Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What due you guys use in your pistol case to prevent rust and dampness.

+8
PacFltShooter
r.tornello
mspingeld
Vociferous
javaduke
CrankyThunder
zanemoseley
smsnyder
12 posters

Go down

What due you guys use in your pistol case to prevent rust and dampness. Empty What due you guys use in your pistol case to prevent rust and dampness.

Post by smsnyder Mon May 18, 2020 9:36 pm

What due you guys use in your pistol case to prevent dampness from getting to the firearm? Thanks

smsnyder

Back to top Go down

What due you guys use in your pistol case to prevent rust and dampness. Empty Re: What due you guys use in your pistol case to prevent rust and dampness.

Post by zanemoseley Mon May 18, 2020 10:23 pm

I wipe down with Barricade frequently but I've heard it's bad to keep your firearms stored in foam cases long term.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

What due you guys use in your pistol case to prevent rust and dampness. Empty Re: What due you guys use in your pistol case to prevent rust and dampness.

Post by CrankyThunder Tue May 19, 2020 8:08 am

I cannot say that I have had any problems with rust, I use and CLP my bullseye pistols frequently.  I do throw a cloths dryer sheet in there to keep it fresh though and that really helps with the mustiness.  Every time I use it when it is wet out I store it open and empty so it can dry out.
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke Tue May 19, 2020 8:15 am

Humidity in AZ is not much of a problem, but anyway I keep all my guns in Gunsocks. 5-pack on Amazon is about $30, no big deal.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

Back to top Go down

Post by Vociferous Tue May 19, 2020 8:17 am

Never had this problem. Like Cranky says, if it gets wet, dry it out. If you're storing it in a humid place, well, it will be hard to keep dry. And I don't store my firearms in the box; I don't even transport them in the box, but that's just me.
Vociferous
Vociferous

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Tue May 19, 2020 10:48 am

I believe, for extended storage, a light coating of oil will help preserve the finish and inhibit rust. Of course, then a cleaning will be necessary before shooting.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by r.tornello Tue May 19, 2020 11:48 am

Don't most owners manuals recommend oiling their weapons that are stored with a time table, for example every 2 months.

s far as the case goes leave it open and let it breathe. I also add the packaged driers I get in other products. You can purchase them on line too.

my 2 cents, RT
r.tornello
r.tornello

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Fri May 29, 2020 3:41 pm

When I was in the Navy, we would have to preserve the aircraft engines from time to time.  This was done with 1 lb desicant bags.  (lots of them).  When the engines were put back into service, we would toss the bags, which were still good.  Many of us repurposed those used bags for other things like  your safe, gun box etc.  Worked great and I have never had a rust problem.
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge Fri May 29, 2020 5:32 pm

I am a big believer in defense in depth.  I like to have dehumidifiers where firearms are stored.  I have VCI rust inhibiting emitters where I store firearms.  I oil firearms up also.

NuJudge

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Fri May 29, 2020 7:37 pm

I've used dessicant pouches from other products for years and have never had a problem. Every so often if I get a new one from a prescription or nicotine lozenges (hard-core addict) I replace an old one without giving it a thought. Dallas can get humid in the spring and summer (and fall and winter...) and this system works fine.

Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post by hg401 Fri May 29, 2020 9:18 pm

PacFltShooter wrote:When I was in the Navy, we would have to preserve the aircraft engines from time to time.  This was done with 1 lb desicant bags.  (lots of them).  When the engines were put back into service, we would toss the bags, which were still good.  Many of us repurposed those used bags for other things like  your safe, gun box etc.  Worked great and I have never had a rust problem.

I have some of those (though they were about 1/2 lb) that were shipped with motorcycles coming over from Japan.

hg401

Back to top Go down

Post by Asa Yam Sat May 30, 2020 12:35 am

PacFltShooter wrote:When I was in the Navy, we would have to preserve the aircraft engines from time to time...
Common practice for US Navy shooters.  Dessicant bags can be "reenergized" by heating them in an oven above 212 *F, 45 minutes to an hour is recommended for a soak time.

Asa Yam

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Sat May 30, 2020 11:56 am

Asa Yam wrote:
PacFltShooter wrote:When I was in the Navy, we would have to preserve the aircraft engines from time to time...
Common practice for US Navy shooters.  Dessicant bags can be "reenergized" by heating them in an oven above 212 *F, 45 minutes to an hour is recommended for a soak time.
Exactly Asa.  Works as advertised.
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by PacFltShooter Sat May 30, 2020 11:59 am

hg401 wrote:
PacFltShooter wrote:When I was in the Navy, we would have to preserve the aircraft engines from time to time.  This was done with 1 lb desicant bags.  (lots of them).  When the engines were put back into service, we would toss the bags, which were still good.  Many of us repurposed those used bags for other things like  your safe, gun box etc.  Worked great and I have never had a rust problem.

I have some of those (though they were about 1/2 lb) that were shipped with motorcycles coming over from Japan.
Could be 1/2, never weighed them.  The labeling on the bag indicated that it contains "16 units".  I assumed that meant one pound. Cool
PacFltShooter
PacFltShooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down