Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frame for Marvel conversion

+9
Jack Conner
Cmysix
AlEg
Surveyor
JRV
STEVE SAMELAK
mbmshooter
John Dervis
L. Boscoe
13 posters

Go down

Frame for Marvel conversion Empty Frame for Marvel conversion

Post by L. Boscoe Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:13 pm

Right now I have my Marvel 22 on a $3k pistol frame. Seems like a good idea to buy a cheap sub $400 new
1911, get KC's trigger/sear kit, have it tuned and mount the Marvel on it permanently.
Is that a mistake?

L. Boscoe

Back to top Go down

Frame for Marvel conversion Empty Re: Frame for Marvel conversion

Post by John Dervis Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:59 pm

I wouldn't think it's a mistake.  I have mine on a dedicated lower.  I had Rock River make me a lower years ago so it wasn't as expensive as it would be today.  If I was doing it again I would probably buy an inexpensive complete gun and tune the trigger as needed.  You could even use an older, used Bullseye wadgun with the trigger already done.  Benefit to that would be you would have a backup wadgun should you need one.  Several ways to skin the cat but buying a complete gun has its merits.

Good Luck.
John

John Dervis

mbmshooter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:27 pm

John Dervis wrote:I wouldn't think it's a mistake.  I have mine on a dedicated lower.  I had Rock River make me a lower years ago so it wasn't as expensive as it would be today.  If I was doing it again I would probably buy an inexpensive complete gun and tune the trigger as needed.  You could even use an older, used Bullseye wadgun with the trigger already done.  Benefit to that would be you would have a backup wadgun should you need one.  Several ways to skin the cat but buying a complete gun has its merits.

Good Luck.
John

I don't disagree with John but would add a caveat.  A properly set up lower for a .22 conversion should have ultra-lite ignition components and most likely will be set at or close to 2# trigger weight.  That setup might make using this lower as a backup CF pistol a bit more difficult.
Regardless, with some of the older BE shooters leaving the sport and selling their equipment, there will likely be some nice, already-accurized BE pistols available some at a reasonable price.

Mike

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:51 pm

i have (2) dedicated lowers.....optic & eic .
Both triggers are set like my wad gun.
it's an effort to learn fewer things.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Tripscape likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JRV Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:41 am

My Marvels share a dedicated sprung-for-.22 lower. Trigger is about 3 lbs 4 oz, but it doesn’t feel much different than the 4 lb trigger. Used the same trigger, stocks, and grip safety to keep things feeling consistent.

JRV

Back to top Go down

Post by Surveyor Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:24 pm

I'm a firm believer on a dedicated lower. I have my conversion on a S&W E series that never had a .45 loaded in it since it left the factory.  Picked it up from the store and took it straight to the gunsmith to tune the trigger down to .22 specs.  Also had to install a lighter mainspring for reliable cycling.  With the lighter trigger it would not be suitable for CF or .45, also the lighter mainspring would likely result in light strikes and misfires.

Surveyor

Jack Conner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AlEg Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:21 pm

Or have a lower from FCW / Marvel Pecision.
Have them tuned together.

AlEg

Back to top Go down

Post by Cmysix Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:43 pm

Fusion frame
Cmysix
Cmysix

Back to top Go down

Frame for Marvel conversion Empty FCW lower with Marvel

Post by Jack Conner Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:31 pm

AlEg wrote:Or have a lower from FCW / Marvel Pecision.

I did this a couple years ago... My Marvel was an older version and needed repair. Sent it to FCW for repair and matched/tuned to a new FCW lower. No regrets! Great quality work and shoots as expected - pleasant folks to deal with also...!

Jack Conner

AlEg likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:04 pm

Since the Marvel .22 conversion has a fixed barrel I don't see any reason to use a less expensive dedicated lower except trigger. One thing that is important to triggers is the location of the sear and hammer pin holes and size. Most important is distance between them and if they are parallel. I purchase a few frames from Caspian that didn't have the pin holes so I'm building a conversion with one of those frames and used a Jig Borer to put the in holes in! Milling machine will work if done by someone that knows what they are attempting to do but is not as accurate as Jig Borer.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:59 am

Jack Conner wrote:

I did this a couple years ago... My Marvel was an older version and needed repair. Sent it to FCW for repair and matched/tuned to a new FCW lower. No regrets! Great quality work and shoots as expected - pleasant folks to deal with also...!
I was given the opportunity to shoot the Marvel conversion with the FCW lower and i could not believe how well it shot for me. I was very impressed. I might have to lighten my wallet........

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by mbmshooter Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:13 pm

Foundryratjim wrote:
Jack Conner wrote:

I was given the opportunity to shoot the Marvel conversion with the FCW lower and i could not believe how well it shot for me. I was very impressed. I might have to lighten my wallet........

Travis has been building lowers for the Marvels for many years with many very happy customers.  That might be what motivated him to buy Marvel.

mbmshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:52 pm

I wonder if an aluminum frame would work.  .??

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1013501694
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kp321 Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:02 am

Wobbley wrote:I wonder if an aluminum frame would work.  .??

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1013501694b
I put one of my Nelson’s on an aluminum Commander frame for my grandkids to try. To me, the balance was all wrong. It shot fine, just didn’t feel right.

Kp321

RoyDean and JRV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down