Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

22LR PRACTICE ammo

5 posters

Go down

22LR PRACTICE ammo Empty 22LR PRACTICE ammo

Post by Guest 3/5/2020, 9:36 pm

OK, I know that there have been a zillion posts about CCI SV (1,070fps, so just sub-sonic) and lots of posts comparing 50yd group sizes for all of the leading (and, surprisingly, not so leading, brands, etc.). On the strength of those reports I'm now using Lapua Pistol King (950fps) for matches at $9/box - it is great - I'm not!

BUT - I'm still confused about what constitutes the best "Pistol" 22LR ammo, especially for practise. When I look at most of the ammo labelled specifically "pistol" or "pistol match" it is typically at or below 1,000fps (an exception to that is CCI Pistol Match which is - guess what? - 1,070fps - the same as CCI SV).

I've recently been using Aguila Super Extra (1,130fps) for practise cause it is very inexpensive (sometimes just on $2/box in bulk), very reliable and was recommended by the original owner of one of my target pistols. BUT, I now realise that it is actually relatively high velocity and may not be best suited for target pistols.

Aguila Sub-Sonic 40gr (1,025) obviously has a somewhat lower velocity and is also quite modestly priced at about $2.60/box, but I never hear it mentioned?

Aguila Pistol Match 40gr (925fps) is less than $4/box, about half the price of most other "Pistol Match" grades, but obviously relatively costly compared to the other "cheap" ammo.

I'm close to burning through all of my current stash of practise ammo and need to order more. Almost all of my practise is done at 15 yards, so I'm not looking for Long Line accuracy. Should I just buy some more of the "cheap as chips" Aguila Super Extra, or should I try to be less rough on my expensive target pistols and stump up the extra for somewhat lower velocity ammo?

Last edited by james r chapman on 3/6/2020, 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Bickar spelling Nazi ☺️)

Back to top Go down

22LR PRACTICE ammo Empty Re: 22LR PRACTICE ammo

Post by REConley 3/5/2020, 9:46 pm

The fps concern centers around the speed of sound and the effect of the added drag that is present as a bullet drops below the speed of sound. Hence, target ammo generally is slower than 1116 fps or there about.  1070 fps is not an issue for the CCI.

Note CCI Select target 22LR is advertised as 1200FPS.

Last edited by REConley on 3/6/2020, 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 3/5/2020, 10:13 pm

Roy, you should be GTG with Aguila SE. It's plentiful now, and inexpensive. I wouldn't go cheaper than that in a target pistol. You're welcome to go more "up-market".

And it's spelled "practice" on this side of the pond Laughing
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 3/5/2020, 10:14 pm

The listed FPS for most .22 is from a rifle barrel, IIRC.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/5/2020, 10:18 pm

john bickar wrote:Roy, you should be GTG with Aguila SE. It's plentiful now, and inexpensive. I wouldn't go cheaper than that in a target pistol. You're welcome to go more "up-market".

And it's spelled "practice" on this side of the pond Laughing
Darn spell checkers!

OK, very good, thanks John.

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape 3/6/2020, 9:47 am

Per one of the earlier posts, I bought Geco Bolt-Action Optimized 22 LR.  After shooting first five rounds, I though that I wasted a lot of money.  It didn't cycle slide on my 6" Kart.  However after first mag I've never had a problem again.  I didn't run snake as I normally do when switching ammo, and that might of been contributing fact.  Prior to me trying Geco, I had shut Federal GM.  At this point I'm almost brick worth of ammo, and quite happy with it.  It is very inexpensive, and clean.  I cannot judge accuracy of the ammo - it is definitely more accurate that I am.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 3/6/2020, 9:54 am

Has anyone of you ever chrono’d 22 ammo from your pistols??
I have and the velocities are way below what’s printed on the boxes! So I can tell you if you think for example CCI SV is coming out of your barrels at or even close to 1070 you are wrong
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by SonOfAGun 3/6/2020, 10:23 am

radjag wrote:...

BUT - I'm still confused about what constitutes the best "Pistol" 22LR ammo, especially for practise. When I look at most of the ammo labelled specifically "pistol" or "pistol match" it is typically at or below 1,000fps (an exception to that is CCI Pistol Match which is - guess what? - 1,070fps - the same as CCI SV).

From CCI website, re: Pistol Match product:

"940 ft/sec in a six-inch pistol (1070 ft/sec in rifle)"

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=5&loadNo=0051
SonOfAGun
SonOfAGun

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 3/6/2020, 10:46 am

My Pardini is a 6 inch and at the muzzle with old stock CCI SV it’s FPS was 979 in November and 978 in December with 2 different lots. With the new stuff it dropped down to 959 in December and 959 in March from 2 different lots
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down