Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dillon RF 100 Primer Filler Users-Rate of Flipped Primers?

5 posters

Go down

Dillon RF 100 Primer Filler Users-Rate of Flipped Primers? Empty Dillon RF 100 Primer Filler Users-Rate of Flipped Primers?

Post by CraigB5940 4/14/2020, 9:13 am

Have any of you used this unit for a long time? I just took delivery and set it up and adjusted it for an hour yesterday with Federal small pistol primers. It seems that I may get 2 per 300  primers that get flipped in the tube if I don't stand watch and just use the tube after letting it run. I ran a practice cycle of about 600 or 700 to get the machine adjusted then got 2 filps in my first 300 fills for an actual reloading cycle.

I got this unit because my experience with the Frankford Vibra prime was as follows:
CCI SP-100% success no flipped primers
CCI LP- marginal- still too many flipped primers per cycle of 100.

Federal SP-somewhat cranky with flips and Jams.
Federal LP-impossible-too many flipped.

I'm going to be running LP Federals later on in the Dillon unit but if any of you have experience to share I would appreciate it.
It's a nice unit, I'm thinking that CCI's hopefully will run smoother. My overall impression is that it does take a knack to get the  tension of the tube adapter and also the critical position of the feed gate on the top and not too much screw tension there and running the rheostat on low to just past low.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Dillon RF 100 Primer Filler Users-Rate of Flipped Primers? Empty Re: Dillon RF 100 Primer Filler Users-Rate of Flipped Primers?

Post by BE Mike 4/15/2020, 8:10 am

I've been using the Frankford Arsenal Vibraprime for many years, mostly with Winchester Large and Small primers. I have never had any problem with flipped primers.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Dillon RF 100 Primer Filler Users-Rate of Flipped Primers? Empty Re: Dillon RF 100 Primer Filler Users-Rate of Flipped Primers?

Post by Jwhelan939 4/15/2020, 9:13 am

I have 2 rf100 that I have been using for a few years. I also have 2 vibraprime that sit in a drawer. Wasn't a fan on the vibraprime. Jammed every time I tried to use it.

The rf100 is very particular with the screw on the bottom of the platform. Its the one that holds the plastic pice into the platform. That screw should be backed out about a dimes width. That tends to be the adjustment that means the most for flipped primers.

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by Jwhelan939 4/15/2020, 9:14 am

I should add I have only used Winchester primers in either of them. Cannot attest to any others

Jwhelan939

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 4/15/2020, 9:25 am

Gotta put in the I use the Vibra-Prime exclusively.  When I first used I was surprised by practically 0 issues with small primers out of the box for me. Just the bunching up at the taper feed area once in a while.

The large primers would try to flip occasional at the drop area.  Now, practically 0 issues with Large primers after some cleaning up of the feed and drop area and making sure the top cover fit very closely at that point as well. 

I'd suggest getting another one and swapping covers and parts and checking for molding flash, ridges at the edge of the drop area and warped top covers.  

Two vibra primers and some spare covers was a lot less cash outlay for me.  Just my experience. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 4/15/2020, 9:35 am

I have been using the RF 100 for a couple of years.  Pay close attention to the stabilizer plate adjustment.  It is a real B**ch to set up but once you have the setting and speed dialed in flipped primers are rare, I don't remember the last time I had one.  Also I don't run at full speed, it takes about 90-120sec to fill a tube.  

The only primers I use it for are WLP.  I don't shoot enough WSP to justify using it.  If I do start using more small primers I will get a second one, as well as a 2nd press, just for small primers. 
- Dave

I forgot about the screw at the bottom of the platform once I got mine set to work 100% I used a feeler gauge to measure it and that's what I set it to.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down