Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner Question #2 & 3

+5
Schaumannk
jglenn21
10sandxs
John Dervis
SonOfSwede
9 posters

Go down

Beginner Question #2 & 3 Empty Beginner Question #2 & 3

Post by SonOfSwede Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:02 pm

The lubricant on a SWC gets onto the outside of the loaded cartridge.  Does that need to be cleaned off?

While loading I get a small amount of power on the index dial and around it.  The Dillon manual says do not use a vacuum cleaner to clean that up.  What is typically used?

SonOfSwede

Back to top Go down

Beginner Question #2 & 3 Empty Re: Beginner Question #2 & 3

Post by John Dervis Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:44 pm

1) If the lube is really thick, I will wipe it off. If it's just a trace near the mouth, I will leave it be.  

2) I use a toothbrush or small paintbrush to wipe off spilled powder.  The reason for Dillon not recommending a vacuum is because of static electricity.  A vacuum hose will have static which could cause the powder to ignite.

John Dervis

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:07 pm

I use "canned air" to gently blow debris away from the shellplate

10sandxs

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:24 am

An old shaving soap brush is a great tool to have around the shop. Try a bit more case bell to see if that helps with the lube issue. Best bet is to move to HiTec coated bullets
. Love them
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:16 am

jglenn21 wrote:An old shaving soap brush is a great tool to have around the shop. Try a bit more case bell to see if that helps with the lube issue.  Best bet is to move to HiTec coated bullets
. Love them
I use a pastry brush.  The Zero bullet lubes seem to be ok.  Some of the cheaper cast bullets are covered with wax, so watch for the wax gumming up both your seater die and your crimp die.  

I second the recommendation of the powder coated bullets.  I also suggest depriming your brass and then wet washing it in a separate process if you want to keep your press cleaner.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by Texasref Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:59 am

Any coated bullet will be better than fussing with the lead/wax lube situation.
Absolutely no leading in the barrel. There will be some carbon build up so they do need to be cleaned out after every 200 rounds or so.
Many coated bullets will have the wax ring groove in them. That's just the mold they have and they will load and shoot fine. It bothered me a little, so I found "DG Bullets" without the lube grooves and have been shooting them for several years now.

Texasref

troystaten likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:57 pm

Texasref wrote: "DG Bullets" without the lube grooves and have been shooting them for several years now.

Thanks for the lead! Do you need to expand the cases more to seat them at all vs bare lead?
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:48 pm

Often just a smidge
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:20 pm

You should compare the non groove bullets verses the equivalent grooved bullet for accuracy...
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:52 pm

If you are getting lube on the case, use more case mouth flare and ensure the bullet is square to the case.
Use a cosmetic brush, use your fingers/hand, use your breathe, use a rag or paper towel.
Personally, I found that NOT vacuuming up powder was as justified as NOT using a cell phone near a gas pump. Both come from someone making up an issue and the companies having to protect themselves by going along with the insanity. Only problem with a vacuum is if the bag/filter has a hole and the powder gets blown by the motor giving off sparks...
Note: I love coated bullets, but they aren't quite as accurate as commercial swaged lead bullet (at 12-13 BHN) or my own cast bullets (at 10-13 BHN).
So, I can say that non-grooved coated bullets I have tested are not quite as accurate as the non-lube groove wax lubricated commercial bullets or my own grooved and conventional lubricated cast bullets.
YMMV

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:54 pm

I’d suggest checking out some of Mason Talbots and other Master/High Master competition targets posted online using Brazo’s Hi Tek Coated bullets. Then decide for yourself if coated bullets are accurate enough for your needs
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down