Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mantis X dry firing training system.

+8
GerhardG
SingleActionAndrew
dapduh2
aub1957
cuslog
frazitl2
javaduke
IT1 Wes
12 posters

Go down

Mantis X dry firing training system. Empty Mantis X dry firing training system.

Post by IT1 Wes 2/4/2020, 12:02 am

Speaking of dry firing, has anyone tried the Mantis X dry firing training system? They're up to the X 10 version which tracks your live firing at the range, but you can still get the X2 version for in home only dry firing. It's only $99. It does require some sort of rail or sight mount.
IT1 Wes
IT1 Wes

https://bookspublicdomain.com

Back to top Go down

Mantis X dry firing training system. Empty Re: Mantis X dry firing training system.

Post by javaduke 2/4/2020, 6:45 am

I have one and I like it. It came with a plastic picatinny rail which I glued to the bottom of the 1911 magazine. The app has many different training modes but I only use the open training.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Mantis X dry firing training system. Empty Re: Mantis X dry firing training system.

Post by frazitl2 2/4/2020, 5:38 pm

My better half bought me one for Christmas and I find it really helpful.  Really good feedback on good shots vs bad, and tracks my (somewhat uneven) progress.  The X10 has lots of options, but I too use the open training strong hand only almost exclusively.  Was having inconsistent shot sensing especially with Nelson 22 conversion on steel 1911 frame with ultradot.  Great customer service has it sorted out through online examination of my shot data.

frazitl2

Back to top Go down

Post by cuslog 2/4/2020, 8:44 pm

I bought one almost 2 years ago now -- used it quite a bit for the first few months, was quite impressed with what you get for the $.
Really quite good feedback on flinching or jerking the trigger (especially for the $)
Then I bought a high end air pistol and set up an indoor range in my basement -- haven't used the Mantis X since - but of course, the A/P was more money.
If you don't have the $ for a quality A/P, then a Mantis X would be a close second choice (for me anyway).

cuslog

Back to top Go down

Post by aub1957 2/5/2020, 10:00 am

I bought one last year and have it mounted on an M45a1 for dry fire practice. I think I paid $150 for it. Love it. It is great to be able to replay and analyze your shots.

Need to buy another one for service rifle.

aub1957

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 2/6/2020, 9:15 am

I’m actually a rep for them. I love their products because you get data from firing and dry firing that can help with improvement. I would email them often with ideas or things to incorporate and eventually they offered me a job haha. I didn’t want to move to Illinois so they asked if I could be an independent rep. I’ve been on board since last summer and have yet to attend any events for them lol, too busy with full time job. But I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have if you private message me. I use a NCstar rail attached to the front of the trigger guard located under the dust cover. It works great and is cheap. Mantis also sells adapters to attach to magazines but I think the way I do it is better. Mantis X dry firing training system. 09a2c110
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 2/6/2020, 1:19 pm

How is the data collected off the unit - by plugging it into a computer via USB or does it require a "smartphone app?"

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2019/09/06/exclusive-feds-demand-apple-and-google-hand-over-names-of-10000-users-of-a-gun-scope-app/#40f052f62423
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 2/6/2020, 1:32 pm

It does require a smartphone app and it is connected to the phone via Bluetooth. As far as I understand, the data is stored locally on your phone, but you can create a free account and share your results with other people (which I'm too embarrassed to do, lol Wink)

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 2/6/2020, 2:24 pm

Bluetooth to phone. Not only can you share with friends but you can make fun challenges.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by frazitl2 2/10/2020, 6:19 pm

David,

Regarding a Mantis X10, I'm using the rail adapter on the magazines for a caspian 45 and a colt gold cup frame with a Nelson 22 conversion.  Getting pretty consistent shot recognition but usually 8 out of ten with the 22 after some help with a custom app from Mantis.  What advantages are you seeing with NCstar rail?
Thanks in advance...

frazitl2

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 2/10/2020, 6:26 pm

I can’t really compare the two because I never tried the magazine adapter. The reason I never considered using their mag adapter was because I wanted to use the device during live fire as well. If it’s stuck to a mag then you can only use it for half of your shots on the short line. I’ve never had issues with the device not recognizing shots when I use it on my Nelson conversion with the ncstar rail.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by frazitl2 2/11/2020, 7:23 am

Ordered one. Thanks

frazitl2

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 2/11/2020, 9:13 am

frazitl2 wrote:Ordered one.  Thanks
Let us know your thoughts. I’m going to play around with the recoil analysis(X10 model) during live fire some more coming up soon. I’d like to get pros and cons of that if you or anyone else plays with it.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 2/12/2020, 1:20 pm

I went to the range during my lunch break today to play with the recoil meter option on the Mantis X10. Basically it breaks it down like this. 

