Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rem 38 148gr LDWC - For you testers out there

5 posters

Go down

Rem 38 148gr LDWC - For you testers out there Empty Rem 38 148gr LDWC - For you testers out there

Post by sharkdoctor Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:37 am

I have a case of Rem 38Spl 148gr LDWC Lot #23562.  Normally I just load them and shoot, but with excess time on my hands, I washed and inspected a few.  They were visibly different (sorry, no pix). Here are the results, averages presented (n=3).

With smooth hemispherical bump on the end.

147.5gr., 0.627" OAL, 0.364" Dia. (measured middle two bands)

With hemispherical bump and annular ring on the end.

148.3gr., 0.619" OAL, 0.360" Dia.

It looks like these came off of different machines,  even though they are in the same lot.  I am sure the weight and diameters would be significantly different.  The diameters are large (we knew that already) and as has been discussed extensively for HBWC's could have a significant effect on loading and group size.

Have any of you noted this and done any careful testing?  I did say I had time on my hands, but not that much, and besides I can't get out to shoot anyway.  Thx!

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Rem 38 148gr LDWC - For you testers out there Empty Re: Rem 38 148gr LDWC - For you testers out there

Post by fc60 Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:41 pm

Greetings,

The Remington bullets shoot very well.

Too bad you washed the lube off of them.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t14564-speer-hbwc-question#127107

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Rem 38 148gr LDWC - For you testers out there Empty Re: Rem 38 148gr LDWC - For you testers out there

Post by troystaten Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Would be interested to see pictures, are these new old stock or current production?

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:32 am

fc60 wrote:Greetings,

The Remington bullets shoot very well.

Too bad you washed the lube off of them.

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t14564-speer-hbwc-question#127107

Cheers,

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response, and I do consider you to be a careful tester.  I am familiar with the writings of Ed Harris, and Jerry Keefer on this topic, as well as the thread you note and the one in 2016 where you show and more fully describe the test referenced above. The larger group also used bullets presized to 0.358" (2016 thread) which may contribute.  For bullets loaded into unsized cases, post sizing in a Lee die will reduce their diameter as well.  I tried:

Fired R-P HBWC case,  mouth OD = 0.380.

REM HBWC as lubed (0.366")was loaded into the case, and crimped (not later sized).  Case mouth OD was 0.380".  Friction fit in revolver chambers, that is, mostly fail the "plunk" test.  Bullet pulled measured 0.361", and so was sized by seating.  Forcing such a bullet through the tight barrel of a SW52 would not seem optimal, of course, bottom line is "how do they shoot?".  I guess I will just have to sort and try, due to the mixed diameters I found in this lot.

PS- Cleaning the bullets allowed me to see and measure the differences and Keefer did so, relubed, and found even better accuracy, so there is that.

and sorry Troy, no pictures- were purchased about 18 mo. ago.

Good shooting to you all.

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wes Lorenz Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:41 pm

sharkdoctor wrote:
With smooth hemispherical bump on the end.

147.5gr., 0.627" OAL, 0.364" Dia. (measured middle two bands)

With hemispherical bump and annular ring on the end.

148.3gr., 0.619" OAL, 0.360" Dia.

Makes me think cracked or worn swage die body and a machine operator that had their eyes burried in a cell phone instead of performing in-process quality control.

Wes Lorenz

Back to top Go down

Post by lalka686 Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Here is my observation on NEW style Remington HBWCs. Maybe this is why thy are so famously accurate.
If you can find the starting point with magnification glass, you can unroll the lead. It looks like thin sheet of lead rolled up, then swagged to form the bullet shape.
I only load the Remington new style, ones I run out & can't find them, I will use up the old style, then I will move on to Zero brand, after those Precision Delta, Speer, Hornady and the last would be box of old Speer measuring .356" in diameter. DEWC will be next, if I'm still shooting 38's.
Attachments
Rem 38 148gr LDWC - For you testers out there Attachment
Rem 2 bull.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(20 Kb) Downloaded 15 times
lalka686
lalka686

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:37 pm

lalka686 wrote:Here is my observation on NEW style Remington HBWCs. Maybe this is why thy are so famously accurate.
If you can find the starting point with magnification glass, you can unroll the lead. It looks like thin sheet of lead rolled up, then swagged to form the bullet shape.
I only load the Remington new style, ones I run out & can't find them, I will use up the old style, then I will move on to Zero brand, after those Precision Delta, Speer, Hornady and the last would be box of old Speer measuring .356" in diameter. DEWC will be next, if I'm still shooting 38's.
Now THAT is interesting!  I have never seen that technology in a bullet before.  It would seem far more complicated than simply swaging a slug.

Thanks!

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down