Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going to the dark side

+8
-TT-
bentrod
STEVE SAMELAK
kjanracing
Jack H
David R
JKR
xman
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Going to the dark side Empty Going to the dark side

Post by xman 4/26/2020, 12:40 pm

It looks like I may break down and have to do some benchrest shooting to satisfy my trigger finger . There is a scheduled match still in Angelina county as the Angelina rifle and pistol club in Pollock Texas . Time to break out the Anschutz.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Going to the dark side Empty Re: Going to the dark side

Post by JKR 4/26/2020, 2:46 pm

So rimfire bench rest? Sounds like great fun. Is it 50 yards? Can you be competitive with an Anschutz match rifle? My old Anschutz just sets in the safe with nothing to do. Every now and then I take it out along with a box of TenX and shoot a few little bug holes. Can’t shoot prone anymore. Some BR would be fun!
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 4/26/2020, 4:06 pm

Yes it is shot at 50 yards and of course and anschutz is very very competitive with anything else on the range. You just do need a higher powered the scope probably 16 and above.
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 4/26/2020, 5:00 pm

Are your matches shot or score or group size? If for score, do you know what target is used?

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 4/26/2020, 5:29 pm

I have an MPR.  It shots pretty good.   I never tired the 10X or midas or any of the top line stuff.  It wills shoot just under 3/8" for 5 shots at 50 yards with almost any European ammo.  

I had my 22-250 out yesterday.  It was fun to shoot little groups with hand loads.  Then I shot some factory and it did not group as well.  Smile

Have fun.
David
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 4/26/2020, 5:32 pm

Actually I am not sure I have not shot in one yet I primarily shoot pistol but I have an anshutz left over from my prone and college days. But I think it is by score and then ties are broken by group size I think
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by David R 4/26/2020, 6:25 pm

Some shoot at 50 separate bulls.  Its about the size of your bullet.  If its touching, its in.    It has been a while, but I have some targets.   One shot per bull.   Scoring is done with a magnifying glass.

Enjoy
David R
David R

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 4/26/2020, 8:51 pm

IR50/50  target
http://www.ir5050.com/target-image/

Going to the dark side Br_22_10
Going to the dark side Rf_br_10
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/26/2020, 10:49 pm

Jack. I know where that is!

Seen another shooter there last year with all the flags and stuff.

And I thought I was anal🤣😂🤣😂

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 5/2/2020, 10:38 am

I thought you meant IDPA.
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 5/2/2020, 12:26 pm

Don't
Practice
Any more?
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Going to the dark side Empty Rimfire BR is big here in SW Mich.

Post by bentrod 5/9/2020, 4:59 pm

Rimfire BR is big here in SW Mich., but it is not your normal BR at 50 yds. we are shooting eggs at 100 yds. We shoot off a  bench and use a front rest, most use a bipod, but the rear of the stock must be supported, and not touching the bench, by  the non trigger hand. The match is 15 eggs (and we buy the smallest eggs our wholesaler has) shot 5 per round, you can take up to 5 sighters  before each of the 3 rounds. That gives the wind and other conditions time to change for added difficulty. When we first started this years back there  was a conglomeration of rifles, Ruger 10-22s, savage autos, a few high end bolt  squirrel guns,  and some wise guy with an Anschutz. It didn't take it too long to get expensive from there. One guy even showed up with a wind flag.

All 15 eggs that was the winner, but breaking into the teens was good. Then ammo was being being carefully selected by brand and lot number, more wind flags showed up along with more Anschutz  rifles, the higher end BR guns, squirrel gun scopes morphed into higher powered and more expensive long range BR scopes. Then all 15 eggs wasn't diddly, too many guys in the shoot off, and that went on forever shooting just eggs. So now the shoot off is done with jawbreakers or paintballs. The targets, eggs, jawbreakers or paint balls are on wire holders held above the target frame, so if you miss you have no clue where the bullet hit, except where it  hit the berm behind the targets. 

