Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition

+16
chiz1180
DA/SA
mpolans
NuJudge
dapduh2
mikemyers
jglenn21
Wobbley
sharkdoctor
CR10X
Tim:H11
James Hensler
bpettet
james r chapman
10sandxs
jshank
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition Empty 22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition

Post by jshank 8/8/2020, 4:44 pm

Are any serious bullseye competitors using 1911 frames with 22 conversion kits, or must one use a dedicated precision pistol i.e. AW92, Pardini, Matchgun etc?

jshank

Back to top Go down

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition Empty Re: 22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition

Post by 10sandxs 8/8/2020, 4:46 pm

Lots of us do... marvel and Nelson are what I've used...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition Empty Re: 22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition

Post by jshank 8/8/2020, 4:58 pm

I like the 1911 platform because it is so easy to cock the hammer in dry firing practice.
The next question is who makes the best 22 conversion kit.

jshank

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/8/2020, 5:04 pm

Champion shooters have been known to shoot in no particular order;
MARVEL
NELSON
ADVANTAGE ARMS
COLT ACE
to name a few.
Make sure you get the target versions.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bpettet 8/8/2020, 5:05 pm

Rimfire conversions for 1911's are hugely popular in competition.  The ability to use the same grips, trigger, sights, feel, etc across the course is very smart.  I have Pardini, Matchgun, Hammerli, etc but will be using Marvel conversions in the next few matches, including the TX state championship in Sept.  Conversions are very competitive at every level.

bpettet

http://www.stratos2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 8/8/2020, 5:27 pm

Sure a lot of shooters use them! They normally raise their arms after a string of Time Fire or Rapid Fire! Lmao! Kinda kidding but not really
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/8/2020, 5:55 pm

Been shooting next to Mikey, huh!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

James Hensler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 8/8/2020, 6:37 pm

I’ve broke 890 with my Nelson. Conversions will flat shoot. The question so many ask is are they accurate enough? The main concern with a 1911 conversion isn’t accuracy but instead making sure it’s reliable with the ammunition you plan to use. One of the big reasons people shoot a 208 or AW93 or Pardini etc, is reliability. Conversions have to be tested and tuned. That being said, do the leg work and you’ll have a fine shooting iron that will lend its self to learning the 45.

bpettet and chiz1180 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 8/9/2020, 6:07 am

Yes, they are good enough. I've bested 890 as well and shot the Mayleigh twice with a conversion. 

It's generally a question of if the shooter is good enough and doesn't mess with the setup too much.

Mine (and I have several of various makes) are as reliable or more reliable than the higher end guns.  (And I never get lost in trying to set up the trigger  Laughing Shocked )

CR

CR10X

kc.crawford.7 and bpettet like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jshank 8/9/2020, 11:03 am

In looking at the Marvel Order Form for Unit 1 I see various upcharges for tighter groups $200 for .3-.399”; $150 for .4-.499”; $100 for .5-.599” and  $50 for .6-.699” any thought on group size and is it worth spending the extra to upgrade.  Also any thoughts on the threaded barrel option for extra barrel weight

jshank

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 8/9/2020, 11:35 am

I recall seeing a number of 22LR conversion uppers (won't mention brand) on a table at the National Matches, along with 10 shot groups of various sizes, and corresponding prices (smaller groups =  higher price).  Each group included the ammo used.  Without the testing procedure described, number of groups fired, etc., all ammo used, it is hard to tell if the accuracy difference is significant, and the additional cost, warranted.  On the other hand, even a 0.7" group is less than 1/2 an X-ring at 50yds. What's in your wallet?

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/9/2020, 11:42 am

Well, with the price of ammo being what it is, it might pay to get the .3 to .399 accuracy level.  It probably won’t make you shoot better but it’s the price of a case of ammo.  After shooting a case of ammo, you might improve to the point where it’s a dead even improvement in your score, but then maybe not.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bpettet 8/9/2020, 12:32 pm

I like removing variables...most of them are on me but there's something satisfying about not having equipment questions in my head.  This is mostly mental.  Only you can answer your question but if it were me, I would take some mechanical question out of it.

bpettet

http://www.stratos2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 8/9/2020, 2:15 pm

Barrel test are most likely done with one given brand of ammo.. and even more specific probably one lot...

If it shoots say .66 with that ammo, does that mean it will not shot better with brand B... just saying

jglenn21
jglenn21

Richard Ashmore and Jon Eulette like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/9/2020, 3:08 pm

All will shoot better off bags or RR than you ever will!
Bank on it
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

bpettet and James Hensler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 8/9/2020, 4:34 pm

I have a recommendation for Nelson.   I bought their kit a year and a half ago or so, and spent many months trying everything Larry told me to do to cure a problem - for the first magazine the gun worked, but from then on, at least one or two rounds per magazine didn't fire.  Fount that pulling back the hammer again and firing alway worked.  Larry and his son decided there was something in my chamber that wasn't allowing the rounds to go in all the way.  This was after changing ammo, changing springs, and other things they suggested.  I gave up, sent it back, with the understanding they would either fix it for sure, or send me a replacement.  So, shortly before my last trip to India, a brand new Nelson kit showed up.

