Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Primer Safety

+5
BE Mike
weber1b
james r chapman
ASchlem
SonOfSwede
9 posters

Go down

Primer Safety Empty Primer Safety

Post by SonOfSwede 11/6/2020, 6:50 pm

How dangerous is to store one or more cases of 5000 primers in a house?

Do many people store multiple cases and if so what  processions are usually taken?

SonOfSwede

Back to top Go down

Primer Safety Empty Re: Primer Safety

Post by ASchlem 11/6/2020, 6:59 pm

Send them to me i will store them. 😆 LOL

ASchlem

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/6/2020, 7:41 pm

Never had a problem.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 11/6/2020, 7:50 pm

As I have 4 cases sitting on a shelf above my loading table, I will tell you I'm not too concerned.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 11/7/2020, 7:27 am

Here is probably more information about primers than you wanted, but I think it is worth the time to read: https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Info-Doc-Primers.pdf
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 11/7/2020, 10:46 am

james r chapman wrote:Never had a problem.

Sorry Jim, but I cringe every time I hear something like this... I've never had an accident driving drunk so it must me ok. I've never had a fire from smoking in bed so it must be ok. And a turkey thinks the farmer is a nice man who brings food everyday... until that one day.

Keep primers in the manufacturers' packaging. Don't store them in pickup tubes. If you have a lot make 2 wood storage boxes, one for primers and one for powder.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/7/2020, 11:45 am

The question was how dangerous to store in a house.
I’ve never had a problem in over 50 years.

Normal safety warnings followed .
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 11/7/2020, 12:24 pm

Don't catch them on fire or hit with a sledgehammer and you'll be good. Store them cool and dry to make them last.

zanemoseley

Al likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mikld 11/7/2020, 12:44 pm

Original packaging is designed for safe handling. I've never set any on fire or know anyone that had a house fire where bulk primers were stored. I have about 12,000 primers stored in my shed, in original packaging, and never had any worries. I started buying a little extra components and stocked up a bit, and have had 10-12K hanging around my shop for approx. 25 years...

mikld

Back to top Go down

Post by Slamfire 11/12/2020, 6:03 pm

One very good thing about lead styphnate primers is that they don't go unstable with age. I don't even know if they will dud out, like the old chlorate primers. Given enough time, they have too, right? 

Primer packaging has evolved over the years, the current big primer trays are the safest to date, primers are all separated from each other. And, as long as the primers are in their original containers, they are in the safest packaging arrangement possible.

Primers are coated with a compound, probably shellac, for water proofing. There should be zero primer dust around, but I have read that primers taken out of their packaging and poured into a glass jar are dangerous because of loose primer cake dust. I don't know how that could be. It might be that there were sensitive primers in the jar and incidental contact with something hard set them off. 

Primers should not make contact with anything hard. No bumps, smashes, etc.  Primer containers not in the original sheaves ought to have crush space to dissipate impact energy. Factory packaging is probably designed to absorb some impact energy and prevent energy  transmission to the primer. By the way, sensitive primers are real. Loose ammunition in evidence bags have gone off in court when the primers bumped something.

I don't know how hot it has to be to ignite a primer, but probably hundreds of degrees. As long as you don't store them in the fireplace, or on top of a stove burner, or have the house burn down, primers won't go off due to heat.

So, my advice, keep the primers in original packaging, don't get them wet, don't get them hot.

Slamfire

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 11/12/2020, 7:28 pm

As valuable as primers have become, I think I'll take the guns out of my safe and put my primers in there.

weber1b

Aprilian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down