Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bad ELEY Club Ammo

+11
Eindecker
bruce martindale
RodJ
Wobbley
proneshooter
Multiracer
mbmshooter
CR10X
zanemoseley
jwax
ermakevin
15 posters

Go down

Bad ELEY Club Ammo Empty Bad ELEY Club Ammo

Post by ermakevin May 22nd 2022, 7:11 pm

Bad ELEY Club Ammo Eley_110
Bad ELEY Club Ammo LOT 3122-30028

just purchased 5 bricks of ELEY Club .22
i have shot 100 rounds with 10 fail to fire duds. That's 10% failure rate, 
there is a good dent on the primer. really unacceptable for ELEY ammo.
i sent ELEY an Email, maybe ill get a response, that really makes me upset.
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Bad ELEY Club Ammo Empty Re: Bad ELEY Club Ammo

Post by jwax May 22nd 2022, 9:58 pm

Do you have another gun to try it in?

I usually disassemble the questionable rounds by pulling the bullet.
Empty the contents on white paper. See if there's primer all around the inside
of the rim, or if flakes of primer are floating around it the powder.

Curious to see what Eley has to say.
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin May 23rd 2022, 7:12 am

jwax wrote:Do you have another gun to try it in?

I usually disassemble the questionable rounds by pulling the bullet.
Empty the contents on white paper. See if there's primer all around the inside
of the rim, or if flakes of primer are floating around it the powder.

Curious to see what Eley has to say.
good point ill pull one and see what the issue is.
thanks for the input
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley May 23rd 2022, 10:52 am

Just my opinion but those strikes don't look very strong. Is this by chance a 1911/22 conversion?

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X May 23rd 2022, 4:09 pm

Be sure to clean your chamber with a .243 brush bent into an "L" shape so it will not go in any deeper than the chamber.  

.22's sometimes build up a wax ring, resulting in rounds not quite fully chambering.  It can become especially prevalent and noticeable when changing from one type of .22 ammo to another.

CR

CR10X

ermakevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax May 23rd 2022, 7:00 pm

Good points guys- round may not be fully chambered.

ermakevin- What gun is this in?
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin May 23rd 2022, 8:16 pm

jwax wrote:Good points guys- round may not be fully chambered.

ermakevin- What gun is this in?
hello Folks the pistol I'm using the ammo in is a 208, 
really good points ill clean the chamber and try again, 
ill also have to try another pistol that's the next step. and no reply from ELEY yet.
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter May 24th 2022, 5:08 pm

I bought two bricks of Eley Target since that was the ammo Travis used for the test target on the new barrel for my Marvel.  The FIRST shot from this new batch was a fffft that hit the 5-ring at 25yds.  The remaining nine shots all went off without issue but were certainly NOT very accurate.  I have to wonder if Eley has been having some manufacturing issues.

So much for test ammo!  I'll go back to and stick with my SK Pistol Match Special.

Mike

mbmshooter

ermakevin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin June 10th 2022, 9:12 pm

to date i have not received a reply from my Eley inquiry, looks like they are losing a customer. and just like MBMshooter I'm going back to SK ammo.
ermakevin
ermakevin

handcycle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax June 12th 2022, 2:22 pm

Still getting duds after chamber cleaning?
Do you get the same failure rate in another gun?
What did you find when you opened up a dud?
Pity Eley isn't responding.
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by Multiracer June 12th 2022, 3:14 pm

Rush to make money vs good solid ammo, short staffed during the condemic etc, etc. This crap will be circulating for years. BTW... its not just Eley

Multiracer

Back to top Go down

Bad ELEY Club Ammo Empty ELEY complaints can be directed to ELEY VIP App

Post by proneshooter May 23rd 2023, 10:09 pm

Hi, being a rifle shooter, I don't often visit pistol forums.  But, I had heard about this particular post and went looking.

I am certainly sorry to hear that you’ve had problems with our ELEY ammunition and that your efforts to reach out went unanswered.

We do take such issues very seriously and have recently begun a process for assuring that any issues reported to us are collected together, researched and responded to.

If you can please send the following details through our ‘Customer Support’ tab on our ELEY VIP App, we can then send it on directly to the relevant department and team members to investigate.

