Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making outdoor targets

+4
SMBeyer
BE Mike
tonyg
Rob Kovach
8 posters

Go down

Making outdoor targets Empty Making outdoor targets

Post by Rob Kovach 4/14/2013, 12:39 pm

I have a pile of outdoor paper targets and a pile of cardboard backers.
Does anyone have a convenient glue recommendation that would glue about a dozen targets?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Making outdoor targets Empty Re: Making outdoor targets

Post by tonyg 4/14/2013, 1:54 pm

Hi Rob, I've been using glue sticks for years and years.

Tony

tonyg

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 4/14/2013, 3:24 pm

http://www.amazon.com/3M-General-Purpose-45-Adhesive/dp/B000PCWRMC
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 4/14/2013, 6:51 pm

Good call BE Mike, I dug out some 3M Super 77. Those targets are never coming off...
Now that I'm done, and glue sticks and 3M automotive adhesives have been mentioned, I'm still curious if there are any other convenient products.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 4/14/2013, 8:01 pm

Go to a paint store and get cellulose wall paper adhesive. You get it in a dry powder and add water. It's way cheaper than spray adhesive and goes a really long way. You don't have to mix it all just mix what you want. I put it on with a roller and dont clean the roller between uses just let it dry out and then when I want to use it again I soak the roller in water to reactivate the cellulose. It works good and doesn't make everything sticky like the 3m spray adhesive.
Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Founder 4/14/2013, 11:00 pm

The wall paper stuff works great or a water based contact cement, slop it on and put in place. Dries quick and your ready to shoot.

Not sure how water resistant it would be?

Joe
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 4/23/2013, 10:13 am

I've been using wall paper paste for our outdoor targets for a few years. No issues with it even in the rain,as long as you let it dry well before stacking the cardboard together, don't do that and don't ask me how I know.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 4/23/2013, 10:16 am

I've been using wall paper paste for our outdoor targets for a few years. No issues with it even in the rain,as long as you let it dry well before stacking the cardboard together, don't do that and don't ask me how I know.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Toz35m 4/24/2013, 5:41 pm

I just staple around the edge with the kind of stapler used to staple 2 pieces of paper together. 3-4 per edge seem to hold for a long time. Since I do this for only 2 targets it works great. Then I use binder clips to attach my cardboard and target to the frames at the range. This way I only have to replace the center and I can get a few years out of a full face target. This also works good when I want to replace the full face I just staple it on over the old face after removing all of the centers.
Toz35m
Toz35m

Back to top Go down

Making outdoor targets Empty Making targets

Post by Jar-hed 4/25/2013, 9:12 pm

We used a wheat paste for most of our targets in the Marine Corps. It is simple and cheap. It used to be very common in hardware and home improvement stores, but I think the "wallpaper" adhesive referred to in another reply has replaced it's niche in the market. Frankly, it really is about the same thing. You can make your own easily enough. Here is a link to a recipe I found on on the web: http://destructables.org/destructable/wheatpaste-recipe-putting-postersbillboard-alterations

It can get a little messy. I wouldn't recommend it for an individual target. When I go to the range to practice by myself, and I need a target, it is much quicker and easier to use one of the commercially available spray mount type adhesives. But if you are doing a butt-load of targets for a match or league, the wheat paste works great. I find the integrity of the targets that have been mounted to their backer boards with the wheat paste holds up better than most other methods. It makes scoring a little easier, in my opinion.
Jar-hed
Jar-hed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down