Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eley Club ammo

+7
proneshooter
xman
Kp321
ric1911a1
zanemoseley
Wobbley
L Valdez
11 posters

Go down

Eley Club ammo Empty Eley Club ammo

Post by L Valdez Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:17 pm

A retired and now deceased shooter had a lot of Eley Club ammo in the orange boxes. The lead is not oxidized. The range is selling the ammo at $65.00 for 500 rounds.
Is Club really better than Target? The real questions I have, is it worth $65.00 per 500 rounds?

L Valdez

Back to top Go down

Eley Club ammo Empty Re: Eley Club ammo

Post by Wobbley Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:15 pm

As I understand it, the difference between Eley TENEX, MATCH, TEAM, CLUB, and TARGET is selection of that batch after shooting it in multiple test rifles.  They’re all loaded to the same specifications on the same set of machines.  The selection criteria is in the order stated.  Also just because the batch of ammo meets the “TENEX” criteria it may still be sold as “MATCH” if they need more of that to fill the orders.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Richard Ashmore likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:04 pm

I know for a fact you can look at lot numbers of Match ammo and see which are rejected lots or Tenex. Killough's has the lot numbers listed for all match ammo so you can test by lot, a quick Google search will show you what the lot number means.

I've never shot club but have target. I thought club was lower than target. Either way for the times $65/500 for any Eley that has been stored properly is a decent price but not a steal.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:03 am

I've shot a lot of Eley Club over the last several years. Very happy with it out of numerous guns.

The price is pretty good by today's standards............

Ric
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Aprilian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:35 pm

Point of interest, Club is the same ammo that CMP bulk is.  Both have lot numbers starting with 31 followed by two digit year code then the true lot number. 
The last Club that Killough had was $8.00 so $65 a brick is in line since CMP doesn’t seem to be getting any more.

Kp321

Back to top Go down

Post by xman Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:03 pm

L Valdez wrote:A retired and now deceased shooter had a lot of Eley Club ammo in the orange boxes. The lead is not oxidized. The range is selling the ammo at $65.00 for 500 rounds.
Is Club really better than Target? The real questions I have, is it worth $65.00 per 500 rounds?
Club is rated above Target on price wise. ISS in Ft Worth has new pricing for Eley and RWS for 2021. Club at 648 and Target at 558 a case.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by proneshooter Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:09 pm

Wobbley wrote:As I understand it, the difference between Eley TENEX, MATCH, TEAM, CLUB, and TARGET is selection of that batch after shooting it in multiple test rifles.  They’re all loaded to the same specifications on the same set of machines.  The selection criteria is in the order stated.  Also just because the batch of ammo meets the “TENEX” criteria it may still be sold as “MATCH” if they need more of that to fill the orders.
ELEY has two distinct lines; white bullet and black bullet.  White bullet is tenex, match and team and made on the same machines and to the same specs.  They're tested and then wear the tenex, match or team label based on performance.  Thus, match is a downgrade of tenex based on the performance of the particular lot in four test barrels, each shooting 50 rounds.  Team is a byproduct of match.  That is why one doesn't always find team available.  ELEY doesn't set out to make it.  It is downgraded match.  That isn't to say that it's poor ammunition, only that it may have had groups a couple mm too large in the test barrels to meet standard.  Also, the testing is not performed in YOUR rifle, so, you may find that the results are better.  

The black bullet line, so called because the lead is darker than the tenex line, is everything else.  Club rates higher than target for performance.  There are additional choices of ammunition based on discipline one intends to partake in.  The best way to see an overview of the line is to view the brochure at https://www.eleyammunition.com/brochure/      This will give you the basics for group size, speeds, etc.

proneshooter

DanDDan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by proneshooter Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:10 pm

Kp321 wrote:Point of interest, Club is the same ammo that CMP bulk is.  Both have lot numbers starting with 31 followed by two digit year code then the true lot number. 
The last Club that Killough had was $8.00 so $65 a brick is in line since CMP doesn’t seem to be getting any more.
The CMP bulk was not club, but ELEY standard (remember the brown boxes?).  Standard is not currently produced.

proneshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by proneshooter Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:14 pm

L Valdez wrote:A retired and now deceased shooter had a lot of Eley Club ammo in the orange boxes. The lead is not oxidized. The range is selling the ammo at $65.00 for 500 rounds.
Club's maximum RSD is 5.5mm as compared to target's 7.00mm.  Yes, $65. is a good price.  ELEY doesn't set MAP pricing, so various vendors will have different pricing.  But, on average, you'll find club in the $8.00 a box range.

proneshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by shanneba Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:54 am

proneshooter wrote:
The CMP bulk was not club, but ELEY standard (remember the brown boxes?).  Standard is not currently produced.

Standard is still sold in the UK  
ELEY sport | 22lr ammunition

The link above says:
"Please note that sport is branded as target in the USA."

shanneba

Back to top Go down

Post by set462 Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:21 am

Club turned out to be a poor performer in most all the rifles we have... shot it up and won't replace it... Target shot way better imho...

set462

Back to top Go down

Post by inthebeech Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:50 am

When my M41 came back from Clark with one of their barrels and a test target, the group was under an inch and they used Black Box.  I'm not good enough to benefit from it so I bought some Club and Target and a set of inserts for the Ransom Rest.  Three groups each is not conclusive but the results were consistent enough to satisfy me.  Target groups averaged 1.5 inches and Club averaged 1.25 inches (50 yds).  Take it for what its worth.  Since they are frequently priced the same, it was a no brainer.
inthebeech
inthebeech

DanDDan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by only_8_ring Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:26 pm

I did statistical ammo analysis through my Pardini SP, and found that Eley Club actually performed the best of al the brands I tried (CCI SV, Aguila Super Extra SV, Eley Club, Norma Tac-22, Eley Pistol X). I did not try Eley Tenex. They were all "acceptable" to me, which meant they could hold between the 10 and X ring at 50 yards.

In general, my findings were that CCI SV was the best accuracy for the money, but my gun wouldn't run CCI SV consistently. The rounds were too long to feed consistently out of my magazines. So if your gun will run CCI SV, that's probably your best bet. That said, Eley makes some good ammo. If you can afford it, it could buy you a couple of points in your 900 match.

only_8_ring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down