You can view each shot individually for recovery time, degree muzzle rise, degree recoil width, and degree recoil angle. It also averages them all over the course of however many rounds you decide to shoot for that particular session. Example of muzzle rise on my 19th shot pictured.Mantis X dry firing training system. 3b3aa910

Last edited by dapduh2 on 2/12/2020, 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Double picture removed)
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by GerhardG 2/18/2020, 5:58 pm

Fellow shooters, I tried mine for three weeks and decided to return it. My laser red dots on my Kimber 45 or my S&W 38 special bodyguard help me more with my follow-through. One of my team members has one of the earlier editions and he likes it. Different strokes for different folks.

GerhardG

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 2/18/2020, 6:23 pm

GerhardG wrote:Fellow shooters, I tried mine for three weeks and decided to return it. My laser red dots on my Kimber 45 or my S&W 38 special bodyguard help me more with my follow-through. One of my team members has one of the earlier editions and he likes it. Different strokes for different folks.

To me it’s a tool in the toolbox. It encourages me to dry fire more because it’s fun and gives me instant data. I think some need that data because they aren’t sure what they are looking for when dry firing. Was there something wrong or a reason you disliked it so other can make a better informed decision?

Also, do you stare at the laser or your sights when dry firing?
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by GerhardG 2/18/2020, 8:17 pm

I have nothing bad to say about the MantisX10 but suggest each competitor try it and evaluate it themselves.  Amazon would be the best due to the return policy. I tend to mostly focus on my target and observe the wobble and any change after the shot process.

GerhardG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp 2/19/2020, 7:21 pm

I have an older MantisX that I use mostly on non-target pistols. It is interesting and fun for different training but someday I would like to see one compared to some high-zoot data capture systems like a SCATT or a Rika system.

For a target pistol I favor regular dry fire practice or Ed Hall style red dot trigger purity indicator training.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?p=111706&sid=25e85e22b0c887be55a255b624d34753#p111706
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by frazitl2 2/29/2020, 7:27 pm

Dadpuh2
I tried the NCSTAR rail on my Goldcup/Nelson 22 with the Mantis X10.  Had a bit of trouble getting a good fit, but used a shim to protect the trigger guard finish, and some longer 3mm screws to get it installed securely.  Not any real change in shot recognition, but now I have more mags to work with.  I added a .015" shim cut to fit for a secure install.  Seems to work well.  Probably the difference between a Weaver and Pic rail dimensions...

I tried the recoil analysis on the Caspian 45ACP.  Works fine, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for except better repeatability.  I obviously need lots of timed and rapid fire practice...

Still happy with my purchase of the Mantis X10.

frazitl2

Back to top Go down

Post by tovaert 3/1/2020, 9:32 am

dapduh2 wrote:I went to the range during my lunch break today to play with the recoil meter option on the Mantis X10. Basically it breaks it down like this. 

You can view each shot individually for recovery time, degree muzzle rise, degree recoil width, and degree recoil angle. It also averages them all over the course of however many rounds you decide to shoot for that particular session. Example of muzzle rise on my 19th shot pictured.Mantis X dry firing training system. 3b3aa910
I'm also interested in the Mantis X. I'd like to use in on multiple pistols. It seems like the NcStar adapters will work (perhaps with some minor mods) on my Colt pre-70 NM and SA 1911-A1. Do you think it would fit on a pistol with a squared-off trigger guard (photo attached)? I notice NcStar also sells one for the Glock. Would that be a better choice to try?

tovaert

Back to top Go down

Post by dapduh2 3/1/2020, 9:34 am

My guess would be it does not fit. The piece that attaches to the trigger guard is rounded to fit the trigger guard profile. And I wouldn’t try a glock one because the part that snugs up against the dust cover wouldn’t fit.
dapduh2
dapduh2

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 3/1/2020, 9:37 am

I made some small sections of pic rail on my 3D printer.  They are small enough to fit on a 1911 mag base as well as anyplace else on a gun.  I use 3M heavy duty double sided tape and it works great on any gun I put it on.

Mantis X dry firing training system. E874aa10
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover 3/1/2020, 9:39 am

Mantis X dry firing training system. 555fac10
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by frazitl2 3/3/2020, 7:04 pm

In my short experience, the mag baseplate adapter is the best/easiest option unless the user wants to use the MantisX system during competition or league type settings... Very little performance difference with the NCStar adapter, though I have two...  I know,  spend the money and effort on ammo and shooting time.  

Terry
learning in the Bullseye desert of NV

frazitl2

Back to top Go down

Post by 30calfun 3/22/2022, 1:03 pm

I've been looking at these, and the Mantis X3 has both dry fire and live fire capabilities for $169. They also have a 45 day return policy if you don't like it, though the buyer pays return shipping.

30calfun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down