Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ranger XLW Shooting Glasses

+5
Stork
dronning
Outthere
Dcforman
Jwhelan939
9 posters

Go down

Ranger XLW Shooting Glasses  Empty Ranger XLW Shooting Glasses

Post by Jwhelan939 Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Evening all. I'm thinking of using my "stimulus check" to finally get some new shooting glasses. I loved my old Oakley, but they are long dead. I replaced them with some Rudy's and have been unhappy with them since purchase. Have been contemplating the Ranger XLW frames. Anyone have any experience? Thoughts? I run hot, so I need glasses that vent decent to help prevent fog up. Any help would be. Thank you!

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Ranger XLW Shooting Glasses  Empty Re: Ranger XLW Shooting Glasses

Post by Dcforman Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:51 pm

Maybe a little old school, but I love my Decot HyWyd's. "Bridge" keeps plenty of airflow, never had a fogging issue. Wrap around ear pieces are thin, still allow muffs to seal. No experience with the Ranger's, just something else to look at.

Dave

Dcforman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:22 pm

Always open to other suggestions. Ty!

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:56 pm

I had the Rangers and switched over to Pilla with the Rx insert. Best thing I ever did. No regrets.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Outthere wrote:I had the Rangers and switched over to Pilla with the Rx insert. Best thing I ever did. No regrets.

Thanks for the response. What did you not like about the rangers? Were they the XLW? Or Classic? I do not have rx glasses. So that's not a factor for me at this time.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:38 pm

Just curious what model Rudy's did you have?
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:56 pm

dronning wrote:Just curious what model Rudy's did you have?
- Dave

I have the Rydons. The frames are great. Light and comfortable. It's the clear lenses I was unhappy with. Have had a fog about them since I got them. I reached out to customer service when I first recieved them, but they were very helpful.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Stork Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:34 am

So... How are fancy shooting glasses better than a $2 pair of safety glasses from harbor freight?

I'm young and on a budget, so $15-??? pays for a lot of other stuff.

Stork

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:11 am

If you are on a budget and need prescription shooting glasses, I can recommend Zenni.  I got a pair of wire rim aviator style glasses with single vision polycarbonate lenses, and clip on sunglasses, I think I paid around $38 including shipping.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:19 am

Re Stork question.
I have found that Dollar Store or HF safety glasses generally have less than perfect clarity and also tend to scratch easily.
But some brands/styles are better than others. So if you find one that allows you to see really clearly, then use a container to protect them and be happy.
I found a brand called Gargoyles that fit me well and are really clear, but cost over $50, not cheap. So by all means shop around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:20 am

Jwhelan939 wrote:
Outthere wrote:I had the Rangers and switched over to Pilla with the Rx insert. Best thing I ever did. No regrets.

Thanks for the response. What did you not like about the rangers? Were they the XLW? Or Classic? I do not have rx glasses. So that's not a factor for me at this time.
The Rangers were much heavier. I don't remember the model.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by John Dervis Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:52 am

Stork wrote:So... How are fancy shooting glasses better than a $2 pair of safety glasses from harbor freight?

I'm young and on a budget, so $15-??? pays for a lot of other stuff.

I've found the really inexpensive glasses to have some distortion in the lenses so it can be like viewing a mirage in the desert. Some of them do not fit very well either but everyone will be different for that so maybe it wouldn't be an issue for you. If you can find a pair with decent lenses, then give them a try but hopefully you can examine them and try them on before hand.

John

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:23 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:
dronning wrote:Just curious what model Rudy's did you have?
- Dave

I have the Rydons. The frames are great. Light and comfortable. It's the clear lenses I was unhappy with. Have had a fog about them since I got them. I reached out to customer service when I first received them, but they were very helpful.
That's what I have and I've been very happy with mine (I've never tried the clear lens).  I actually changed from Ranger XLW's to Rudy's. The reason I switched was I needed an RX lens and with the Rudy's I only needed to get 1 set of RX lenses because they are in a clip-on that fits behind the colored lens.  My right lens is ground for distance and the left for reading.  The outer colored lenses are very easy to switch between colors when needed.

I still use the Ranger XLW's, which I like very much, when shooting clays.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm

Dave, did you get the kit that has the clear lenses? If you have then, would you mind taking a look through them and letting me know how they look whenever you had a sec?

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Jwhelan939 wrote:Dave, did you get the kit that has the clear lenses? If you have then, would you mind taking a look through them and letting me know how they look whenever you had a sec?
I took out a clear lens and looked through it and didn't notice any difference.  Then I took my colored & RX lenses out of the frames and put in the clears, tried again same thing - no change, they seemed very clear.  Put the RX clip in back in the frame and everything looks normal.  FYI it is overcast here today, I don't know if that would make a difference.  I tried it indoors too and if there is any difference I don't notice it.
- Dave

I started using an EyePal on my RX lens to help keep my dot round with my distance lens.  I'm going to try the EyePal on my Rangers to see how it works because on really humid days I do get some fogging on the Rudys.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:05 am

My Ranger lenses are very clear and seem very resistant to scratching. I only use them while shooting, however. I had the frames break once. I contacted the company and they sent a new upgraded frame free of charge. The lenses come in two thicknesses. They aren't cheap, but considering how long they've lasted, they were worth it to me. I have lenses for iron sights and lenses for a dot. For someone who shoots regularly, I recommend high quality lenses and not the cheap safety glasses. I'm not an optometrist, but I would think that a lens that one clips onto another set of glasses wouldn't be optimum for seeing something so precise as a front sight.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:43 am

BE Mike wrote: I'm not an optometrist, but I would think that a lens that one clips onto another set of glasses wouldn't be optimum for seeing something so precise as a front sight.
Funny you should say that, my optometrist is the one who recommended the Rudy's from his experience shooting IPSC and bench rest.  I see the sight just fine when shooting irons.  I'm certain less quality lenses might be a problem.
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:16 am

Thank you for checking Dave. Maybe I'll have to purchase another set of clear and give them a second try.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:44 pm

I wouldn't trust my eye safety to a pair of $2 safety glasses from Harbor Freight. Reminds me of people who ride motorcycles with $30 helmets. Practically the definition of penny wise and pound foolish.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down