Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eley Plastic Box Fix

+10
10sandxs
Mpm42
Centerline
chopper
Wobbley
chiz1180
Wes Lorenz
james r chapman
JKR
RoyDean
14 posters

Go down

Eley Plastic Box Fix Empty Eley Plastic Box Fix

Post by RoyDean 8/24/2023, 10:55 pm

OK, so for those of you who hate British! (By that I mean the Eley "made in England" rather flimsy plastic boxes!). Today I happened upon a neat fix.

I had run out of my favourite Aguila practice ammo and had to resort to some locally purchased CCI SV. During some break time at the range I looked at the 100 round CCI plastic box. Fiddled with some cardboard 50 round boxes of CCI and then came up with this:- 

1. Take an empty CCI 100 round plastic box. Carefully remove the perforated plastic tray.

2. Take two empty CCI 50 round boxes - just the perforated plastic trays needed.

3. Take a full box of any Eley ammo in their naff plastic boxes. Carefully prise up the loaded perforated plastic tray.

4. Put a smooth flat item on the top of the Eley ammo - the long plastic CCI lid is ideal. Carefully invert the ammo in the perforated tray. Lay it all on a flat surface.

5. Carefully lift the Eley perforated tray up and off the 50 rounds of Eley ammo. Carefully place the clear plastic CCI 50 round perforated tray on to the Eley ammo - CAREFUL!

6. Hold the 50 round "tray" on to the flat item and carefully invert it. Position it over one end of the empty 100 round CCI plastic box. Push down gently and the tray will click into place.

7. Repeat with another 50 rounds of Eley.

8. Et voila! 100 rounds of Eley securely stored in the (well made in USA!!!) CCI box.

It is possible to do the same trick with the 100 round CCI tray, but if you are a clumsy klutz like me you are very likely to dump all 100 rounds over like dominoes.

Eley Plastic Box Fix Cci_bo10

I feel that is my duty as a Brit to offer all of you this very economical and easy fix - FOC!

RoyDean

Jack H, ric1911a1, chopper, CarpeXRing, RodJ, shanneba and SaraiEsq like this post

Back to top Go down

Eley Plastic Box Fix Empty Re: Eley Plastic Box Fix

Post by JKR 8/28/2023, 6:04 pm

Genius idea Roy! I’ve done this myself but for a different reason. I was embarrassed to be turning in such shitty targets with such wonderful ammo. I figured if people saw that I was shooting shitty ammo, I’d be forgiven! 
JKR

JKR

SingleActionAndrew and RoyDean like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/29/2023, 5:06 am

I think TonyH has been doing the opposite with Blaser! Laughing
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 8/29/2023, 1:50 pm

Much easier with this tool made by Carson. Maybe he will chime in.
I use it every week.

Eley Plastic Box Fix Img_1311
Eley Plastic Box Fix Img_1313
Eley Plastic Box Fix Img_1312

Wes Lorenz

brdrgrd and valbern67 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 8/29/2023, 2:25 pm

That tool is neat. It is frustrating that eley’s packaging is so poor, especially as the ammo is rather good
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/30/2023, 12:08 am

The packing is poor because it’s disposable and single use.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 8/30/2023, 12:15 am

Thanks Scott.

I guess that tool is 3D printed by "Carson"?

Is it made commercially or available on thingiverse or some other location?

RoyDean

chiz1180 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 8/30/2023, 7:49 am

Wobbley wrote:The packing is poor because it’s disposable and single use.
SK/Lapua, CCI (paperbox), Federal, Aguila, RWS/norma/geco all have disposable "single use" packaging too.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by chopper 8/30/2023, 8:15 am

I like putting my 22s in the 100 rd plastic boxes because I can slide the lid to expose 10 rds and load 2 magazines and not fumble with the bulk Eley box. If I use other brands I don't put them in a 100 rd plastic.
Stan

chopper

Back to top Go down

Post by Centerline 8/30/2023, 8:31 am

This is Carson. Yes I 3d-print that handy tool for transferring ammo to cci boxes. PM if you want one. $20 covers shipping. Thanks Scott.

Centerline

Back to top Go down

Post by Mpm42 8/30/2023, 5:09 pm

If you're looking to transfer from other boxes into CCI boxes and have access to a 3d printer, you might be interested in Ammo box for 22LR CCI Standard.  The clear tray from CCI standard snaps into the bottom and it lifts every other row to make it easy to remove.  There's also a lid that snaps on to hold everything in place. 

Mpm42

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 9/2/2023, 8:38 pm

Wes Lorenz wrote:Much easier with this tool made by Carson. Maybe he will chime in.
I use it every week.

