Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield Trophy Match-2019

+6
james r chapman
willnewton
zanemoseley
troystaten
Larry2520
Big_Red
10 posters

Go down

Springfield Trophy Match-2019 Empty Springfield Trophy Match-2019

Post by Big_Red 1/29/2020, 5:40 pm

Anyone know how well the Springfield trophy match bitone produced in 2019 were. I’ve got a friend who bought one and never shot it. Offered it to me at a deal as an entry level bullseye gun. Would this be better off than a SARO?

Big_Red

Back to top Go down

Springfield Trophy Match-2019 Empty Re: Springfield Trophy Match-2019

Post by Larry2520 1/29/2020, 6:47 pm

I know nothing about that particular gun but Springfield's are a good gun. That being said it really depends on how deep into the sport you want to go. Rule of thumb if it doesn't do two inches at fifty you won't go far. Now that being said most people don't shoot as well as their equipment can. Most factory guns have to be worked by a good smith. Decide how far you want to go (and hope you get to where you want to be) buy what you feel is worth it and have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Red 1/29/2020, 7:39 pm

These guns come factory with a Kart NM barrel. I figured for the same price as a RO-I can’t turn it down. It’s an odd piece. I can’t find anything about them but worse case-it’s a Springfield custom shop.

Big_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten 1/29/2020, 8:12 pm

Sounds like it is worth taking a risk on at that price. I would buy it at that price.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 1/29/2020, 8:28 pm

Looks like the front strap is also checkered. That along with the Kart barrel makes this a winner for sure if it's priced same as a RO. Buy it before he changes his mind.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Red 1/29/2020, 8:47 pm

I have committed to purchasing it. Checkered front strap and the Kart barrel sealed the deal. Not sure how the magwell with work. Probably putting rink grips on it so it may be an issue with fit. I surprised more of these didn’t show up in the bullseye world.

Big_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 1/29/2020, 8:55 pm

I owned a stainless TM and a stainless RO.  Was a bit pissed off with the TM.  It was no better made than the RO, except the front strap checkering.  No better barrel, parts, slide fitting, nothing that would make it a better pistol accuracy wise.

I gunsmithed both pistols out to full on Bullseye spec and ended up selling the TM back to the guy I bought it from because I preferred the slide scope mount on the RO vs. the frame scope mount on the TM.

Bottom line, the pistol may not be much better than an RO, but you are getting a TM at an RO price minus the cost of checkering the RO strap and can take advantage of the higher resale value of the TM.

Buy.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big_Red 2/4/2020, 3:04 pm

Picked up the gun. Slide to frame and barrel lockup was pretty good. Just a little frame slip. Disappointed in the trigger fit. Heavy and the trigger has some slop side to side. Shake the pistol and you can hear the trigger rattle. 

Any recommendations on what to do with that trigger?

Big_Red

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 2/4/2020, 4:05 pm

Send it to Salyer for rebuild
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth 2/4/2020, 4:38 pm

If you aren't in a huge rush to get it reworked by a smith, send it to Jon Eulette. You'll never see a negative thing about him anywhere.
KBarth
KBarth

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian 2/4/2020, 4:54 pm

Big_Red wrote: Any recommendations on what to do with that trigger?
Red,

The rattle of the trigger is addressable two different ways.  1) use a hammer stirrup mandrel to stretch the stirrup so that it is in closer contact with the frame's trigger track or 2) fit a different trigger with a wider width shoe.   As an engineer, I did the latter and also made sure the stirrup was also a good shape and fit.

If your stirrup is rattling, there is a good chance it is too narrow and is dragging on the magazine which could be part of why the trigger feels terrible (that is if you dry fired it with the magazine installed).

Many recommendations on which trigger to use from high masters in previous posts. If you want to do sear and hammer too there are lots of threads about the True radius sear and KC's teardrop/battle axe. 

I have been playing with different components recently and found a sweet trigger with C&S match trigger, EGW hammer, EGW pins, EGW ball disconnector, Harrison TR sear, and a new Colt sear spring.  Everything in that list is of exceptional quality and can be dropped in with the exception of the trigger and the ball disconnector.  The disconnector only takes sandpaper to reduce the ring on the disconnector until it fits.  The trigger is doable with sandpaper on a flat surface.  Obviously the fire control smoothness can be made better with a fine ceramic stone, but my test fit was so good that I would have been OK skipping that step.   

My reason for telling you is that I find that I enjoy working on machinery and learning how things work.  You can get parts advice here and try it yourself.  If you don't like the result, then give it to a gunsmith.
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 2/4/2020, 10:19 pm

Big_Red wrote:Picked up the gun. Slide to frame and barrel lockup was pretty good. Just a little frame slip. Disappointed in the trigger fit. Heavy and the trigger has some slop side to side. Shake the pistol and you can hear the trigger rattle. 

Any recommendations on what to do with that trigger?
If you want to throw it on gunbroker and grab a trophy match that’s already had the work done just check commercial row.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/4/2020, 11:31 pm

Just get a “drop in” hammer &sear combo from KC Crawford or Cylinder and Slide.  Then see how it feels.  To cure side to side you can SOMETIMES cure that by bending the bow that goes around the Mag to take out side to side.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down