Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DA revolver tips

+5
Sa-tevp
james r chapman
PhotoEscape
weber1b
CR10X
9 posters

Go down

DA revolver tips Empty DA revolver tips

Post by Sa-tevp December 13th 2020, 4:45 pm

Since I have a used S&W M64 with a very nicely worn in action, several books by revolver shooters and reloads in the 22 LR cost range, I look forward to trying my hand at Double Action shooting. Since several of the people on this board have shot PPC and other venues I would like to ask for ways to improve DA performance. I dry fire a lot and have good results with keeping empty 22-9mm-45 brass on the barrel while DA dry firing.

Can you share some other tips for getting good DA results while shooting?
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

DA revolver tips Empty Re: DA revolver tips

Post by CR10X December 14th 2020, 4:32 am

Grip, grip and even more grip with absolutely no hesitation in the trigger process and unflinching focus on the front sight.  The front sight will tell you what you're doing to the gun.  The more it moves in the notch, the more grip you need.  But you knew that.  

Like anything new, it takes training and multiple repetitions of the best you can do to ingrain the necessary skills.  

CR

CR10X

Steve B, Richard Ashmore, Sa-tevp and R*P*DR* like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b December 14th 2020, 6:07 am

While not specific to DA but it showed up more for me when shooting sustained fire, was how I gripped the gun. I tried to hold the revolver the similar to how I gripped my 45 and that did not work. Each gun needs to be gripped the way each gun is designed. Once I got my grip up higher where it belonged I could control the gun and my scores shot up.

weber1b

Steve B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp December 15th 2020, 2:38 pm

Oh we had fun today with live ammo. I used all the rings on a B-8C but it was a hoot. WST smoke tastes bad. 100 rounds goes pretty quick compared to single action shooting but I am happy to stay on the repair center.

I don't know how the past shooters shot well with factory grips like Magnas. I have a fat set of Pachmayr Presentation grips installed. I guess that will be another challenge for the future.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape December 19th 2020, 3:47 pm

I have a side question on DA, - is trigger modification specific to DA allowed?  Rules Book in Section 3 specifies weight for Single Action and specific to modification to it.  Nothing about DA.  Appreciate clarification on this.

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X December 20th 2020, 6:16 am

Rule for double action weight is probably not needed.  I'll bet if you get close to the single action trigger weight for a double action pull; you probably will not be firing any shots.  Even with Federal primers if you can find them....

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman December 20th 2020, 7:36 am

CR10X wrote:Rule for double action weight is probably not needed.  I'll bet if you get close to the single action trigger weight for a double action pull; you probably will not be firing any shots.  Even with Federal primers if you can find them....

Yep, at least 5-6# for DA reliability
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp December 20th 2020, 8:07 am

My S&W M14-3 and M64-3 both would fail to fire in DA if the SA trigger weight got too light.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape December 20th 2020, 3:26 pm

Thank you!  I'm new to revolvers, so many things are yet to be get acquainted with.  Does any kind of tape allowed over grips?  Or on the back and the front straps?  Like skate board tape? 

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

DA revolver tips Empty Revolver Rules

Post by Richard Ashmore December 22nd 2020, 2:29 pm

PhotoEscape wrote:Thank you!  I'm new to revolvers, so many things are yet to be get acquainted with.  Does any kind of tape allowed over grips?  Or on the back and the front straps?  Like skate board tape? 

AP
It depends on whether or not you are in a Distinguished Revolver match.  See Rule 3 at https://competitions.nra.org/media/8365/nra-precision-pistol-rules.pdf
Richard Ashmore
Richard Ashmore

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale December 22nd 2020, 4:11 pm

Grip is important, K may add to this as he is phenomenal with Revolvers. 

I see, and use, three options:
1) SF..choke up as high as you can, up on the hump. You probably can't cock it there without using the other hand and may even get pinched by the hammer in doing so.

2) Sustained single action..put thumb on hammer , then add fingers to the grip. I personally put the barrel in line with my arm bones.

3) DA sustained..pick it up like a frying pan. Finger waaaay into trigger. Gives a lot of leverage. Some actins have a sensible pause just before firing in DA, others, you can let your fingertip touch your thumb as a trigger stop. On one gun,  I can pull fast and index the cylinder almost with a snap and then continue through the last stage for a controlled pull.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Steve B, rreid and Richard Ashmore like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 December 23rd 2020, 6:04 am

When you guys say grip is important do you grip it really hard? I want to shoot revolver with 2 hands and be fast and accurate. Any good videos on this?
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X December 23rd 2020, 6:14 am

Here you go.

And yes, he does grip it pretty good!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=jerry+miculek+youtube#id=1&vid=6270a9f027519af14c53a75dcb40b16b&action=click

Once you get that one, you will find many others for Jerry.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 December 23rd 2020, 6:22 am

Thanks!

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale December 23rd 2020, 7:13 am

Really hard is relative, but yes, hard is good, but not to the point of a tremble and that's where your limit is different from others. You build up strength. That muzzle flip that you see in recoil is a sign, learn to reduce it. there is also flip at firing but, also bad, is different.

I am a single hand fan, for high precision in slow and sustained. that second hard doesn't always help and can add unwanted complications. If that's your thing, look for Grant Cunningham website and books.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X December 23rd 2020, 10:50 am

From my personal experience (and talking some IPSC Grand Masters), for the two hand grip, the grip pressure feeling is about 75 of the grip from the off hand and 25% from the strong (trigger) hand.  Strong hand feels more pushing "out" and off  hand  somewhat "pulling in". 

This allows you to take full advantage of using two hands by reducing the grip force from the "trigger" hand which help free up the trigger finger and still maintain control of the gun.  And also why a lot of "two hand" shooters have a little trouble switching to "bullseye" / one hand style.  Those that are good at it recognize the different need between the two grips and adapt.  Others flounder and dread strong hand only / weak hand only stages. 

CR

CR10X

chopper likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JNW1 December 23rd 2020, 1:37 pm

Thanks for the tips. I’d love to shoot one handed, but there are 2 problems. First is that there is one bullseye range in my state (Minnesota) and it’s outdoors with limited range time and few tournaments. Second is that my shoulders are not what they used to be and I couldn’t shoot 60 rounds with my just my right hand much less a match.
Jeff

JNW1

Back to top Go down

Post by WillH December 27th 2020, 3:45 pm

For DR matches is a competitor allowed to shoot a 357 and use 357 brass?  I've often considered getting a DR gun but get confused on this point.  The way the rules are written it seems like it could, not that it would be any advantage to the shooter.
WillH
WillH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down