Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any harm by running a Marvel Unit on Fitted BE lower?

+2
Jon Eulette
CraigB5940
6 posters

Go down

Any harm by running a Marvel Unit on Fitted BE lower? Empty Any harm by running a Marvel Unit on Fitted BE lower?

Post by CraigB5940 10/14/2020, 2:56 pm

Your opinions are welcome:

I have a primary and backup BE 1911 that both function fine with my Marvel Unit 1. My primary gun is a new brand new RRA 1911 BE model, and the backup is a gunsmith fit Springfield RO. The RRA lower feels better because it's checkered on the front strap but I don't want to do harm to it by running 3-5K per year of 22 LR through it in the off season-is my thinking valid? I'm running identical KC roll triggers on them so the trigger feel between them is close but not exact-that's because they are drop ins and not fit by KC to the Frame. I love the front strap checkering on the RRA and the trigger feels a tad better too!

Right now the SA RO is the host to the Marvel Unit 1 since it's my backup BE 1911.

Thanks,

Craig B

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Any harm by running a Marvel Unit on Fitted BE lower? Empty Re: Any harm by running a Marvel Unit on Fitted BE lower?

Post by Jon Eulette 10/14/2020, 3:00 pm

Marvel will not wear the lower. Use either lower.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

kc.crawford.7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Any harm by running a Marvel Unit on Fitted BE lower? Empty Re: Any harm by running a Marvel Unit on Fitted BE lower?

Post by Tripscape 10/14/2020, 3:02 pm

No worries running any conversion unless conversion bolt/slide is made of steel. As long as slide is aluminum it is softer metal than frame rails and therefore cannot damage your frame. Slide is really the only moving part touching your frame.

Tripscape

mpolans likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 10/14/2020, 3:54 pm

Go for it.
I've done the same with Marvel's & Nelsons.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by 285wannab 10/14/2020, 4:20 pm

You could add a strip of traction tape to the front strap

285wannab

knightimac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CraigB5940 10/14/2020, 9:41 pm

I forgot to mention this is a Steel lock back Marvel Unit 1.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 10/14/2020, 9:57 pm

Steel no problem. Lube like an aluminum slide. I have one too.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 10/14/2020, 10:35 pm

Jon, I don't know the tolerances, but wouldn't metal on metal wear off, at least the exacting tolerances of original frame to native slide fit? I mean even if we are talking thousandths. I know everyone is obsessing too much about tightness, but still.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 10/14/2020, 11:06 pm

I'm of the opinion if its oiled properly it will have negligible wear if any. They are loose on 99% of the frames out there. So I believe it is safe to shoot the steel conversion slide on the custom lower without any negative effects.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

bpettet likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 10/15/2020, 12:23 am

Makes sense if it's loose. I never encountered steel slide, so don't know the tolerances. However, I always wanted a unit with steel slide for the weight. Thank you!

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by chiz1180 10/15/2020, 12:46 am

The only way it could possibly be an issue is if you didn't keep the slide rails clean and oiled. I am of the opinion that more of the accuracy of a 45 is in the barrel fit rather than slide to frame, slide to frame is more of a handling feel thing, so realistically it should not matter at all. If you personally believe it could be a problem, get a dedicated lower built, as an aside in my experience a dedicated lower is better that swapping back and forth as you can tune it for function with your preferred (or available) ammo.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Any harm by running a Marvel Unit on Fitted BE lower? Empty Jon Thanks!

Post by CraigB5940 10/15/2020, 8:51 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it the try this winter.

CraigB5940

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down