Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition

+16
chiz1180
DA/SA
mpolans
NuJudge
dapduh2
mikemyers
jglenn21
Wobbley
sharkdoctor
CR10X
Tim:H11
James Hensler
bpettet
james r chapman
10sandxs
jshank
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition - Page 2 Empty 22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition

Post by jshank 8/8/2020, 4:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Are any serious bullseye competitors using 1911 frames with 22 conversion kits, or must one use a dedicated precision pistol i.e. AW92, Pardini, Matchgun etc?

jshank

Back to top Go down

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition - Page 2 Empty Re: 22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition

Post by mikemyers 8/10/2020, 11:47 am

Hmm, not that it matters, but if my choice was between a Nelson kit, a Pardini, and the new High Standard, I'd still go with the High Standard.  .....which is all about me, and likely doesn't apply to you.

Considering how well you shoot, why not try out the Nelson before you do anything else?  It's not all that much of an investment, and were you to decide you wanted to sell it, it would be snapped up here in this forum in a heartbeat.  

If you have half an hour, watch this video from beginning to end.  More than anything else, this video documentary convinced me to buy the Nelson kit.  Watch the whole video, including the installation suggestions near the end.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIpPMFm5ubM
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition - Page 2 Empty Re: 22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition

Post by james r chapman 8/10/2020, 1:03 pm

Shine that Apple 🍎.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 8/10/2020, 1:18 pm

It’s dipped in gold Jim
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 8/10/2020, 3:08 pm

Marvel conversion: 100-8x
Jon
22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition - Page 2 20200810
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 8/10/2020, 4:42 pm

Tell me more about your Horton grips.  Do you need to have a flat mainspring housing to put them on?  Do they have an adjustable palm shelf?  

My big complaint  about other custom grips for 1911 that I have tried is they provide no support for the thumb.  If I don’t have the ability to put some of the gun weight on my thumb with a little overhead shelf,  it leads to me gripping tighter, and also thumbing the gun.   A big no no,  might as well just shoot with straight grips when that happens.

I also don’t like them varnished.   Pretty is nice but shiny is slick especially in those Ohio summers.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G 8/10/2020, 4:45 pm

Second from the top - two pictures of Dick Horton's 1911 grips. For what it's worth, I love mine.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t11075-dick-horton-match-grips-new-e-mail-address
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/20/2021, 7:27 pm

I asked Jon Shue what his .22 was he used shooting 892 out of a 2660
Score.

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition - Page 2 5d3d7910

Does this answer the question!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

22 Conversions? - Good for Serious Bullseye Competition - Page 2 Empty .22 LR Consistency

Post by Richard Ashmore 1/17/2023, 8:38 am

jshank wrote:In looking at the Marvel Order Form for Unit 1 I see various upcharges for tighter groups $200 for .3-.399”; $150 for .4-.499”; $100 for .5-.599” and  $50 for .6-.699” any thought on group size and is it worth spending the extra to upgrade.  Also any thoughts on the threaded barrel option for extra barrel weight
I once went to the Eley Customer Range with three Hammerli pistols.  They had seventeen different lots of TENEX to test.  There was zero correlation between how any lot of ammunition performed from barrel to barrel.  Each lot of TENEX is unique and so is each barrel.  

Conclusion:  Each test outcome is valid for a specific barrel and lot combination.
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 1/17/2023, 10:07 am

I think a fun experiment would be to take a box/lot of good ammo and shoot 4 thirteen shot groups, under "best conditions" - good rest, etc.  On each target, label each shot individually as 2, 3, 4 of spades up to ace.  Next target, clubs and so on.  Get yourself a deck of cards and deal 5 card hands.  Overlay the targets, and plot the "hand" e.g. 8 of spades, K of hearts and so on.  What sizes are 5 shot groups?  Where are they on the target, that is, how does group center vary?  I have done similar with 100 yd groups with 22LR match rifles and the variance I see has been instructive.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2