Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Bullseye Match in 45 Years

+3
-TT-
REConley
rkittine
7 posters

Go down

First Bullseye Match in 45 Years Empty First Bullseye Match in 45 Years

Post by rkittine 1/5/2021, 9:12 pm

Well, I pulled the trigger (literally) and shot my first Bullseye League Match in 45 years. Took my S&W Model 52 to the range this morning to make sure that it was still sighted in, and it seemed OK. Although I just received a new Vortex Venom Red Dot and it's Mount, I had yet to install it and sight it in, so I made it to the match tonight with iron sights.

So much for being sighted in. In slow fire every thing was high and a few missed the paper totally. Prior to Timed Fire, I cranked the rear sight down 5 clicks and was rewarded for a half decent score in timed fire and a better score in rapid fire. 

Probably the worst shooter there, but I have a good time and am motivated to practice more, get the Red Dot installed and sighted in and get back to reloading .38 WC.

Maybe will try one of my .32 S&W Longs soon.

Bob
rkittine
rkittine

Danehogle likes this post

Back to top Go down

First Bullseye Match in 45 Years Empty Re: First Bullseye Match in 45 Years

Post by REConley 1/5/2021, 10:29 pm

Very good. I haven't shot in a match since 1988 or so, actually I do not remember the last time. Gearing up to start shooting a Tuesday night weekly league 22lr match.  Hope I do not shoot someone else's target.  Smile
REConley
REConley

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 1/6/2021, 8:31 am

Welcome back! Smile
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 1/6/2021, 9:55 am

Put some serious time into training and shooting with the .22.  Conserve primers and maximize training time and results.

Congratulations on making it back!  

Remember we can't have matches without Match Directors and Match Directors won't have matches if shooters don't show up.

CR

CR10X

djperry2, chiz1180 and Thin Man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jwax 1/14/2021, 8:45 pm

Welcome back, rkittine!

That Model 52 is not the gun to bring you back into the fold! 
As said, start with regaining proficiency with the .22.
Then pull out the 52 to hopefully not embarrass yourself too much.
jwax
jwax

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale 1/15/2021, 8:43 am

Yes, and airguns at home works wonders.

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine 1/15/2021, 9:39 am

I will start practicing with one of my .22s. I have a High Standard Victor, a Model 41 and a Buckmark with bull barrel. Right now though the league I am in, is doing Centerfire. I did not get in the Rim Fire Summer league. I did make sure that my scores would not have a negative effect on the club as we shoot against other clubs. It was my fault for the slow fire issues, but once resighted, I was not last in either timed or rapid fire, so I don't really feel too bad.

Bob
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/28/2021, 8:37 pm

Lots of common sense suggestions.

I'm too stubborn to do that sometimes - if you used to be decent with the Model 52, and if you've got the ammo, it sounds like your skills were still there, coming out of retirement.  Why not do both - shoot the 22 if you wish, but also shoot the 52 once again with the steel sights.  The 52 is as good a gun today as it was half a century ago.  Give your body a chance to get back in shape.

.....or just ignore this, and follow the common sense suggestions already posted.
.....or, do both.
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by rkittine 1/29/2021, 8:25 am

I tend to focus on competing against myself. As long as my scores do not hurt the team, then I am happy to be even the worst shot on it as long as I am improving. I have plenty of Factory Ammo and plenty of components to reloads thousands of .38 WCs and progressive press set up for that alone. Same thing with my .32 S&W Long ammo, components and my dedicated Star Press.

Bob
rkittine
rkittine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemyers 1/29/2021, 12:01 pm

rkittine wrote:I tend to focus on competing against myself. As long as my scores do not hurt the team, then I am happy to be even the worst shot on it as long as I am improving. I have plenty of Factory Ammo and plenty of components to reloads thousands of .38 WCs and progressive press set up for that alone. Same thing with my .32 S&W Long ammo, components and my dedicated Star Press.
Why not banish the highlighted words from your mind.  If this bothers "the team", then they have the wrong reason to even have "the team".
Just my opinion.....
mikemyers
mikemyers

Back to top Go down

Post by -TT- 1/29/2021, 7:32 pm

Never forget that the "team score" is the top 5 shooters in a given match, in most any bullseye league. If you're the sixth person on the line, the only thing your score can do is help. Go for it!
-TT-
-TT-

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down