Go to   www   dot   eley  dot  co   dot  uk  backslash  vip

There is a form asking for details such as:
-images of issue(s)
-lot numbers
-quantity of batch remaining and number of rounds fired
-firearm and service history
-number of issues experienced
-contact information
-any additional information

I will say that, most often, misfires are caused by insufficient strike depth.  ELEY requires a strike depth of 12-15 thousandths for consistent ignition.  Anything less than 10 thou can potentially cause misfiring.  Light strikes can be an issue of the spring strength or the wearing down of the firing pin. In measuring many fired pieces of brass at the 2022 National Championships, about 90% of the time, misfires came from brass exhibiting less than 7 thousandths.  

Another couple of points is that is important is to check that the strike is at 90 degrees from the edge of the cartridge. If it is not it may just be crushing the brass and not igniting the primer composition.

It is also important to make sure that the strike is not inset from the edge of the cartridge rim as, again, this may result in a failure to ignite the primer.

Finally, cleaning the gun can also make a difference, especially when using tenex, match and team, all of which use our beeswax lubrication.  This lubricant, while creating a more accurate round due to the minimization of the effects of chambering, also potentially picks up more lint and debris.  The residue will slowly build up and dirty the chamber.  It’s important to have a proper cleaning regime.

I'm including both my office number and cell number below and would be happy to speak with you or any other customer experiencing difficulty with our brand.  I'm based here in the US.  While returns/exchanges are handled through the UK, I can certainly respond to your queries and assist in facilitating an answer from our folks in quality control.

Thank you,

Michele Medige
ELEY Key Account Manager
401-714-3668 cell
325-268-5004 office

proneshooter

Al, RNS10X, fc60, Thin Man, Wlw145s, RoyDean and shanneba like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ermakevin May 23rd 2023, 10:48 pm

thanks for the reply i completely lost faith in Eley. I'm using a Hammerli 208 pistol. seems that every 7th or 8th round is a misfire.
i have not tried this ammo in my pistol since a year ago when i purchased it. i will add all the information you requested in a few days.
ermakevin
ermakevin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley May 23rd 2023, 11:57 pm

proneshooter wrote:Hi, being a rifle shooter, I don't often visit pistol forums.  But, I had heard about this particular post and went looking.

I am certainly sorry to hear that you’ve had problems with our ELEY ammunition and that your efforts to reach out went unanswered.

We do take such issues very seriously and have recently begun a process for assuring that any issues reported to us are collected together, researched and responded to.

If you can please send the following details through our ‘Customer Support’ tab on our ELEY VIP App, we can then send it on directly to the relevant department and team members to investigate.

Go to   www   dot   eley  dot  co   dot  uk  backslash  vip

There is a form asking for details such as:
-images of issue(s)
-lot numbers
-quantity of batch remaining and number of rounds fired
-firearm and service history
-number of issues experienced
-contact information
-any additional information

I will say that, most often, misfires are caused by insufficient strike depth.  ELEY requires a strike depth of 12-15 thousandths for consistent ignition.  Anything less than 10 thou can potentially cause misfiring.  Light strikes can be an issue of the spring strength or the wearing down of the firing pin. In measuring many fired pieces of brass at the 2022 National Championships, about 90% of the time, misfires came from brass exhibiting less than 7 thousandths.  

Another couple of points is that is important is to check that the strike is at 90 degrees from the edge of the cartridge. If it is not it may just be crushing the brass and not igniting the primer composition.

It is also important to make sure that the strike is not inset from the edge of the cartridge rim as, again, this may result in a failure to ignite the primer.

Finally, cleaning the gun can also make a difference, especially when using tenex, match and team, all of which use our beeswax lubrication.  This lubricant, while creating a more accurate round due to the minimization of the effects of chambering, also potentially picks up more lint and debris.  The residue will slowly build up and dirty the chamber.  It’s important to have a proper cleaning regime.

I'm including both my office number and cell number below and would be happy to speak with you or any other customer experiencing difficulty with our brand.  I'm based here in the US.  While returns/exchanges are handled through the UK, I can certainly respond to your queries and assist in facilitating an answer from our folks in quality control.

