Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib?

+3
james r chapman
mpolans
Tripscape
7 posters

Go down

Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib? Empty Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib?

Post by Tripscape Mon 14 Sep - 21:18

Hmmm got my AA rib today,was impressed by machining, fit and finish. That is until I took it to the table to put on the barrel, and discovered under incandescent good old regular light bulbs it looks purple. What the heck? Took it to the daylight = black. To the LED lights = black. To other regular 100Watt bulb = purple. There you have it. Emailed AA, they wrote back "[size=64]I just checked the scope mounts we have in stock and they all look black.  We don't have any incandescent lights here, everything is LED and they look black under that lighting.  I'd be happy to exchange it if you want to send it back."[/size]

Ok, but I don't want to send back just to get the same. Will call them tomorrow. Does anyone have same rib to check what it looks like? Dare I ask recent production?
Original is perfectly black, though I dislike the finish texture on it. 
Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib? 20200912
Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib? 20200911
Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib? 20200910

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib? Empty Re: Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib?

Post by mpolans Mon 14 Sep - 22:50

I'd worry less about the color of the rib and  more about the quality of the scope on it. Don't ever put one of those on slide mount on a .45. Mine lasted less than 30 rounds.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib? Empty Re: Anyone with Advantage Arms scope rib?

Post by Tripscape Tue 15 Sep - 0:40

Well, TRS are hit or miss depending on what one of like 8 iterations you get. I know people with TRS on AK rifle going strong and perfect zero. Several people have it on 22's and very happy, including my dad for many years. This particular one has a very nice about 2 MOA dot that is excelent quality, I handpicked it against a more recent iteration.  Clicks are pronounced and perfect tension.  Glass is green tint not unlike Aimpoint H1, field of view is a tiny bit smaller than H1 but still good. Tiny bit of negative magnification, common to most red dots in all price ranges. Newer TRS has a much larger field of view in the same size package, but the dot looks like 3-4 MOA and more amber in color vs red. All in all very good as long as zero holds and no electronic problems, THAT is their downfall, the luck of the draw.  For $45 I wouldn't even sweat it, if it works it stays, else it goes and Romeo 5 or Holosun 403 comes.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue 15 Sep - 5:07

Well, your shipping package is white, not the color in the photo.
Trust outdoor light.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Tue 15 Sep - 7:13

Sell it to someone from Minnesota. They like purple there. At least they did before last weekend!

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Oleg G Tue 15 Sep - 8:08

I recently sent one of my two AA kits to the company for repair. They turned it around very quickly - in less that a week and charged me only for shipping. AA replaced my slide with a new one. I just compared the two slides. They are definitely of a different color - the older slide is a deeper black than the new one. I also looked at both slides under an incandescent light and the new slide definitely has a purplish hue, while the oder slide is black.

Thus, is looks like AA recently changed their bluing method or composition. 

I find this mildly curious but the conversion shoots great and I am happy with their repair service and the performance of the conversion.

Regards,
Oleg.
Oleg G
Oleg G

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Tue 15 Sep - 8:24

Thank you Oleg, that helps a lot! You saved me time and effort on the return process.  I guess I am keeping it as is.  Спасибо!
Yevgeny

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightfoot Wed 16 Sep - 15:37

Those AA conversions are wonderful.  I have 2 now.  My latest conversion is purple in sunlight too.  Very weird.  I don't care, it shoots 1 1/2" off a rest.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape Wed 16 Sep - 16:55

So I spoke to AA reps, they said no reason to replace it as they buy in 1000's units lots and all undergo same machining and melonite process, all will be identical. So basically take it or leave it purple as is))). It bugs the hell out of me as I am a perfectionist with my gear, but I will leave it.  Sounds like some of you n the same boat.

Happy to report that it fit and works great. For the record Bushnell TRS was spot on and zeroed with only 5 MOA clicks up (1.25) inches at 25 yards.  Felt robust and I do not see any optical or dot difference between TRS and Ultradot Micro. For $105 total it was a nice upgrade from iron sights that I still intend to use now and then

Last edited by Tripscape on Wed 16 Sep - 22:33; edited 1 time in total

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Wed 16 Sep - 17:47

It is a byproduct of the meloniting process. Nitrocarburizing can make some steels react to create a red hue when hot tank blued.  Your only other option is to cerakote it.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down