Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model 52-2 Won't Eject properly

3 posters

Go down

Model 52-2 Won't Eject properly Empty Model 52-2 Won't Eject properly

Post by brdrgrd Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:01 pm

I have a S&W Model 52-2 that developed an ejection problem. It appears that the shell being ejected is hitting the front of the next round in the magazine and a jam occurs.

I made some dummy rounds and tried to hand cycle the rounds. The slide will start to extract the round in the barrel and then hit something about a 1/4 the way out.

I bought this gun new and is not modified at all. I bought the gun in the mid to late 80's, started shooting bullseye with it and life happened. Now that I am getting to retire I started enjoying it again.

The only gunsmith I know who has experience with Model 52's is Clark Custom, if I have to send it in for repair.

Thank you.

brdrgrd

Back to top Go down

Model 52-2 Won't Eject properly Empty Re: Model 52-2 Won't Eject properly

Post by bruce martindale Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:07 pm

My guess is barrel leading that impedes the extraction.

Try cleaning it good with kroil and a tight patch. See if that helps

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Post by brdrgrd Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:19 pm

Thank you for your response, I thought the same thing at first so I scrubbed the barrel and the rounds moves in an out freely now.

brdrgrd

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:09 pm

You're welcome. I used a lot of 231 in a 52 and noticed the powder plus maybe lube and some lead crusted up in the chamber thereby impeding operation. Firebrushing ( cigar lighter or low flame torch) up the bbl for 5 seconds loosened it up so a brush could remve it

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick H. Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:46 pm

bruce martindale wrote:You're welcome. I used a lot of 231 in a 52 and noticed the powder plus maybe lube and some lead crusted up in the chamber thereby impeding operation. Firebrushing ( cigar lighter or low flame torch) up the bbl for 5 seconds loosened it up so a brush could remve it

I have never heard of "firebrushing".  Can you explain the process a little more please?  It sounds interesting especially with a M52 where lead congregates at the very end of the chamber and is next to impossible to remove completely.  Thanks in advance.

Rick H.

Rick H.

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:58 pm

Rick, Sure. Remove barrel from the slide.

Hold the barrel in your hand pointing up. Run a flame from a low conical ( not candle like) torch jet up the bbl for 5 seconds then brush with a tight brush. Not those wimpy soft brushes. You can even use a 2" 50 cal brush but only in one direction. A rod without a loop or handle goes all the way out the bbl. It doesn't get that hot but the heat flux through the deposit loosens it.

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by Rick H. Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:57 pm

Thanks Bruce!  I had never heard of that process before, but it makes sense to me.  I will have to experiment with that one.  I had a M52 barrel that had a ring of lead buildup at the end of the chamber just before the point where the land/groves started.  I didn't see it initially until I bought a borescope and then it became obvious.  The problem was the residual lead was near impossible to get out and was no doubt left there for many years.  The ends of brushes and even a Lewis Lead Remover would just be forced over the lead buildup by the lands and groves.  Finally after working at this residue with various means including dental picks etc., I finally managed to clean it all out only to discover a "ring" of pitting around the barrel that was under the lead deposit.  At that point I had a new OEM barrel installed by Clark Custom, so I have been looking for ways to assist me in removing that lead deposit to keep this pitting from taking place again in my other 52's.  I am not sure if the Clark M52 barrel is designed the same internally as a factory S&W barrel so the jury is still out on that one.  I have one of my 52's at Clark now having one of their new made barrels installed.  Thanks again for the "tip".

Rick H.

Rick H.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down