Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Straining Shooting Side Ankle?

5 posters

Go down

Straining Shooting Side Ankle? Empty Straining Shooting Side Ankle?

Post by Joe Morgan 5/15/2019, 2:02 am

I'm not sure how to begin- but I'm somehow twisting my ankle over the course of a 2700 on my strong shooting side. 

I follow the AMU guide on location of feet being about shoulder width apart, and I think I'm raising the gun "into" the target without disturbing my feet or hip- but by the end of the 2700, my front foot/ankle is sore.

Any guidance here, other than the usual, "well, don't do that," sort?

Joe Morgan

Back to top Go down

Straining Shooting Side Ankle? Empty Re: Straining Shooting Side Ankle?

Post by john bickar 5/15/2019, 3:50 am

Without knowing anything about your age or physical fitness, it may just be a position that your body needs time to get used to.

If you're 22 and in good shape and your ankle hurts after a 2700, there's probably something wrong with your stance.

If you're 40+, it's probably more a matter of conditioning.

As a corollary: I didn't start shooting rifle until I was well past the age when one should lie down on the ground prone, put lots of weight on a bony elbow, and bend one's neck upward, and let me tell you - prone HURTS.

A 2700 is an endurance event, and it's important to have the appropriate level of physical fitness.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 5/15/2019, 4:16 am

What John said. And good shoes/boots. I wear anything that fits my feet on a daily basis. I wear good low quarters or half boots for match day.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 5/15/2019, 12:14 pm

LenV wrote:What John said. And good shoes/boots. I wear anything that fits my feet on a daily basis. I wear good low quarters or half boots for match day.

Len

Boots also keep your feet dry in the morning when the range is covered in dew.
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 5/15/2019, 12:37 pm

Generally, my feet are about 90 degrees apart, oriented about shoulder width or a little more apart.  If you are having ankle issues, be sure your weight is pretty evenly distributed on the forward and rear feet.  Too much weight on one or the other can show up as some ankle pain. Also make sure the weight is evenly distributed over the entire sole of the foot, too much on either side or the ball or heel can cause issues and sometimes a little discomfort over the match.  Plus it makes  it harder to keep a consistent position. 

One thing I see is people that seem to be using the leg muscles to support the body instead of making sure their position is built "bone on bone" from the ankles all the way up the back.  The more you use the muscles to support your position against gravity, the less muscle energy you have to stay in position (help stabilize).  Feel like you are resting on the all the joints from the ankles all the way up and not using "muscle power" to support the joints.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down