Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ammo for Hammerli 215

3 posters

Go down

Ammo for Hammerli 215 Empty Ammo for Hammerli 215

Post by houndog Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:15 pm

Hi, just joined the forum and am planning to try bullseye shooting.  Have been generally shooting/plinking for years and now that I'm retired thought it might be fun to try to shoot/practice with a little more purpose.  Plus, it looks like my local gun club has a pretty active bullseye shooting league.

Have been trying to do research and get info. about this sport and clearly have a lot to learn.  I'm pretty accurate shooting two handed, but this one handed stuff is a whole new world.

So, I already have a half dozen pistols, but they're all center fire - i.e. a couple of 1911's, a Sig 226, a couple of Glocks, etc.  Just bought a used Hammerli 215 off of Gunbroker for what was hopefully a decent price.  So now I need ammo, hence this post.

Of course, like all ammo, it seems like it's pretty hard to come by.  Went up on the CMP website and it looks like they have a decent selection for a pretty good price.  I know I shouldn't shoot high velocity ammo out of my 215, but they have some Eley 40 gr. available for what looks to be a decent price.  Is this good to go?  Right now I'm just looking for good quality ammo that will cycle in my gun and is not too expensive.  Given my current level of proficiency I don't super premium match ammo.

houndog

Back to top Go down

Ammo for Hammerli 215 Empty Re: Ammo for Hammerli 215

Post by Jon Eulette Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:26 pm

CCI SV (older lots) and Aguila work fine in all my Hammerli's. They do like Eley Tenex as well Smile
Just shoot what you can get as long as its standard velocity and you'll be fine.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by houndog Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:14 pm

Thanks Jon.  Based on your tag lines and a quick Google search it looks like you know a little bit about pistols and bullseye shooting. Laughing  Am going to go forward with CMP order (if I can get all my paperwork in order) and be on the lookout for CCI's at a  reasonable price.  

I've been shooting long enough and am enough of a curmudgeon that I am deeply offended by what some people are trying to charge for ammo.  $1 a round for 9mm, when you can find it?  .30/rd for .22?  I'll start using a sling shot and rocks before I pay that much for ammo.

houndog

Back to top Go down

Post by aub1957 Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:52 pm

I'll second everything Jon said. I've done a lot of informal testing and my 215 likes CCI SV the best all around. I have some older lots of Aguila SV and it can be slightly underpowered on some rounds, causing trouble. I have found that the 215 shoots most everything well. The only ammo that my pistol did not like was Eley Bullseye Pistol X.

SK pistol match is a good round as well, though the lube is annoying. The Eley that CMP sells bulk with their name on it is good ammo and seems comparable to old CCI SV. It has a dry waxy lube that doesn't get all over your fingers like CCI SV.

aub1957

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down