Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scratches near 45 ACP case mouth from feeding

+9
PhotoEscape
james r chapman
Jon Eulette
Aprilian
noylj
Dcforman
Olde Pilot
LenV
Joe Morgan
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scratches near 45 ACP case mouth from feeding - Page 2 Empty Scratches near 45 ACP case mouth from feeding

Post by Joe Morgan 9/14/2020, 6:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

I've got a new 1911 pistol and was checking to make sure my dummy rounds would feed before I load a bunch up. In the process, when ejecting the rounds, I noticed some horizontal scratches on the outside of the brass, near the case mouth (and perpendicular to it). These cases did not have these scratches (or smiles, sort of?) before loading. Appears to happen regardless of using slide release or by pulling the slide back and letting it close home.

Any idea what they are? I've not seen these from any of my other guns.

Scratches near 45 ACP case mouth from feeding - Page 2 Scratc10

Joe Morgan

Back to top Go down

Scratches near 45 ACP case mouth from feeding - Page 2 Empty Re: Scratches near 45 ACP case mouth from feeding

Post by zanemoseley 9/16/2020, 11:28 am

Joe Morgan wrote:
jglenn21 wrote:Pretty good bet you've had some 3 point jams
Yes, I have. Apparently, they are my fault due to incorrect reloading practices. After following the vendors instructions to remedy, I still have issues, which I guess are my fault, too.

Very sad a sponsor won't stand behind their product. I would ask for them to pay to have it shipped back for a repair. I suppose you could try some factory bullseye ammo like Zero or Atlanta Arms to rule out your ammo but I see no issues with your loaded rounds pictured above. If they refuse to do so I would be posting some bad press to warn others.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Scratches near 45 ACP case mouth from feeding - Page 2 Empty Re: Scratches near 45 ACP case mouth from feeding

Post by Joe Morgan 9/16/2020, 12:49 pm

zanemoseley wrote:
Joe Morgan wrote:
jglenn21 wrote:Pretty good bet you've had some 3 point jams
Yes, I have. Apparently, they are my fault due to incorrect reloading practices. After following the vendors instructions to remedy, I still have issues, which I guess are my fault, too.

Very sad a sponsor won't stand behind their product. I would ask for them to pay to have it shipped back for a repair. I suppose you could try some factory bullseye ammo like Zero or Atlanta Arms to rule out your ammo but I see no issues with your loaded rounds pictured above. If they refuse to do so I would be posting some bad press to warn others.

The middle round with two scratches is factory Atlanta Arms.

Joe Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/16/2020, 1:14 pm

In that case I would give them one more chance to make it right before I posted a PSA for others.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 9/16/2020, 2:01 pm

Or, take 2 minutes to fix it. I used the word sharp but perhaps there is a better word. You will never cut yourself on it or peel spuds. What you have is a very exact machine cut finish. So exact that it forms a very pointy ridge. This ridge makes contact with the case going into battery and is pointy enough that it indents the case then drags across as slide moves forward. If you were using 230 gr hardball rounds you would not have this mark because the bullet hitting the top of ramp would tilt the round enough that case would slide right past ridge. You don't need a dremel tool. You can lighty smooth ridge with a soft finger nail file (Emory side). All you're doing is smoothing the factory crisp edge. Just another. 03 (inflation) from me.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 9/16/2020, 2:27 pm

I still wouldn't touch anything on a new $5k pistol, that's what he paid top dollar for. Especially when it won't even feed Atlanta Arms ammo.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 9/16/2020, 2:28 pm

Typically when fitting a Kart NM barrel or KKM barrel (custom builds 99%of the time) need the barrel set back from the feed ramp for proper feeding. This typically moves the barrel ramp forward towards the muzzle 0.030”. As a result the roll over point or transition from ramp to chamber needs radiused because it is now a sharp edge ( the barrels come this way from barrel maker). More than likely it was not radiused enough and this is causing the dented cases. Can happen from feeding with or without 3 point jam. From the pics I think it will need aggressive radiusing requiring a power tool (Dremel/Foredom).
My 2 cents. Contact builder again. He only needs the barrel, not the entire pistol to fix the issue. If they refuse then send it to me and I will fix at no charge to you.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