Eley Plastic Box Fix Img_1311
Eley Plastic Box Fix Img_1313
Eley Plastic Box Fix Img_1312
Rookie 😁
Eley Plastic Box Fix 20230911
Eley Plastic Box Fix 20230912
Eley Plastic Box Fix 20230910Eley Plastic Box Fix 20230913

10sandxs

Centerline, shanneba and samtoast like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 9/3/2023, 6:49 am

That’s imaginative engineering!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by samtoast 9/3/2023, 10:29 pm

10sandxs wrote:
Wes Lorenz wrote:Much easier with this tool made by Carson. Maybe he will chime in.
I use it every week.
Are these 3D printed boxes/tools available to purchase?
If not, are the STL files shareable?

samtoast

Back to top Go down

Post by TobagoMike 9/4/2023, 1:51 pm

Centerline wrote:This is Carson. Yes I 3d-print that handy tool for transferring ammo to cci boxes. PM if you want one. $20 covers shipping. Thanks Scott.
I like Carson’s transfer tool. Please PM me,as I don’t have enough post to PM you yet.

TobagoMike

Back to top Go down

Post by Centerline 9/4/2023, 2:31 pm

That's a nice one 10sandxs. Have you thought about having a removable end in the bulk tray and then just setting the tray over the cci tray and sliding them out the end (like how the transfer comb works)? The transfer comb becomes repetitive at that point.

Centerline

samtoast likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 9/5/2023, 9:41 am

Centerline wrote:That's a nice one 10sandxs. Have you thought about having a removable end in the bulk tray and then just setting the tray over the cci tray and sliding them out the end (like how the transfer comb works)? The transfer comb becomes repetitive at that point.
Tried that. the "separator arms" in plastic are too flimsy and if the bullets arent' in just the right places the arms flex just enough to open and let a whole row of cartridges fall out. they still do it in this configuration, but with the base (that is hard to see) it holds them together just enough... it's a work in progress, but I havent' improved it in a while due to my real job...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Eley Plastic Box Fix Empty Just cut the Eley label

Post by bdas 9/5/2023, 10:17 am

Hmmm... I just use a small knife (that I always have in my pocket) to cut the tape/label that holds the lid on the Eley box.  Cut at both ends, just under the lid.  Then the lid on the Eley box slides just like the lid on the CCI 100-round sleeve, so I can dispense them 5 at a time.  I keep a rubber band in my ammo box to keep the lid securely in place on an opened, partially-full Eley box while transporting.

No sticky residue from the tape/label, which you get by peeling it back.  No careful transferring or 3D printer needed.  No re-labelling boxes or wondering 3 months later exactly which ammo is in that box.  No need to remember to "prep" the ammo before heading to the range.  If you don't carry a small knife, and/or if you're worried about cutting your fingers, put a Slice (plastic thingy with a tiny ceramic safety blade made to open packages, $6 from Amazon) in your ammo box.  The rubber band size was chosen so that it can hold one box closed (around the ends, long-ways), or two boxes closed (boxes stacked, rubber band around the sides), in case I have two partial boxes.  Keep it simple.

Dave

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RoyDean 9/5/2023, 10:33 am

Amusing/annoying Eley plastic box story.

I am not as smart as "bdas", so forgot to put tape or a rubber band around a box that I must have opened at the end of a busy match day. Packed all of my stuff and made my way to the airport. Usual palaver with security - taken off to the special room to have my pelican range box containing guns, ammo, etc., inspected. Unusually this time the officer was rather gruff and would not permit me anywhere near my box. He insisted on taking everything out, snatched at a box of Eley BPX and deftly scattered the contains across the entire room - I guess 40 rounds of 22. We tried to gather them all up, but pretty sure that there are still a couple of rounds hiding under a cabinet in that room!

He then refused to allow me to help to re-pack my stuff. Jammed everything back into the Pelican. When I got home there was damage to both of the Rink grips on the guns in that box. Ho hum!

RoyDean

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz 9/5/2023, 1:19 pm

Roy, Learned a new word today - Palaver.

I really like Carson's tool because it's simple and easy to use (KISS method). The separator arms are not that flimsy; I just hold the separator arms near the open end.
Easy - Pick the cartridges out of one 50 round box holding the fingers tight at the open end, push off the 50 round plastic separator, and drop the cartridges into the 100 round CCI box.
Never had a CCI box fail and no one knows you are using big $$$ ammo and shooting like crap.   Cool

Wes Lorenz

RoyDean likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 84gn 9/8/2023, 9:13 am

I must be lazy, because I just deal with it. Flimsy boxing is the least of my problems. Smile

84gn

DA/SA and djperry2 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down