Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 S&W Long wadcutter OAL?

4 posters

Go down

32 S&W Long wadcutter OAL? Empty 32 S&W Long wadcutter OAL?

Post by beeser Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:07 pm

I'm loading 32 S&W Long wadcutters for the first time.  PardiniUSA recommended Lapua brass, 98 gr. H&N bullets, Winchester primers and 1.9 grs. of VHIT N310.  I have everything except the unobtainium H&Ns, which I'll be substituting Speer 98 gr. wadcutters instead.  I'm all set to go except I can't find any data for an OAL or bullet projection beyond the case.  Any suggestions on this and the recommended crimp?

beeser

Back to top Go down

32 S&W Long wadcutter OAL? Empty Re: 32 S&W Long wadcutter OAL?

Post by JKR Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:03 pm

I load it so there is no protrusion past the case mouth. The little dimple in the center of the bullet should be flush with the case mouth if you hold a straight edge across it. Use a light roll crimp to start. Increase the crimp a little if there are feed issues. If you can get hold of a round of factory loaded Lapua, use it for reference.
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Greetings,

I would consider 1.9 (one point nine) grains of VV N310 rather stiff.

Most shooters of the wadcutter ammo use between 1.3 and 1.5.

From the H&N WebSite...

https://www.hn-sport.de/en/reloading/wc-hb-314-100-gr-l

That load may perform well in a revolver.

I hope you have a chronograph available.

Back to your question...

Seat the Speer bullet so the shoulder is flush with the end of the case mouth.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by noylj Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:37 pm

COL is equal to case length minus a very slight roll crimp.
After seating and crimping, pull a bullet and ensure that the bullet OD has not changed and that there is no damage to the bullet.
Keep velocity low: 625-725 fps.

noylj

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:42 pm

I got a little impatient and loaded 25 rounds using 1.9 grs of N310 with an OAL of .933 leaving a little lead sticking out.  Based on the comments and suggestions above I'll go back and work up to 1.5 grs beginning with 1.3 grs.  I'll also insert the bullet flush with the case mouth.  I didn't intend to chronograph anything but will now.  This was the first time using a 32 S&W Dillon die set and found the SW powder funnel really grabby.  It really shakes the press when loading.  Is it really necessary to use this funnel or can the S funnel be used?  I'm loading with an XL650 if it makes a difference.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:55 am

It will be interesting to see if you can get the consistency necessary for the 32 from the Dillon powder measure.
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:30 am

JKR wrote:It will be interesting to see if you can get the consistency necessary for the 32 from the Dillon powder measure.
JKR
Using the small powder slide bar it seems to be throwing consistently.  I checked every case for the first 5 thrown, then every other one for a few more and lastly every 5 cases until the end and it was spot on.  Accuracy of my Dillon electronic scale is questionable though.  It needs constant zeroing.  I do have an RCBS Competition Powder Measure as a backup.  Do you have problems with the Dillon powder measure?

I am concerned about the powder funnel (SW) though and question whether it is the right one.  Dillon specifies it for S&W Long.  The funnel has a long neck and extends quite a way into the case.  I suspect it is to expand the case so as not to distort the long HBWC.  Correct me if I'm wrong.  The problem though is it really grabs the case and is a hard pull on the handle.  All said it appears I'll have to put a bit more thought and effort into loading this cartridge than the 45 ACP.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:33 am

Sounds like it’s working for you. I have no experience loading 32 on the Dillon. I have one set up for 45acp but load 32 on a turret press.I was curious about how the Dillon measure would handle those tiny charges. 
Alex might be able to help you out with your funnel issues. When I started with the 32, Dave Wilson made me a custom expander for a Redding die. It is the right length and diameter for the 100 grain .314” H&N bullet.
JKR

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:54 pm

JKR wrote:Sounds like it’s working for you. I have no experience loading 32 on the Dillon. I have one set up for 45acp but load 32 on a turret press.I was curious about how the Dillon measure would handle those tiny charges. 
Alex might be able to help you out with your funnel issues. When I started with the 32, Dave Wilson made me a custom expander for a Redding die. It is the right length and diameter for the 100 grain .314” H&N bullet.
JKR
I sort of collect vintage presses, mainly progressives and automatic derivatives, and intend to put many of them to actual use.  My Dillon XL650 although sort of boring in design has caliber conversions for 45 ACP, 38 Special, 9mm, 32 ACP and 32 S&W Long.  I'm finding it does a good job cranking out 45 ACP so I intend to keep it for that use.  My current plans are to use a Star Universal for 32 S&W Long.  It's already set up for that but I haven't got around to actually making ammo on it.  I'm hoping to use my Texan metallic for 32 ACP.  It's a small progressive press with a nice primer setup that is somewhat easier to index than the Star.  I may use my RCBS Competition powder measure on this one.  The rare Hollywood Metallic Automatic that I have is destined for 38 Special only because the only shell plate that I have for it is in that caliber.  I'm still looking for parts to get it running.  My Hollywood Senior Turret is another beautiful machine that currently has 12 gauge shotshell dies installed.  There is also room for a set of metallic dies and another powder measure.  Then there is a Tri-Standard behemoth that was originally designed and manufactured by Joe Dircks, a rather colorful LA cop.  It's probably the most complicated and heaviest machine in my stable.  There are others including a few Hollywood Shotshell Automatics but I doubt any will be put to practical use.  Their just eye candy.  Sorry for the digression.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down