We have 3 clubs competing  with a championship at the end of the summer. And to make it even more fun, now there are super matches. The first one was 30 eggs, and of course lots of food and beer after. That went over so well a 50 and then a 100 egg match was added. The 100 takes 2 days. Money can be won at each match, even the weekday fun matches, which are a morning match each Wednesday (called the retirement shoot, mostly geezers) and a Friday afternoon match, the wind is usually cooking by then here close to Lake Michigan. And I am telling you guys, 100 yards gives the wind a lot of time to move 40 grs. of lead at subsonic speed around. And that is the secret, to keep it subsonic from muzzle to egg .

This little old "lets see what we can do with our squirrel gun" thing took on a life of its own, we have regular shooters coming hundreds of miles, weekly. We usually start the summer season in April, looks like we may see June as a start.

Jim

Last edited by bentrod on 5/11/2020, 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : s)

bentrod

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 5/9/2020, 6:58 pm

Egg snipers! Sounds like fun.
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 5/9/2020, 8:46 pm

I just bought a used custom Anschutz 1913 rifle, it's got a custom sleeve job on the action with built in scope rails, laminate stock, Shilen barrel and tuner. Just got it out for the first time today but all I had was some Federal GM match 22 ammo, I ordered some Tenex a couple weeks ago but the warehouses are so far behind it still hasn't shipped. Had fun today and had some nice shots, sure is cool when you just pound that dot center with a center shot. I definitely had some flyers which I mostly consider to be due to the ammo and crappy carpet covered wood bench, I really gotta find some place with concrete benches to practice. I also need to make some DIY wind flags until I can justify dropping $300 on wind flags, truthfully having to store and setup the commercial flags seems like a pain. I'm ordering some shepherd hook hangers and some surveying tape to make the DIY flags.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 5/10/2020, 7:14 am

Makes me smile!  I have a 1957 Winchester 52C with a 1955 Bauch and Lomb BALVAR 6-24... Almost as old as me!  Old school goodness...
Going to the dark side QAlKJ6A

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 5/10/2020, 1:45 pm

It’s anschutz not anchutz. There is even an equipment race in the egg shoot in fraternity. Lol
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 5/10/2020, 1:48 pm

One group of guys I shoot with took the equipment race the other way....you did it with that? Let's see if you can do it with this.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 5/10/2020, 2:05 pm

Axehandle wrote:Makes me smile!  I have a 1957 Winchester 52C with a 1955 Bauch and Lomb BALVAR 6-24... Almost as old as me!  Old school goodness...

I already had a dark side experience.  In my 20s I shot SB Outdoor Prone with a 52b.  I have now a 40X, a Martini, and two Anschutz 1413.  Getting down prone, and back up, might be a problem today
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 5/10/2020, 2:45 pm

I think RF f class is growing pretty nicely too. Kind of a combo of BR and prone shooting. I've shot some 600 & 1000 yard F class with my Savage 12br in 6br. It's amazing to lay down a 1/2 moa group from a mostly stock rifle in a caliber not even designed for 1000 yards.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by xman 5/10/2020, 5:47 pm

It’s anschutz not anchutz. There is even an equipment race in the egg shoot in fraternity. Lol
xman
xman

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 5/10/2020, 6:07 pm

The boys down home shoot a 200 yard golf ball match...  Pretty much Benchrest 22LR rifles.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 5/10/2020, 6:12 pm

200 yard shots at a golf ball with a 22lr has to be challanging. An egg at 100 seems much easier.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by bpettet 5/11/2020, 5:22 pm

Rimfire benchrest is a real hoot.  There you will find some of the finest trigger pulls ever created. I love shooting my vintage Win 52's and Anschutz 54.  I have a Turbo Calfee that humbles me every time I shoot it...so nice.

bpettet

http://www.stratos2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 5/12/2020, 8:35 am

Dark, is a black rifle....smile

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 5/12/2020, 7:10 pm

Like this? Smile   FWIW the 200 yard golf ball boys have a Ruger 10-22 shooter giving them a run for their money on a regular basis.  Brings to mind the old, "It isn't the song. it is the singer"
Going to the dark side UX0xhXF

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next