Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

School Me On Bullets: shape/jacketed/coated/etc.

+2
BE Mike
hengehold
6 posters

Go down

School Me On Bullets: shape/jacketed/coated/etc. Empty School Me On Bullets: shape/jacketed/coated/etc.

Post by hengehold 3/7/2020, 11:35 am

I am new to Bullseye shooting (9mm 1911 & SW41) and will begin loading for pistol for the first time. There seems to be a lot of options for bullets. Round nose, flat nose, jacketed hollow point, jacketed, hi-Tek coated, copper plated, various diameters for same caliber, and the list goes on.

Is there a general consensus on what is the best choice strictly for BE competition?

Thanks,

-TH

hengehold

Back to top Go down

School Me On Bullets: shape/jacketed/coated/etc. Empty Re: School Me On Bullets: shape/jacketed/coated/etc.

Post by BE Mike 3/7/2020, 12:06 pm

I think that jacketed bullets are easier to get good accuracy for 50 yard shooting and jacketed hollow point probably top the full metal jacketed versions for most folks. I've been testing loads with various coated 9mm bullets, but only at 25 yards and decent 50 yard accuracy might be unobtainable. I never cared for the accuracy of copper plated bullets, but my experience with them is dated. I think it might be easier to work up a 50 yard accurate load with the JHP. You must test your loads at that distance to find out how they will shoot. Once you find an accurate load that will hold the 10 ring at 50 yards, just load a bunch and start training. At the beginning, the training will get you more points than spending a lot of time, energy and money on trying to get that 1.5" group.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

School Me On Bullets: shape/jacketed/coated/etc. Empty Re: School Me On Bullets: shape/jacketed/coated/etc.

Post by Wobbley 3/7/2020, 12:30 pm

In 9mm there is a great bullet in the Hornady XTP or HAP 115 grain.  Some have good luck with the 147 grain but that is dependent on this rate. Other JHP can also shoot well.

Plated bullets are disappointing.  There only use, IMO, is for training for run and gun shooting.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 3/7/2020, 5:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. As a competitive rifle shooter, I can say that the hollow point boat tail is the gold standard for rifle bullet design. Of course there are the plastic tip Bullets that work well also. However, the HPBT is what all designs are compared to.
It sounds like the jacketed hollow point may be the gold standard for pistol bullets. Yes?

I see that semi-wad cutter shapes are available for some pistol Bullets. Is this design inherently more accurate than others or is it just used for its clean hole cutting ability?

-TH

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 3/7/2020, 6:00 pm

My 9mm experience is limited but I'll throw my 2 cents in. I built a 9 with a 1/32 twist KKM barrel. I originally wanted to try a 1/24 twist but they didn't have any. So since I heard the AMU used that twist I went with it. The first and only load I've tried was basically a factory load of 3.7 of 700x behind a 124 grain wadcutter bullet mad by a company that doesn't exist anymore. I've been wanting to try a Magnus bullet that looks similar but haven't. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised at the preformance. That being said you more than likely have a 1/10 twist so I couldn't recommend anything with any confidence. Good luck!

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by hengehold 3/7/2020, 7:01 pm

The 9mm I will be loading for has a 1-16 Kart fitted by Salyer. I think that means I will need to use 147g or 124g Bullets.
-TH

hengehold

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 3/7/2020, 7:41 pm

Actually, you can use any bulls you like.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by watercam 3/8/2020, 8:56 am

Trevor, check your PM

watercam

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 3/8/2020, 9:12 am

Salyer will give good advice for an accurate load for your gun.
Call him.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 3/8/2020, 5:58 pm

Actually you can ask someone their opinion but when it comes down to it the best thing to do is get some of each bullet and experiment with various loads. All guns have favorite loads they like and you'll have to find out what that is on your own. Get a load book or go to load sites on line and don't go over the recommended load. Have fun with it!

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down