Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dri Fire laser cartridge for practice

+2
Oleg G
troystaten
6 posters

Go down

Dri Fire laser cartridge for practice Empty Dri Fire laser cartridge for practice

Post by troystaten Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:15 pm

Hey everybody I have seen ads for a dry fire device that looks like a cartridge and has a little laser that when you pull the trigger it fires the laser at the target and keeps the score on an app for your phone.  I was wondering if anybody has tried it. The product comes in different calibers. 

https://www.drifire.io/products/shop?fbclid=IwAR1t8S-zB_UTk1dwG9hrc0qZ8wzKAMsLAUGRR4wF7OrMkHLw1HK6NtzZgas&utm_lkey=gj88z&utm_source=shortlink10:14:45

I have a feeling I am not going to be able to get to the range for quite a while with this current Covid virus issue.

take care

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Dri Fire laser cartridge for practice Empty Re: Dri Fire laser cartridge for practice

Post by Oleg G Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:54 pm

This product looks to be a clone of another product called, iTarget. There is also a more sophisticated tool, called LASR app, which installs on your PC (and they have a tablet version).

All these products have the following in common:
1. They use a laser cartridge, which inserts into a barrel of your gun and a target, which registers the hits of the laser.
2. Because you see immediate "results" of your shot on a target, it makes dry firing practice less boring.
3. They tell you absolutely nothing about the important parts of your shot process, which all occur at the gun and not at the target.

As Cecil Rhodes said more than once on this forum (paraphrasing): "Marksmen scope the target to see where their shot landed; Masters scope the target to verify that the shot was on call."

Therefore, as an alternative, I would advise to use MantisX (cost-effective) or SCATT (much more expensive, even in its most basic form). These tools show you the trace of your dry shot (or even a live shot) to demonstrate to you where in the shot process you deviated from your plan - or executed it flawlessly.

Having said this, anything that gets you to dry fire more is beneficial, so if you have your heart set on it - go for it and dry fire!

Best Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Dri Fire laser cartridge for practice Empty Re: Dri Fire laser cartridge for practice

Post by troystaten Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:59 pm

Thank you Oleg. 

Stay safe and sane.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 pm

That Mantis X product certainly looks more complete but I would have to either do the grip adaptor or the magazine adaptor for my 1911 or glue one on the bottom of a magazine for my model 41.  Thanks for the info.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:17 pm

You're right about Mantis X - an adapter will be required. If you decide to go with the laser bullet system, one piece of advice: every time you insert the laser bullet, its point of impact will be in a different place than before. Simply because, the cartridge does not align perfectly in your barrel every time. Therefore, don't waste time, trying to hit the center of your target. Just work on nice round groups, no matter where they actually land.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks Oleg.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:06 pm

Ok guys how do you attach this Mantis X to a non rail pistol...tape ?

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 pm

Skid wrote:Ok guys how do you attach this Mantis X to a non rail pistol...tape ?
I bought the barrel mount from scat and attached a piece of picatinny rail. I have it for my 22,32,and 45.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:46 pm

Thanks I see how that would work.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:01 am

I bought a Ramlite magnetic Picatinny adapter for 1911. This was a small company that designed and produced magnetic adapters for a range of pistols. Quite ingenious - you can find the guy's videos on Youtube. You can still sometimes find them on Ebay. Here is an example of a Ramlite laser that is currently available on Ebay - not a Picatinny adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RAMLITE-M1911-LASER-RED-MAGNETIC-for-EARLIER-1911s-without-picatinney-rail/114156937872?hash=item1a9448a290:g:k2wAAOSwYY1ealyL

Another option would be to use something like NcStar Picatinny rail, although putting it on and taking off would be more cumbersome than Ramlite.

https://smile.amazon.com/NcStar-Pistol-Accessory-Adapter-MAD1911/dp/B0058DC00W/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ncstar+picatinny+rail+1911&qid=1585137638&sr=8-1
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:12 am

Mantis offers an inexpensive solution.

https://mantisx.com/collections/rail-adapters/products/magrail-magazine-floor-plate-rail-adapter-universal

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:16 am

I 3D printed my own to fit the base of a 1911 magazine.  Works like a charm.  Used 3m heavy duty tape to secure.  Works for dry and live fire

Dri Fire laser cartridge for practice C885f510
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down