Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Build Frame for 22 Conversion

+3
Jon Eulette
Wobbley
Soupy44
7 posters

Go down

Build Frame for 22 Conversion Empty Build Frame for 22 Conversion

Post by Soupy44 Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:30 pm

I'm thinking of buying a 1911 22 conversion so I can practice the heavier trigger.  I use a Model 41 for 22 and don't plan to change that.  

I'm interested in howmuch easier it would be to build a frame myself for this.  It seems sizing the rails is easy compared to fitting a barrel.  The trigger would be a task, but I'm willing to give it a shot.  

Am I missing anything?

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Build Frame for 22 Conversion Empty Re: Build Frame for 22 Conversion

Post by Wobbley Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:42 pm

If your building a frame for a conversion, I’m not sure the frame to slide fit matters that much.  Certainly not as much as a regular 45.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Allan Campbell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:03 pm

New receiver will allow conversion slide with no fitting of rails.
4# trigger job not too bad to do in comparison to 2#.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by NuJudge Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:39 pm

Think some more as to what you are going to do with it, and how much you are willing to spend.  If you are not, not, not going to use this for competition, a sophisticated purpose-built dedicated frame done by a name builder is not worth it.  

I don't know if you shoot .45 or centerfire, but if you do, and you use a 1911, if you use a full length guide rod with your .45 or CF upper, it is not difficult or time consuming to take off one top end and install the .22 top end.  

If all you're going to do is plink, you can look around for a Blem frame and install a drop-in trigger group and then fit a CDNN safety and other parts, or a buy a take-off for a very nice price.  As noted, frame-to-slide fit is not important.  If a Turkish Tisas frame does not offend you, you might want to look at this, which will probably go cheap:  https://www.gunbroker.com/item/994935407  The Tisas was a $325 pistol, from which was removed the slide and barrel.  

Give some thought as to qualities that you want the .22 conversion to have, such as lock-back of the slide when empty, and being safe to dry-fire.

NuJudge

Allan Campbell and PhotoEscape like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:38 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear, looking to build this myself. Only looking for accuracy at 25y. Don't care about lock back or dry fire safe. Want to practice sustained fire.

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:31 pm

Since it appears that your mission is a 1911 feel, 3.5 lb trigger and shooting a .22LR. Rather than build a 1911 frame piece by piece, which you could do, I would suggest trying to locate a used 1911, and use it. It probably would cost no more than a new Caspian frame and then buying all the needed parts and fitting them.

A Marvel or Nelson conversion kit will likely fit onto most all standard 1911 frames. Getting a trigger to 3.5 -4 lbs or so is fairly straight forward. By going the used 1911 route, you have a complete gun in that caliber as a bonus. You could tinker with that upper later if you choose.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:37 pm

Buy the base Tisas government  model. Forged frame and slide.
.maybe replace the sear with better aftermarket one like a C&S  or my favorite the extreme engineering lightweight sears. You can keep the upper to convert it back or sell it on fleebay for probably 200.. the tisas can be had for $319.

https://www.finfeatherfur.com/sds-imports-model-tisas-1911a1-service-special-45-acp-auto-5-8-rounds/
jglenn21
jglenn21

Hawkja and Gustavo1957 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimsteele Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:15 am

Building a dedicated frame for a conversion is certainly an option for you. You can do it with sandpaper, stones, and files.Plus a jig or two, a vice, and some blocks.
   I don't think you will save any money over buying a used, or G.I. model though.
You DO get the experience of building, and using something you built yourself, and that alone is worth a lot.

I built what is basically a govt. model Caspian, that without keeping records, probably cost me around $1200.00. It works OK, and looks almost OK for my first rust blue job.

However, I am considering sending it to an experienced Bullseye gunsmith to be re-barrelled, and gone over. If he will even consider doing it.

Building your own gun is kind of a money pit, plus you don't know what you will end up with. But, if you can afford to, what the he!!, go for it...

jimsteele

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down