Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

old 22 eley black label MATCH ancient

+4
Wobbley
Jon Eulette
WesG
r.tornello
8 posters

Go down

old 22 eley black label MATCH ancient Empty old 22 eley black label MATCH ancient

Post by r.tornello 4/4/2020, 3:51 pm

It's been in my safe, in an unheated garage, the lead is gray,no wax or lube, in their 50 round boxes in a closed box since the early mid 2000s, approx 2003/4. I live in VA. the Temp goes from below freezing to 100 plus in the garage. I say there is a brick of ammo there. Any body have any experience with something like this or should I use the lead for shielding on my subatomic black hole propulsion generator and the propellant for the initial launch into orbit?

Seriously, its old but so am I and I still work. I was wondering.

Thanks,
RT
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

old 22 eley black label MATCH ancient Empty Re: old 22 eley black label MATCH ancient

Post by WesG 4/4/2020, 5:07 pm

I can think of a simple way to find out. And a brick should be a significant sample size for statistical analysis.

WesG

Back to top Go down

old 22 eley black label MATCH ancient Empty Re: old 22 eley black label MATCH ancient

Post by r.tornello 4/4/2020, 5:09 pm

me too, shoot it! Just wondering as opposed to my usual ready-shoot-aim MO.
Unless you have another idea.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 4/4/2020, 5:23 pm

My only other thought is not to use the lead for shielding. A black/wormhole generator is in effect a time travel device. And my calculations suggest the lead could be transformed back to the uranium it decayed from, and possibly 'go off' in the process.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 4/4/2020, 5:56 pm

I had a stash of RWS  R50 hat was phenomenal. Had it in a storage shed and broke it out. Tried it and thought dang its still good. First match with it, it blooped a 5 at 6 o’clock at 50 yds. It immediately became training ammo lol.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello 4/4/2020, 6:34 pm

If you read a proposal in Science News the propulsion system would be contained and not effected by time travel. Now these were subatomic in size. The issue of growth was mentioned but I don't recall your issue being mentioned. The shielding would be magnetic. I was just looking for a back yard mechanics answer to the problem. As Sheldon in Big Bang tried to do, take the radioactive material from smoke detectors and build a small in home reactor to generate power for the house.  Maybe I could use the lead for that and take myself "off the grid"!

Other comment re older ammo, yeah I wonder. I think I like my shielding answer better. Maybe I'll see if the range will take them and do whatever they want.
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by WesG 4/4/2020, 7:29 pm

Yeah, one of the proposals estimated you'd have to annihilate the equivalent mass of Jupiter to power the thing.

The Sheldon story happens to be real, BTW.

Nice stories. I read some your other others awhile back.

WesG

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/4/2020, 7:46 pm

I’m sitting on a brick of Federal GM Ultra Match and a couple of Bricks of Eley when I dabbled in Smallbore.....from the 1990s.

I’m hoping they'll hatch and I can get another brick or two....
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

old 22 eley black label MATCH ancient Empty Eley

Post by xman 4/4/2020, 8:20 pm

And I have a full brick of Eley target in the yellow boxes hoping that they will breed from my days of shooting metallic silhouette also back in the 90s .
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by jchurch 4/4/2020, 9:14 pm

FWIW,  shot high school rifle in 70's. Our practice ammo was mil surplus.  Came out of the box green..  99+ good rounds with the occasional WTF round.  Plenty good for practice.  Loaded 50 cal ammo for  B52's in Air Force in the 80's.  Never once saw a round that wasn't made in the 30's.  Good enough to go to war with...

jchurch

Back to top Go down

Post by xringdave 4/5/2020, 11:35 am

Here is Match ammo from the 70's maybe 80's I'm still sitting on.
xringdave
xringdave

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 4/5/2020, 12:03 pm

I did question the OP's choice of the word ancient. I have some 73 black box and a handful of Gramp's WWII .22 ammo. That gets closer to "ancient"

Len   "Almost ancient"
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

old 22 eley black label MATCH ancient Empty SuperMatch three

Post by xman 4/5/2020, 12:04 pm

SuperMatch three
That Winchester super match three really brings back memories that is what my college team used for matches .we use T 22 for practice but the coach would hand out the Super Match for matches only. As I recall all the bullets were very very gooey with lubricant , but it shot great for gallery applications . Would probably do just as well and outdoor shoots also I really liked it.
After graduation the coach would sometimes throw me a brick or two to shoot in open small bore prone matches .
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down