Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullseye Mind, a discussion

+3
TomH_pa
mspingeld
Dehumanizer
7 posters

Go down

Bullseye Mind, a discussion Empty Bullseye Mind, a discussion

Post by Dehumanizer 2/11/2021, 10:31 am

About halfway through this fine book. Just got done with the chapter on passive and active attitudes. This plagued me while playing in pool tourneys. I knew it was detrimental to my outcome but never really did anything to fix it.

The book does a great job of explaining what it is but only covers trying to use your outcome as a learning tool to counter it. But the reality is if I am doing poorly it boils down to me really not knowing why and then it goes downhill from there. So how can I really use it as a learning tool if I don't know why I am performing poorly?

I have the convenience of being new to bullseye so I really have not put a lot of pressure on myself as of yet. Everything I do is an attempt to get better. (Like not checking my red dot sight is loose and off 5 moa down and to the right. Like last weekend)

So my question is for those that have been able to overcome passive attitude, how do you do it? I know that dark monster is down the road for me and would like some ideas on how to avoid it.

Dehumanizer

Back to top Go down

Bullseye Mind, a discussion Empty Re: Bullseye Mind, a discussion

Post by mspingeld 2/11/2021, 11:39 am

Have you tried asking the author your question?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TomH_pa 2/11/2021, 12:08 pm

I didn't realize he was available to answer questions.

TomH_pa

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld 2/11/2021, 12:11 pm

Worth a try. rprior@rfpsport.com

mspingeld
Admin

Dehumanizer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke 2/11/2021, 12:12 pm

Well, for me personally, it's the realization that I have absolutely nothing to lose (well, except of some ammo, of course, and a nominal match fees). I come to the match to socialize with friends and have fun. I don't HAVE to win. And if I perform poorly - well, we all have our bad days and moments. I say to myself, ooopsie, I screwed this one, let's do the next one better, focus on fundamentals, concentrate, shoot an X and enjoy it.
Usually it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Oh well, I don't have any goals like becoming a world champion, my only goal is to shoot well.

javaduke

https://eb-custom.us

chopper, Lefty and Dehumanizer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CO1Mtn 2/11/2021, 8:04 pm

I think you should have the mindset that you are going there to try to win, and you may not win right away, but eventually you will start winning, and you are going to get gold.

I would recommend working on strengthening your right arm by holding out a 5 lb weight for up to a minute. And I would recommend dry firing.

CO1Mtn

dieselguy624 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mhayford45 2/20/2021, 2:18 pm

For RF the choice is made for you. You have to be active. 

TF is different as there is enough time to become passive during the shot string, at least for me. I therefore make an effort to release my first shot as soon as is possible without upsetting my hold and trigger control.

SF.... ah there is plenty of time to be passive. Therefore only give yourself 20 seconds to complete a shot after raising the gun. After 20 seconds your eye and hold muscles will begin to fatigue. So set the gun down and take a few deep breaths and start again. This will help keep you engaged in the shot.

mhayford45

Back to top Go down

Post by oxbowbob 2/20/2021, 5:10 pm

About halfway through this fine book. Just got done with the chapter on passive and active attitudes. This plagued me while playing in pool tourneys. I knew it was detrimental to my outcome but never really did anything to fix it.

I just order this book from Amazon. I also recently read on here "you know you're in the zone when the only gun you hear is your own". I thought to myself that I would love to be able to do that. Your comment about being plagued in pool tournaments connected some dots for me. Many, many years ago when I played in pool tournaments I can remember getting into "that zone". It wasn't something I did on command & I don't know how I got there. My teammates told me they could see it. I played the best pool of my life in "that zone". I haven't experienced it shooting, but I look forward to reading that chapter.
oxbowbob
oxbowbob

Dehumanizer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down