they know everything needed to shoot a 2650 though but can't shoot 2100! I have to admit I was somewhat the same listening to advise. I listened to quite a few shooters that thought they knew everything but couldn't shoot. All they knew is how to give advise. It was when a friend of mine that was at the time a lifetime Master introduced me to a few current top shooting Masters (High Master was not a class at that time) They schooled me on the facts, in one year I went from Marksman to Master. I was willing to forget all that I thought I knew and accept advise from proven top shooters, that also included gun selection!
 Get advise from the best, look at the guns they use and understand that all that you thought you knew about shooting is probably incorrect!
 My son Adam was made coach of the AMU pistol teams. As everyone knows a service pistol team has to include a new shooter. So it was Adam's job to teach new shooters to the level needed to compete in that Service Team Match. When the shooter selected did shoot some pistol Adam found it difficult to get them to top level but someone that knew nothing was much easier simply because they didn't have any old habits to overcome. When Adam had tendon problems in his right arm he switched to left hand shooting, in one year he was able to break 2650 left handed. One thing he did was to ask top shooting left-handers for advise. With what he knew about shooting right handed and advise from left-handers he quickly learned to shoot left handed! For example what side do you put the pistol box on the bench when left hand shooting? All told him the right-hander side!

Froneck

Jwhelan939 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 pm

Froneck wrote:For example what side do you put the pistol box on the bench when left hand shooting? All told him the right-hander side!

That's because the wind at Perry only blows from the west! Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 pm

Yeah especially if the gun box is the dog coup type monster some shooters drag to the line to hide behind! However one reason is so you can put up screen to stop getting hit by brass from shooter on the left side.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 pm

Froneck wrote:Yeah especially if the gun box is the dog coup type monster some shooters drag to the line to hide behind! However one reason is so you can put up screen to stop getting hit by brass from shooter on the left side.

Guilty as charged.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next