Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Go down

Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Zepp on 3/20/2018, 12:39 pm

Would appreciate suggestions regarding ammo choices for Hammerli 208.

Zepp

Posts : 7
Join date : 2018-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Chris Miceli on 3/20/2018, 12:49 pm

cci standard or eley tenex
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 2636
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by robert84010 on 3/20/2018, 2:15 pm

I've had perfect functioning and everything is on call with CCI SV. Using SK Pistol Match has groups a little tighter. SK is not too pricey and worth it for 50 yards.

robert84010

Posts : 548
Join date : 2011-09-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by ric1911a1 on 3/20/2018, 3:14 pm

Eley Club (orange box) works well in both of mine.
avatar
ric1911a1

Posts : 185
Join date : 2013-05-07
Location : Upstate NY

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Skid on 3/20/2018, 3:18 pm

Mine shoots everything great,  so it depends on your budget.

Skid

Posts : 191
Join date : 2014-05-19
Age : 56
Location : Northern Lower Mi

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Fotomaniac on 3/20/2018, 3:57 pm

Mine eats CCI SV, and Lapua SK Match, plus, Midas etc., with no issues at all.

Fotomaniac

Posts : 60
Join date : 2015-02-27
Location : Philadelphia

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by budgetbob on 3/20/2018, 4:47 pm

Tenex, R-50 and CCI all hold under 1" from a sandbag in mine

budgetbob

Posts : 23
Join date : 2016-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by CR10X on 3/20/2018, 4:48 pm

I see this a lot from "newer" shooters.  Just remember that a .22 is kinda like a blind date.  You don't really know what she wants until you take her out a few times and see what happens.  Sometimes she likes you, sometimes well, its not her, its you. Try a few different things and see what gets you the best response.   

Same with picking out ammo for a .22, especially pistol.  

Some pistols will be reliable and accurate with a range of different types of .22s, others will show a distinct preference.  Sometimes you get lucky and they like the cheap stuff (think burgers and CCI Std Vel), with good reliability and groups.  Others like high end stuff (filet and lobster and Eley or RWS), but will reward you with faithfulness, reliability and little bitty groups.  

Just remember to brush the chamber (but I only use a pull through patch in the barrel) whenever you change ammo.  Give each a fair test and keep notes.  You will be rewarded, or at least find out it didn't matter anyway.  Either way, you win.

CR

CR10X

Posts : 787
Join date : 2011-06-17
Location : NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Jon Eulette on 3/20/2018, 4:56 pm

All the ones I shoot will function reliably with Aguila, CCI and assorted Eleys. Groups are another story. "Speed cost money so how fast do you wanna go?" I only use Eley for important matches and CCI the rest of them. Aguila for training.
Jon
avatar
Jon Eulette

Posts : 2138
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by scrum derringer on 3/20/2018, 7:32 pm

Norma Tac 22, nary a hiccup. Except that one time.  CCI would gum up the chamber and surrounding area.
avatar
scrum derringer

Posts : 208
Join date : 2011-08-18
Location : Menomonee Falls, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Fotomaniac on 3/20/2018, 7:41 pm

scrum derringer wrote:Norma Tac 22, nary a hiccup. Except that one time.  CCI would gum up the chamber and surrounding area.

Well I have NEVER experienced this...seen people choke with Aguilar, and even Eley...never ever had, or encountered someone who had problems with CCI sv. Keep the chamber clean and you’re gtg!


Last edited by Fotomaniac on 3/20/2018, 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fotomaniac

Posts : 60
Join date : 2015-02-27
Location : Philadelphia

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by scrum derringer on 3/20/2018, 7:43 pm

Fotomaniac wrote:
scrum derringer wrote:Norma Tac 22, nary a hiccup. Except that one time.  CCI would gum up the chamber and surrounding area.

Well I have NEVER experienced this...seen people choke with Aguilar, and even Eley...never ever had, or encountered someone who had problems with CCI sv. Keep the chamber clean and your gtg!
Norma tac is re-branded RWS, and their lube is thin and slippery vs, cci being waxy. the Norma is a little slower too i think, making easier on the frame.
avatar
scrum derringer

Posts : 208
Join date : 2011-08-18
Location : Menomonee Falls, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by john bickar on 3/20/2018, 7:52 pm

scrum derringer wrote:Norma Tac 22, nary a hiccup. Except that one time.

That was the story of my Walther GSP .22. Never a problem with any ammo...until a double-alibi in the 2006 World Championships. pale
avatar
john bickar

Posts : 1006
Join date : 2011-07-09
Location : Menlo Park, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Fotomaniac on 3/20/2018, 8:06 pm

CCI sv has minimal wax...way less than others like Eley...that I have experienced anyway.  Had great luck with Lapua brands tho...perhaps it’s similar to RWS?

