Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hand in Pocket or belt?

+16
SingleActionAndrew
spursnguns
rich.tullo
Outthere
mhayford45
farmboy
john bickar
zanemoseley
kjanracing
Tim:H11
BE Mike
brassmaster
mpolans
Jack H
Wobbley
Dockokol
20 posters

Go down

Hand in Pocket or belt? Empty Hand in Pocket or belt?

Post by Dockokol 1/28/2021, 9:11 am

When I started shooting I was taught to put my non shooting hand in my pocket.  Now I see many on the line (including AMU shooters) hooking their thumb in behind their belt buckel.  What happened?
Doc

Dockokol

Back to top Go down

Hand in Pocket or belt? Empty Re: Hand in Pocket or belt?

Post by Wobbley 1/28/2021, 9:24 am

It allows you to react quicker to a malfunction IF you want to.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 1/28/2021, 11:28 am

When Makin's hot 22 brass keeps pelting you at your pocket with hand inside, and a case sticks between your bare wrist and pants fabric affraid , you start holding your hand behind your back.  

Actually I think letting your non shooting arm hang looser is better.  LtC Miller used to constantly remind me to relax my left shoulder.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 1/28/2021, 11:53 am

I don't like my non-dominant hand to move. My pockets are deep enough that my hand can still move in them, so I hold my belt.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by brassmaster 1/28/2021, 12:08 pm

Jack H wrote:When Makin's hot 22 brass keeps pelting you at your pocket with hand inside, and a case sticks between your bare wrist and pants fabric affraid , you start holding your hand behind your back.  

Actually I think letting your non shooting arm hang looser is better.  LtC Miller used to constantly remind me to relax my left shoulder.
Some of us older "seasoned shooters" were taught by "seasoned masters" and military shooting team members (when they wore green fatigues) the hand-in-pocket method. As you sit on the ready line at Camp Perry and observe competitors on the firing line one can usually recognize shooters in the 40s & under demographic because they have their fingers in their belts or hanging loose and their stance (angle to the target) is also different and both are products of evolution of the sport.
A lot of those same old masters set a whole lotta national records with their 'hand-in-pocket" method, old style stance and metallic sights that have stood the test of time and are still in the record books.
However, it's a matter of personal choice, choose the method that is most comfortable, whether it's the hand-in-pocket or belt or hanging loose or a preferred stance. Being comfortable on the firing line of a Precision Pistol Match is paramount. Tension can cause shots in those outer rings that count less.
brassmaster
brassmaster

http://www.whitehorsecenter.org, click on Brassmasters

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 1/28/2021, 12:42 pm

I changed from the "in the pocket" to the "thumb in the belt method" back when I was actively competing. The theory was that hooking the thumb in the belt kept the elbow in tighter to the body, and more stable (keeping the center of gravity lower).
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 1/28/2021, 6:19 pm

Myself and another member of the team are hand in pocket shooters. But I always say shoot your own game. Do what works for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 1/29/2021, 10:35 pm

I moved to hand in belt. I feel more solid in my stance and feel like I hold more steady.
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley 1/29/2021, 11:16 pm

I like the belt to tighten my stance and upper body, I shoot mid to upper 2500's. With that said Jason has his hand in his pocket and shoots mid 2600's. Like Jason said find what you like and be consistent.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 1/29/2021, 11:34 pm

I have been taught that either is fine. Some ISSF shooters even wear a special belt that hangs low on their hips, into which they hook their non-shooting hand, to keep their non-shooting arm in a more neutral posture. Generally, putting your non-shooting hand behind your back is not recommended, as it puts the upper body into too much strain.

All of the above, I post sincerely. The following, I post mostly for fun:

First case of coronavirus traced to Marine putting hands in pockets
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Dockokol 1/30/2021, 5:33 am

john bickar wrote:I have been taught that either is fine. Some ISSF shooters even wear a special belt that hangs low on their hips, into which they hook their non-shooting hand, to keep their non-shooting arm in a more neutral posture. Generally, putting your non-shooting hand behind your back is not recommended, as it puts the upper body into too much strain.

John, thats almost as bad as walking on the First Sargeants grass.... almost.   Smile

Dockokol

Back to top Go down

Post by farmboy 1/30/2021, 8:44 am

I do both - will change back and forth - more of feel or comfort thing from day to day.  Have not experienced any measurable difference in performance between either one. YMMV
farmboy
farmboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 1/31/2021, 5:56 pm

I have been working with both recently and for many years put my hand in my pocket. What I like about moving to the belt buckle area is reduced tension in my neck and left shoulder. My right shooting eye stays more aligned with my arm and sights and my hold improved.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by Outthere 2/1/2021, 6:28 am

Dockokol wrote:
john bickar wrote:I have been taught that either is fine. Some ISSF shooters even wear a special belt that hangs low on their hips, into which they hook their non-shooting hand, to keep their non-shooting arm in a more neutral posture. Generally, putting your non-shooting hand behind your back is not recommended, as it puts the upper body into too much strain.

John, thats almost as bad as walking on the First Sargeants grass.... almost.   Smile
Or almost as bad has having your dirt in the Boss's ditch:

https://youtu.be/oudNoKfNUfs
Outthere
Outthere

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 2/5/2021, 2:09 pm

That's what she said?
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by spursnguns 2/5/2021, 3:13 pm

Hello all,

I have to chuckle a bit.  I've hooked my thumb on my front pocket for decades.  The best, or worst, of both worlds.

Jim
spursnguns
spursnguns

Back to top Go down

Post by SingleActionAndrew 2/5/2021, 3:46 pm

Relative novice here

I've asked my physical therapist and my chiropractor suggestions for stance. From those discussions I've been trying putting my offhand in a fist at the base of (behind) my back, holding the shoulders low. Shoulder back with offhand and ~centered with shooting hand. This seems to do great things for my wobble and reduces my neck pain while holding the gun but it also seems to be more fatiguing than holding my belt. This is shooting fully bladed to the target.

While it again reduces my pain while shooting, is the clear consensus that this is training a poor behavior that will ultimately hold me back from progressing to Expert and beyond?
SingleActionAndrew
SingleActionAndrew

Back to top Go down

Post by jimsteele 2/8/2021, 6:34 am

I switched to hooking my thumb in my belt buckle for about a month, thinking yeah, it will be quicker to clear a malfunction that way. But I went back to the pocket because I am much more relaxed that way. I don't even know my hand is in my pocket if I take out my money clip, and pocket knife before hand. They are a terrible distraction.

jimsteele

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall 2/8/2021, 3:42 pm

Really?  Are we this bored?
Phil
PMcfall
PMcfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot 2/8/2021, 4:11 pm

Apparently so!!

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by valbern67 2/8/2021, 5:32 pm

SingleActionAndrew wrote:Relative novice here

I've asked my physical therapist and my chiropractor suggestions for stance. From those discussions I've been trying putting my offhand in a fist at the base of (behind) my back, holding the shoulders low. Shoulder back with offhand and ~centered with shooting hand. This seems to do great things for my wobble and reduces my neck pain while holding the gun but it also seems to be more fatiguing than holding my belt. This is shooting fully bladed to the target.

While it again reduces my pain while shooting, is the clear consensus that this is training a poor behavior that will ultimately hold me back from progressing to Expert and beyond?

I actually hook my thumb in my back pocket for similar reasons, and so I don't slump.

Val

alien
valbern67
valbern67

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down