Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Member - Long time shooter but new to any type of comp

+4
SonOfAGun
John Dervis
Deerspy
brownnatep
8 posters

Go down

New Member - Long time shooter but new to any type of comp Empty New Member - Long time shooter but new to any type of comp

Post by brownnatep Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:41 pm

Hi everyone.  I am new and open to any advise and knowledge others have to share.  I am a long time "shooter" and grew up shooting every type of gun around.  I would say I am decent but don't hold a candle to anyone shooting in comps.  I really want to try and I am starting out slowly.  Here are a couple of details that I would love some expert guidance on.

My bullseye gun is a Ruger Mark III.  Had it for years and have always enjoyed shooting.  Since I am thinking about some match shooting I have changed grips to hogue and added a truglow front sight and I like it a lot.  As far as rear sights......change them? don't change them?

Any other Mark III mods?

What are the regs on sights?  Iron sights only?  I so some people posting with red dots and such.  Those are okay as long as not magnification or not okay at all?  Still reading up on different rules and all so forgive the ignorance.

Another type of match at local shooting venue is bowling ball pins.  I have numerous hand guns for this but I want a new one.  Really lost in all the options.  I will say we can narrow it down by price.  Looking for a model less then $1000 unless I get great really soon, lol.  Here are  my thoughts and brainstorms.....

I like the 1911's.  Yay Nay?

9mm or 45.  Seems like the 9mm will allow me to get back on the target faster but should I go with a 40 or 45 for more knock down?
I have several Ruger's and have always been a fan.  I am looking at the 9mm Ruger 6759 Target Model.  Thoughts?

I am around Savannah GA.  Any competitions near here to watch big boys shoot?

Any other wisdom from the pro's?  It is appreciated.

brownnatep

Back to top Go down

New Member - Long time shooter but new to any type of comp Empty Re: New Member - Long time shooter but new to any type of comp

Post by Deerspy Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:44 pm

that Mark lll will be good for 22 and take you a long way
for bullseye you will need a 45 to shoot 2700 match 
90 rounds 22
90 rounds Center fire (32 to 45)
90 rounds 45 
most use 45 for center fire then you only need two guns!

Deerspy

Back to top Go down

New Member - Long time shooter but new to any type of comp Empty Re: New Member - Long time shooter but new to any type of comp

Post by John Dervis Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:55 pm

Welcome to Bullseye and the forum.  

Your Ruger Mklll will work fine to get started. In NRA competition you can use either iron sights or optics with optics being red dot type or a low power magnification scope.  I would say a majority of people use a non magnifying red dot but I've gone back to irons and having more fun doing it so it's whatever you are comfortable with.  There are some matches you will see where iron sights are mandatory (CMP 22 EIC) but the NRA matches are larger with more shots being fired.  A full NRA tournament is known as a 2700 which means there are 270 total shots being fired.  In that full tournament, these 270 shots are broken down into 3 calibers (22, Centerfire, and 45) where you shoot 90 shots with each gun.  When you are just starting out, you can use your 22 for all three phases.  You'll usually be limited in awards to just the 22 phase but you get to build up your experience level shooting the whole tournament.  Since a 45 is required eventually, the 1911 is king of our sport.  You will see some other guns and calibers but you can compete at any level with just your 22 and a 1911 in 45.  

Someone should be along to let you know about matches that are close to you.

Sorry but I don't know anything about bowling pin shooting but someone here might have some experience with that as well.

Good luck.
John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:53 am

Having recently become interested in bullseye shooting myself, I found the following link very helpful.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:20 am

Go to a match.  

Watch, ask, talk, help out if you can, and participate when you feel ready.  

All your questions and many more will be answered. (And most with more than one answer.)

Congratulations, its a great sport!

CR

Last edited by CR10X on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by brownnatep Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Thanks this is opening my eyes.  My local shooting club has a .22 only bulleye competition.  I did not realize the actual is a two gun sport.

brownnatep

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:28 pm

Actually NRA 2700 can be with 3 guns, .22; any centerfire .32 or up to .45; and .45. You can also shoot with open sights or scope (dot or magnification).

Then you can play with the CMP which is pretty much the same now, but the EIC (Distinguished matches require open sights.)

So, lots to choose from but in reality, just take your Ruger with open sights and some ammo and get started.

All the rest will work out in time, depending on your interest ..... and available funds to support your hobby.
CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:21 pm

Here in Jacksonville we have matches the first and third Sunday every month. The first match is what some call a club match or fun match. It's like a police match that's shot at 25 and 15 yards. Mainly it's for new shooters to see what a match is and what's involved. The match on the third Sunday is an NRA match shot at 50 and 25 yards. We encourage anyone and everyone to join us. We're a great group to know. All matches start at 9:00 AM. Afterward we go to lunch and talk shooting and solve the worlds problems. We have one person that comes from your vicinity to shoot so if it's not too far for you do come. We have one of the finest ranges around. In April we sponsor a 3 day match called the Dixie matches. people from all over attend. There's even some military that come.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:56 pm

I would strongly encourage you to attend the Jacksonville matches. Shoot the regular match ASAP. Shooting with and watching experienced shooters will soon answer questions supplying much of the info you seek. Plus the guys there are a good group.

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkF45 Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:10 am

I live in Savannah. Are you talking about the 17 South match on the third Sunday?

The closest NRA sanctioned matches are in Orangeburg, SC and JAX, FL. 2 hrs and change either way, depending on which part of Sav you live in.

Either practice with me, or go to a match. Shoot your Ruger just the way it is for now, You can always mod it later, if you want. You will learn more at your first match than a year on the web.

Mark

MarkF45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down