Fotomaniac

Posts : 60
Join date : 2015-02-27
Location : Philadelphia

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Bullseye_Stan on 3/21/2018, 7:01 am

A lower velocity ammunition, arbitrarily chosen below 1100 fps, will help with the longevity of the gun.  Most standard velocity ammunition meets that criteria.  However, a few don't.  Two notable exceptions are Remington Target (1150 fps) and Aguila Standard Velocity (1130 fps).  Some pistol ammo, such as Aguila pistol match is below 1000 fps (925 fps).  Not that slower is necessarily better due to reduced recoil, but during rapid fire it may help.

An ammunition which will not function reliably is unsuitable, regardless of accuracy or reduced recoil.  For 50' and 25 yds, I have never heard of a standard velocity .22lr which displayed unacceptable accuracy from a 208. Also, make sure to inspect the recoil spring regularly on the 208.

Bullseye_Stan

Posts : 274
Join date : 2017-06-11
Location : Hampton Roads, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Chris Miceli on 3/21/2018, 7:22 am

Bullseye_Stan wrote:A lower velocity ammunition, arbitrarily chosen below 1100 fps, will help with the longevity of the gun.  Most standard velocity ammunition meets that criteria.  However, a few don't.  Two notable exceptions are Remington Target (1150 fps) and Aguila Standard Velocity (1130 fps).  Some pistol ammo, such as Aguila pistol match is below 1000 fps (925 fps).  Not that slower is necessarily better due to reduced recoil, but during rapid fire it may help.

An ammunition which will not function reliably is unsuitable, regardless of accuracy or reduced recoil.  For 50' and 25 yds, I have never heard of a standard velocity .22lr which displayed unacceptable accuracy from a 208. Also, make sure to inspect the recoil spring regularly on the 208.
 i suggest you get your chrono out and stop going by what the box says.
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 2636
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Bullseye_Stan on 3/21/2018, 7:33 am

Chris Miceli wrote:
Bullseye_Stan wrote:A lower velocity ammunition, arbitrarily chosen below 1100 fps, will help with the longevity of the gun.  Most standard velocity ammunition meets that criteria.  However, a few don't.  Two notable exceptions are Remington Target (1150 fps) and Aguila Standard Velocity (1130 fps).  Some pistol ammo, such as Aguila pistol match is below 1000 fps (925 fps).  Not that slower is necessarily better due to reduced recoil, but during rapid fire it may help.

An ammunition which will not function reliably is unsuitable, regardless of accuracy or reduced recoil.  For 50' and 25 yds, I have never heard of a standard velocity .22lr which displayed unacceptable accuracy from a 208. Also, make sure to inspect the recoil spring regularly on the 208.
 i suggest you get your chrono out and stop going by what the box says.

Maybe... someday.  I have chronograph my .45 hand loads.  And, it's not on the box, but provided by the manufacturer specifications.  Those can be argued, as the barrel length may not be identical for each type of .22.  But, the velocities are all at the muzzle. 

From a personal experience perspective, I've noticed that Remington Standard Velocity ammunition would cycle the slide on some pistols that CCI, Norma, or Aguila Pistol Match wouldn't.  Call that subjective, but it does seem to coincide with the manufacturers information.  I tend to trust the manufacturer, possibly more than my field collected chronograph data*.

* Using a Prochrono digital chronograph.

Edit: Here is a link to SK rimfire ammunition ballistics, which includes barrel length: http://www.sk-ammunition.com/en/products/shot-cartridges.html
The SK Standard Plus ammo, listed with a MV of 1073 fps, shows a 26" barrel was used.  That MV will be less with a 6" barrel.  Most manufacturers don't include the barrel length in their specifications, but I think it's generally for rifle barrel lengths.  I believe the Aguila Pistol Match ammunition muzzle velocity is for a pistol barrel length, much like the 938 fps MV for SK Pistol Match was tested with a 5.9" barrel.  That's part of the reason to buy the more expensive ammunition (IMO): it is tested more and has better documentation.


Last edited by Bullseye_Stan on 3/21/2018, 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Bullseye_Stan

Posts : 274
Join date : 2017-06-11
Location : Hampton Roads, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by BE Mike on 3/21/2018, 8:56 am

Mine and at least one other fellow's, Jerry Chaney, used to be most accurate with CCI Pistol Match. It also functioned reliably.
avatar
BE Mike

Posts : 1556
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Indiana

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Wobbley on 3/21/2018, 11:00 am

The specifications for the velocity barrels including length ar on page 66 of this document.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/Z299-1_ANSI-SAAMI_Rimfire.pdf
avatar
Wobbley

Posts : 1633
Join date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Chris Miceli on 3/21/2018, 11:27 am

Wobbley wrote:The specifications for the velocity barrels including length ar on page 66 of this document.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/Z299-1_ANSI-SAAMI_Rimfire.pdf
6 groove 22lr......gross
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 2636
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Northern Virginia

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Zepp on 3/25/2018, 1:48 pm

Many thanks to all for your suggestions..

Zepp

Posts : 7
Join date : 2018-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Ammo Suggestions Please - Hammerli 208.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum