Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HTC PTU with jacketed bullets?

3 posters

Go down

HTC PTU with jacketed bullets? Empty HTC PTU with jacketed bullets?

Post by hengehold Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:10 pm

Is it good practice to use an HTC powder transfer unit (see link below) for jacketed bullets or is there a reason that it should be used with all lead bullets?

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/45htc-ptu-lnl-ap.html

-Trevor

hengehold

Back to top Go down

HTC PTU with jacketed bullets? Empty Re: HTC PTU with jacketed bullets?

Post by WesG Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:33 pm

I use it with all my lead bullets. They're all the same diameter anyway.

I think a jacketed bullet would just fall in the case, so I think that's a no-go.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:40 pm

hengehold wrote:Is it good practice to use an HTC powder transfer unit (see link below) for jacketed bullets or is there a reason that it should be used with all lead bullets?

https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/45htc-ptu-lnl-ap.html

-Trevor
It is loaded question, Trevor.

Let me express my thoughts on the subject, and you should decide for yourself.

Firstly, WesG is absolutely correct about OD difference.  Most JHP bullets are sized at 0.451", while most lead/HTC bullets are sized for 0.452"/0.453".  Bearing surface on #68 and JHP bullets (i.e. Zero) is very close (~0.270", if I remember correctly).  Hence you can't use same setup for both, as neck tension will be non-existent for JHP bullets.  So you would need to up ever slightly powder die/measure to provide for at least additional 1/16 - 1/32 for neck tension while loading JHPs.

Secondly, you might need to use two different crimp dies.  The reason behind, - as soon as JHP bullet out of neck tension area there is a potential for gasses going around the bullet if there are any gaps left.  While it is purely theoretical, we need to remember that different brass has different spring back.  In short, - testing is necessary to determine if this is a factor.

Thus from technical stand point, yes, you can use HTC PTU for loading JHP bullets.  However this is where "can" and "good practice" needs to be decided based on testing.

Hope this helps.
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down