spyer40, Aprilian, lakemurrayman, SingleActionAndrew and Motophotog7 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by KBarth 9/16/2020, 2:31 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Typically when fitting a Kart NM barrel or KKM barrel (custom builds 99%of the time) need the barrel set back from the feed ramp for proper feeding. This typically moves the barrel ramp forward towards the muzzle 0.030”. As a result the roll over point or transition from ramp to chamber needs radiused because it is now a sharp edge ( the barrels come this way from barrel maker). More than likely it was not radiused enough and this is causing the dented cases. Can happen from feeding with or without 3 point jam. From the pics I think it will need aggressive radiusing requiring a power tool (Dremel/Foredom).
My 2 cents. Contact builder again. He only needs the barrel, not the entire pistol to fix the issue. If they refuse then send it to me and I will fix at no charge to you.
Jon
This is why I will only ever buy a 1911 built by Jon. Many new people don't know him but he is a mile above the rest of the bullseye smiths in my opinion. No other Smith would offer to fix someone else's screw up for free.
KBarth
KBarth

spyer40 and Aprilian like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Morgan 9/16/2020, 4:31 pm

LenV wrote:Or, take 2 minutes to fix it. I used the word sharp but perhaps there is a better word. You will never cut yourself on it or peel spuds. What you have is a very exact machine cut finish. So exact that it forms a very pointy ridge. This ridge makes contact with the case going into battery and is pointy enough that it indents the case then drags across as slide moves forward. If you were using 230 gr hardball rounds you would not have this mark because the bullet hitting the top of ramp would tilt the round enough that case would slide right past ridge. You don't need a dremel tool. You can lighty smooth ridge with a soft finger nail file (Emory side). All you're doing is smoothing the factory crisp edge. Just another. 03 (inflation) from me.

LenV,

Thank you for your note. I didn't think to run any 230 ball in the gun, so I did and added them to the photo:

Scratches near 45 ACP case mouth from feeding - Page 2 Scratc11

The first one to left was using a magazine with a flat follower. The one on the end to the right was with the magazine that came with the gun and has a rounded follower.

I want to thank everyone who took their time to write in with a thought, well wish, or offer of help. I feel like I have enough ammo now to revisit the issue with the vendor.

If I don't get resolution with the vendor, or get ghosted or gaslighted in any way, I'll be sure to drop their name here. I have the correspondence, photos, etc., to back my claim up.

Joe Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Morgan 12/22/2020, 11:05 pm

Just to follow up here- the issue was diagnosed by an independent 3rd party who has had a lot of experience with bullseye guns, and the gun's issue was due to two things:

1) No/little extractor tension. Yes, the back of the pistol was blended and everything looked great, but the extractor from the vendor did not have the proper tension. To be clear, this is a new gun, not a frankenbuild of parts sent to the vendor. The extractor was replaced and the pistol is well now.

2) Small burr on the transition from ramp into the chamber. A small touch of polishing worked a treat. It seems both this and the above is the reason for the marking on the brass.

At the end of the day, I have no confidence in this pistol or builder, which I don't say lightly. Such small details should be caught before blaming magazines, ammo, or user; magazines, by the way, which were both new and supposedly tuned by the builder (which I no longer believe). The builder requested sending the gun, along with some of the ammo made here to their specifications (which any shooter who'd listen to my tale of woe at a shoot would say, "uh, no, this isn't the problem,") back to them on my dime; which was a non-starter since it didn't run correctly from the get go. 

Remember, it is easy to be too nice for far too long. And, to be fair, it's been a weird year, so some of the problems that would have been witnessed in a couple months of shooting didn't happen since the year didn't quite go that way.

Nevertheless, I recommend folks do a lot of talking to others about vendors who are listed at the top of the banner for this forum who build pistols. My sense is, after speaking to many in the community at various matches this year, you'll find the right person for you after you hear the various tales of customer service, or lack thereof, when you poll enough people. But, as it stands today, I can't name the vendor who has poor customer service, and let a lemon out the door, without potentially inviting a lawsuit. Sorry.

Joe Morgan

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj 12/23/2020, 11:00 am

Ignore previous post, but I still think that, except for being a $5k gun, it was still mostly cosmetic. But for that amount of money, there should be no cosmetic issues.

Last edited by noylj on 12/23/2020, 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Further reading.)

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2