Thank you,

Michele Medige
ELEY Key Account Manager
401-714-3668 cell
325-268-5004 office

Michele: Thank you so much for your input. We shooters appreciate the attention of the manufacturers even though we aren’t a huge market share. There is another thread here that you would like to comment on. It deals with lower cost options of Eley that might shoot acceptably in a pistol. This is the thread https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t21571-anyone-ever-ransom-rest-eley-in-any-of-the-economical-varieties

I have used Eley in both pistol and rifle (3P and Prone) and it’s always shot very well. If you do have some insights, im sure they’d be appreciated.

Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

ric1911a1 and Pac918 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ May 24th 2023, 3:58 pm

This past weekend I had four (5?) rounds of Target out of 100 that failed to fire. I brushed the chamber multiple times. Marvel Unit 1 on an RO lower. Other ammo has been fine in this gun combo, and historically Target has been reliable for me. Weird.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale May 24th 2023, 5:39 pm

Ammo should easily drop into the chamber with a plunk, not a push fwiw

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

jglenn21 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RodJ May 24th 2023, 7:08 pm

Follow up. Shot half a box of SK. No failure. Opened a fresh box of Eley Target. First round failed to fire. Next four did. Went back and finished SK, flawless. Shot another 30 rounds of Eley. No problems. Nothing wrong with my pistol.

RodJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker May 30th 2023, 11:58 am

last i ever heard, CLUB was simply relabeled lots of "better eley ammunition labels" that failed to meet

manufacturing standards, specifications, and failed to meet testing results to be labelled as the "better eley box label"

10 percent is NOT a bad failure rate. Especially after 1 single firing pin hit. 

I have had CCI lab folk tell me that a 30% failure rate is acceptable to THEM. 
  That was when i sent them a box of their ammunition that had fialed to fire after 2-5 go throughs a bolt action rifle. turning the cartridge for each firing attmpet.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax May 30th 2023, 5:08 pm

"10 percent is NOT a bad failure rate."

You're kidding, right?
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter May 30th 2023, 5:22 pm

jwax wrote:"10 percent is NOT a bad failure rate."

You're kidding, right?

Any SERIOUS competitor expects 100% reliability.  Unfortunately, we do encounter occasional FsTF.  1% (50 FsTF per case of 5000 rnd) would be 50 Alibis (refires) per case.  In my opinion, THAT would be unacceptable!

mbmshooter

jwax likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DA/SA May 30th 2023, 5:32 pm

I bought some of the Armscor .22 from the CMP. It's so bad, seldom can I get ten shots off without a failure to ignite. It's the last thing I would ever use in a Match, but I shoot it now and then for training, as I want to see the dot stay still on a sustained fire string when I have one of those failures.

It keeps my hold and my trigger finger tuned up.

I wouldn't buy more for that purpose, but it won't go wasted.

YMMV
DA/SA
DA/SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H May 31st 2023, 2:44 am

Back in the old days when Remington Green Box ruled, I don't remember having many alibis.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech May 31st 2023, 11:22 am

I started that thread that Wobbley mentioned and I will be RR testing Elegy Club, Target, and Match in the near future, in a Clark barreled M41. All three Eley bullets pass the drop test and not one CCI SV round will drop in; probably the root cause of my feeding and extraction issues with CCI. The CCI is accurate but will be relegated to my squirrel rifle.
inthebeech
inthebeech

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz June 1st 2023, 12:25 am

FWIW:
Measuring old CCI vs. new CCI the case diameter is .001" larger in diameter. I have feeding problems in my tight cambered barrels.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by Eindecker June 1st 2023, 1:15 am

jwax wrote:"10 percent is NOT a bad failure rate."

You're kidding, right?
I wish, in the conversations i had, If i take any random round of CCI 22 rimfire amunition, short, long, long rifle, if it fires on the first attempt, its all good. 

If if fails to fire, and by manually turning it in the chamber for a new spot to hit firing pin, if it fires within 4 attempts, its GOOD. 

I lost alot of really good shots, on hard to get targets. Nothing like wasting the one chance on a nice varmint in a whole week, just to hear a CLICK. 

To make it more insulting, they gave me a coupon for a free box of cci rimfire of my choosing.. after i had had 8 crappy boxes of it to deal with.

Eindecker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down