It hasn't been touched yet.  I would prefer to only have one issue at a time, one gun, to be concerned with.  In the next few weeks I hope to set it up again.

Back to where I started, Larry and his son (Kevin?) helped me all they could, and eventually replaced the kit with a new one.  When I first bought the kit, they told me they would do that.  They obviously stand behind their products, and I've got nothing but good words to say about them - and the kit was everything I hoped for, and more!  

I'm not a "professional", but everything I've heard and experienced makes me think the Nelson kit is an excellent way to go.  I have only two "negative" thoughts, the trigger pull stays as stiff as it was for shooting 45, and however much I like and enjoy my Nelson, I prefer my High Standard X-Series.  Personal preference.

It takes a while for the kit to be made and delivered, but it's worth the wait.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 8/9/2020, 7:17 pm

the trigger pull stays as stiff as it was for shooting 45.
Quite easy to adjust the sear spring or buy a separate sear spring. Have one at a lighter weight for the .22. Can be switched out in seconds.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge 8/9/2020, 7:41 pm

It is likely that you will shoot this conversion a lot.  There is a Marvel upgrade I would encourage you to pay for, and that is a steel slide, as opposed to an aluminum one.  If I am going to subject a part to cyclical stresses a lot, I much prefer it to be made out of steel.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 8/10/2020, 12:36 am

dapduh2 wrote:

the trigger pull stays as stiff as it was for shooting 45.
Quite easy to adjust the sear spring or buy a separate sear spring. Have one at a lighter weight for the .22. Can be switched out in seconds.
Or, look at it as a way to have a consistent trigger pull across .22, CF, and .45.  If you want to win, you've gotta have good trigger control through all of them.

mpolans

CR10X likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 8/10/2020, 5:41 am

the trigger pull stays as stiff as it was for shooting 45, 

People that just want to shoot a .22 may see this as an issue.  Those that want to learn how to shoot a 2700 and pick up some distinguished points see it as a plus!

Besides, any trigger pull in the 3 plus pound range will generally result in a more reliable conversion unit.  

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA 8/10/2020, 6:54 am

mpolans wrote:Or, look at it as a way to have a consistent trigger pull across .22, CF, and .45.  If you want to win, you've gotta have good trigger control through all of them.
This was the reason for recommending a .22 conversion to Mike when he bought his wadgun, but it was apparently completely overlooked, as the conversion kit remains in the box unfired.
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 8/10/2020, 7:17 am

DA/SA wrote:
mpolans wrote:Or, look at it as a way to have a consistent trigger pull across .22, CF, and .45.  If you want to win, you've gotta have good trigger control through all of them.
This was the reason for recommending a .22 conversion to Mike when he bought his wadgun, but it was apparently completely overlooked, as the conversion kit remains in the box unfired.
Dave, yes, my replacement Nelson kit remains in the box, un-fired.  My first kit arrived a year or so ago, and I could never get it to work correctly.  After the first magazine, rounds wouldn't seat in the chamber, and it took two tries to fire them, once to seat the round, and the second to fire it.  Kevin (Larry's son) said that the only thing left, after we tried all his other ideas, was that I had a rare problem where the chamber was too tight.  I sent the kit back, and when the Nelsons were unable to correct it, they sent me a replacement kit.

You're correct, I returned from India in late January, it's now August, and I haven't got around to setting up the Nelson again.  I was tempted to sell it, but haven't.  My enthusiasm for the Nelson kit is inversely proportional to my enthusiasm for shooting my new High Standard X-Series.  

Guilty as charged.    :-/

(....and I've also got my new classic Victor from Roddy Toyota, and my older High Standard, and my Model 41 which is now all set to go, with Clark barrel, and. finally as reliable as it was for the first 30 or so years when I was shooting it.  If I knew everything a couple of years ago that I know now, it's unlikely that I would have followed the advice and bought the Nelson at all...)
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 8/10/2020, 7:50 am

Hearing all of this just reinforces my decision to buy my Pardini. I have to only learn 2 guns and triggers for everything. 22,CF,and 45
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 8/10/2020, 9:53 am

James Hensler wrote:Hearing all of this just reinforces my decision to buy my Pardini. I have to only learn 2 guns and triggers for everything. 22,CF,and 45

If you shoot a conversion the argument is the same and you don't need to change grip angle.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 8/10/2020, 10:14 am

chiz1180 wrote:
James Hensler wrote:Hearing all of this just reinforces my decision to buy my Pardini. I have to only learn 2 guns and triggers for everything. 22,CF,and 45

If you shoot a conversion the argument is the same and you don't need to change grip angle.
Kinda but I get to shoot a 32 for center fire with a 2.5lb trigger and 45’s need to have a 3.5. Horton’s grips for my Pardini and 45 are so close I can’t tell the difference

Last edited by James Hensler on 8/10/2020, 1:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next