Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instructions Detailed Strip Clean Smith M41

+4
TonyH
GME
cdrt
lanjo
8 posters

Go down

Instructions Detailed Strip Clean Smith M41 Empty Instructions Detailed Strip Clean Smith M41

Post by lanjo 11/8/2020, 8:09 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if any one knows of a manual or video for striping a M41 down to its individual parts and reassembling it.  I have a M41 that is 40 years old now that the trigger return spring went bad in a competition.  Seems things go bad with the gun when it gets either really cold or really hot.  I would like to strip it down to its parts, clean everything, put new springs in the whole gun, relube and reassemble.  Anyone know if there is a manual to do this?

Best,

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Instructions Detailed Strip Clean Smith M41 Empty Re: Instructions Detailed Strip Clean Smith M41

Post by cdrt 11/8/2020, 8:32 pm

This might help a little

https://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm#slidestrip
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Instructions Detailed Strip Clean Smith M41 Empty Re: Instructions Detailed Strip Clean Smith M41

Post by lanjo 11/8/2020, 8:35 pm

Hi Daryl,

I have seen this.  I am looking for more expansive stripping instructions than this.  This will help you do a few things, but I need a complete strip down.

Best,

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 11/8/2020, 10:00 pm

Joe,  You might try this: A & F Service Manuals

Here are some caveats.  I ordered from them once.  I might order again, but only if I knew what I was ordering is the real deal.  I have a Mod. 52 and wanted a manual.  I went on the cheap and ordered the 3 "included free" items.  One doc was a schematic.  The other 2 were generic articles are were completely useless.  For that I paid $8.

I didn't order the $19.94 "Just Print Everything" option, which I suspect may be comprehensive, but don't know.  I can tell you that if you select the $19.94 option, the charge in the cart is $19.94 + $8.  I haven't figured out where the extra $8 comes in, but that appears to be how it is. 

If you buy, the link goes into your account and you can retrieve the docs anytime without additional charge.

When I bought the M52 schematic, I didn't really need a disassembly manual, so I didn't go back and get the higher priced model.  So, it's anyone's guess what you get for the money.  Maybe what you need; maybe not.  

If you decide to go for it, please let us know the quality of get.  My Mod 41 is about 40 years old too; I'm the original owner.  At some point, I'm also going to need to know how to change out springs and things.

One final thing.  I found a reference on Google back to this forum on the same topic.  Apparently, someone has a good manual.  I gather it was free, but the manual disappeared when Google made some changes.  The fellow who has it wasn't willing to share it, because he assumed the owner took it off the net for a reason and didn't want to act against the owner's choice.  There is information suggesting owner probably never knew the manual was no longer there.  It's a shame, if it the manual is lost to us forever.  I've managed to find some links to it, or ones like it, but none are still active.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by lanjo 11/8/2020, 10:29 pm

Thanks GME.  I will check this out.

BTW.  Any gunsmiths out there who work on M41s???  How much would a complete strip down, respring, lube and reassembly cost?

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 11/8/2020, 11:04 pm

Sorry.  I don't have a clue.  I know there are a few gunsmiths in my area, but most seem to work on ARs and tactical type pistols.  I don't know any more about any of them.  I'm planning to join an outdoor club this spring.  It hosts bullseye, other NRA competitions and CMP.  Seems pretty active.  I hope to get a line on local gunsmiths from the shooters.  If I do, I'll pass on the information.

In the mean time, I suggest you start a new topic specifically asking for gunsmiths.  That should attract the most attention from gunsmiths here on the forum.  I'm a newbie here, but it seems to me like most are pretty much limited to 1911s.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by TonyH 11/9/2020, 5:18 am

lanjo wrote:Thanks GME.  I will check this out.

BTW.  Any gunsmiths out there who work on M41s???  How much would a complete strip down, respring, lube and reassembly cost?
Both smiths below do reputable work on M41's:

https://kcskustomcreations.com
http://www.samscustomgunworksusa.com/blank-2/

KC is a member on this forum. Call and talk with both to get a better idea of work needed and pricing.
TonyH
TonyH

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 11/9/2020, 5:41 am

Hey lanjo

Send me a email to crankythunder@yahoo.com.  I got some files for ya. 

Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/9/2020, 8:12 am

There is a site called StevesPages that has a huge inventory of manuals.  It was free while Steve was alive, but has moved to a subscription based resource since his passing.  I have not found out the cost of subscription and there appears to be no way to find out what manuals exist, but the new site manager supplies his contact info on the index page.  If anyone knows more about this site, perhaps that may help in this and other searches.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 11/9/2020, 10:26 am

Ed Hall wrote:There is a site called StevesPages that has a huge inventory of manuals.  It was free while Steve was alive, but has moved to a subscription based resource since his passing.  I have not found out the cost of subscription and there appears to be no way to find out what manuals exist, but the new site manager supplies his contact info on the index page.  If anyone knows more about this site, perhaps that may help in this and other searches.

The subscription is $12.  I clicked on the subscribe button and was taken to PayPal.  I canceled out, but got the not before getting the subscription amount.  I'm guessing it's annual, but it's only a guess.  Hopefully, someone here has more information on the site.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 11/9/2020, 1:03 pm

GME wrote:The subscription is $12.  I clicked on the subscribe button and was taken to PayPal.  I canceled out, but got the not before getting the subscription amount.  I'm guessing it's annual, but it's only a guess.  Hopefully, someone here has more information on the site.
Thanks for checking on that.  When I clicked subscribe, it went to Paypal, but showed nothing else.  I didn't bother logging in.  I suppose $12 might be OK, if it gets you that one important manual, but without knowing if it's there, I wouldn't pay it.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 11/9/2020, 1:12 pm

This seems pretty comprehensive.
https://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm
Sorry, this seems dupe of cdrt's post. Seems to cover everything.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 11/9/2020, 1:33 pm

Olde Pilot wrote:This seems pretty comprehensive.
https://guntalk-online.com/Model41maintenance.htm
Sorry, this seems dupe of cdrt's post. Seems to cover everything.

Not quite everything.  For instance, how to you replace the trigger return spring?  I don't find it in the guntalk link.  Hard to tell how much more is missing.  It's one of those 'I don't know what I don't know' sort of things.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 11/9/2020, 4:02 pm

lanjo wrote:...........Any gunsmiths out there who work on M41s???  How much would a complete strip down, respring, lube and reassembly cost?
If you're located in South Florida.....

Look up "Onlythebest" gun shop near Ft. Lauderdale, and ask for Frank, the gunsmith, who a lot of people have recommended to me.  
He has done good work for me, his prices are reasonable, and he usually gets things done fairly quickly.  
I took my Model 41 to him, and it came to great.  
(I would still be shooting with it, but I bought a new High Standard, and now all my 22 guns are put away while I use my Nelson Conversion.)
As for the 41, it felt like a "new gun" when I got it back from him, and he did things I hadn't even asked for, like polishing.

https://otbfirearms.com

Phone number and address are on the website.  Just ask for Frank.  He'll probably remember me, but I haven't been there since the virus issue.
Before that, I was there quite often.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down