Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gun and Ammo shortage - how long?

+6
JLK
DeweyHales
SMBeyer
BE Mike
dcleary
Chris_D
10 posters

Go down

Gun and Ammo shortage - how long? Empty Gun and Ammo shortage - how long?

Post by Chris_D 2/17/2013, 7:56 am

Hi Shooters,

I got back into this sport a couple of years ago so I am not aware of how long the last Ammo shortage lasted. Getting bullets (Zero 185 HPSWC) for the 45 and CCI Std Vel is starting to worry me. I have been cutting back more and more on practice to preserve ammo for matches. The downside is that the more I cut back on shooting, the worse my scores get.

At this point in time I have about 4000 rounds of 22 and 1500 rounds of 45 ammo on hand. Normally I would be shooting about 500 rounds per week and obviously what I got won't last me much longer.

Anyone care to offer a guess as to when we might start seeing stock levels get back to normal?

Chris

Chris_D

Back to top Go down

Gun and Ammo shortage - how long? Empty Re: Gun and Ammo shortage - how long?

Post by dcleary 2/17/2013, 8:26 am

Hi Chris,
I can't answer your question, however I can tell you I can't find CCI Std Vel either and I went to 3 shops in NH and all were out. I also couldn't get 9mm bullets, primers or powder and the gentlemen there said I wouldn't be able to get them until September. He indicated all supplies are going to ammunition manufactures who have priority and due to the high demand for ammo the ammunition manufactures can't make them fast enough. Its getting ridiculous. I ended up buying 100 rds 9mm at an inflated price 17.99/50. I use to get 9mm at 12.99/50. I shoot IDPA also so I blow through 100 rds or more every practice. I will be practicing less for both Bulleseye and IDPA.

dcleary

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/17/2013, 8:46 am

It is disconcerting to browse places like Champion Shooter's Supply, Champion's Choice and Midway and find all of their .22 ammo out of stock.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 2/17/2013, 9:10 am

I live close to Zanders Sporting Goods which is a very large wholesale only store. They say that they have virtually nothing to sell. Guns, ammo, reloading supplies, nothing. It's gonna take a while before things are readily available. Your best bet is to find somewhere that you can put in an order for things and do it now. Hopefully it will come in by the time you need it.

Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales 2/17/2013, 1:28 pm

I greatly prefer CCI SV, but I have had good luck with Blazer and a few other brands.

I have been unable to find Small Primers for sale, but I have been able to trade some Large Pistol to a local guy.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by JLK 2/17/2013, 2:54 pm

For .22 I'd try CMP. They are out of stock right now but they are accepting backorders. You can read the announcement regarding the anticipated delivery time here:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=98331

Aquila is not my first choice but it appears it could be available on a limited basis in case quantities this Spring.
From the announcement it also sounds like it will probably be sold out before then.
I went ahead and ordered some. If things change or get better I can always cancel before it gets here.
Good Luck!
JLK
JLK
JLK

Back to top Go down

Post by Yiogo 2/18/2013, 10:09 am

Last week I walked into 3 gun stores. None of them have 22LR. Yiogo

Yiogo

Back to top Go down

Post by WVBE Shooter 2/18/2013, 9:22 pm

Hi Everyon,
I have been using this website to purchase ammo. It updates automatically.
http://www.gunbot.net/index.php?cal=22lr

WVBE Shooter

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 2/19/2013, 10:01 am

18 months is my guess before everything is back to pre-elect obama status, that said diligent shooters can find what they need sooner, if you want 22 or primers do a back order from a big company, times are running a few months for delivery. 45 lead can be found at quality cast from bob chow, he is priced good and ships fast.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 2/19/2013, 6:20 pm

All the shortages make me reflect upon just how small the gun and ammo industry really is. Demand has easily outstripped production on many occasions over the years. I remember after one cool down, helping out a buddy who bought way too many primers for not so good a deal. I paid him what he paid for them, although I could have bought some a bit cheaper.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by lakesidemn 3/14/2013, 10:48 pm

I purchase CCI SV from a local gun/sporting goods retailer in St. Paul (MN). They always had plenty of inventory and good pricing until now. One of the guys told me the Military has a 15-month contract with ATK (Blazer, CCI, Estate, Federal, Fusion, Speer). Evidently their orders are filled first before municipal/state and finally distributors for retail sales. This contract began Jan 1st of this year, which means it could be a while. Big Bummer!
lakesidemn
lakesidemn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down