Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning my Pardini SP

+2
CrankyThunder
mikemargolis
6 posters

Go down

Cleaning my Pardini SP Empty Cleaning my Pardini SP

Post by mikemargolis 3/9/2021, 4:11 pm

Well, thanks to corona, I have shot like crazy this past year! The range is open, and nobody is there 95% of the time when I go (7am)…

Quick question:

I am estimating that I’ve put somewhere between 5000 and 10,000 rounds through the gun.

Not one single misfire. Not one alibi, not one stovepipe, not one mechanical issue.

I do clean the gun about once a month according to Alex’ video on youtube. The magazines a lot less, but I have six of them.

But I can see a lot of gunk inside the trigger mechanism area when I pull the barrel off.

Should I push the pins out and look at the firing pin? How deep should I go after 10k rounds?

Has anyone sent their gun to Pardini, and let them go through it, replace washers/springs, etc… or is it way too early for that?

I appreciate your advice on this.

mikemargolis

Back to top Go down

Cleaning my Pardini SP Empty Re: Cleaning my Pardini SP

Post by CrankyThunder 3/9/2021, 7:16 pm

Hi Mike, Cranky here. 

At 10,000 rounds I wouldn't worry about to much.  

I purchased my pardini new in 2013.  

Just had my first non ammo related alibi a couple weeks ago.  

Caused by a dirty magazine.  when I cleaned it out it had a heavy buildup of wax, I suspect from those couple of cases of CCI SV that had excessive wax that I just got finished going through.  I could see and feel the wax in the magazines but I ignored it, primarily to see how long it would take for a alibi.  

Please note that I have over 100,000 rounds through the pistol.  I am going to put magazine cleaning on a 40,000 round schedule/rotation.  

My recommendations are clean it every thousand rounds or so with a simple field strip and surface cleaning.  replace the bolt buffer every 40,000 rounds along with the magazines.  I am thinking about the 13 o rings in the olt but am waiting for a response from Pardini USA on that one.  

For what it is worth, Pardini USA recommends a number of parts replacement every ten thousand rounds or so.  Firing pin firing pin spring, magazine spring, extractor, extractor spring, bolt buffer, the 13 o rings, and hammer as well.  Personally I have only replaced the bolt buffer a couple of months ago.  have checked everything else and do not think replacement is necessary, even though I have the spares in my pistol box.  I do have a couple magazine springs that are getting lighter then the others though.  

Anyways, that is my experience, thinking about the 13 o rings but do not have a need to dig deeper and replace/clean anything else on the pistol. 

Regards 
Crankster
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

http://www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemargolis 3/10/2021, 8:56 am

Thanks George. I'll leave well enough alone.

mikemargolis

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 3/10/2021, 10:06 am

CrankyThunder wrote:Hi Mike, Cranky here. 

At 10,000 rounds I wouldn't worry about to much.  

I purchased my pardini new in 2013.  

Just had my first non ammo related alibi a couple weeks ago.  

Caused by a dirty magazine.  when I cleaned it out it had a heavy buildup of wax, I suspect from those couple of cases of CCI SV that had excessive wax that I just got finished going through.  I could see and feel the wax in the magazines but I ignored it, primarily to see how long it would take for a alibi.  

Please note that I have over 100,000 rounds through the pistol.  I am going to put magazine cleaning on a 40,000 round schedule/rotation.  

My recommendations are clean it every thousand rounds or so with a simple field strip and surface cleaning.  replace the bolt buffer every 40,000 rounds along with the magazines.  I am thinking about the 13 o rings in the olt but am waiting for a response from Pardini USA on that one.  

For what it is worth, Pardini USA recommends a number of parts replacement every ten thousand rounds or so.  Firing pin firing pin spring, magazine spring, extractor, extractor spring, bolt buffer, the 13 o rings, and hammer as well.  Personally I have only replaced the bolt buffer a couple of months ago.  have checked everything else and do not think replacement is necessary, even though I have the spares in my pistol box.  I do have a couple magazine springs that are getting lighter then the others though.  

Anyways, that is my experience, thinking about the 13 o rings but do not have a need to dig deeper and replace/clean anything else on the pistol. 

Regards 
Crankster
Can you order a complete spare parts kit from Pardini?

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 3/10/2021, 11:45 am

Hey Schu:

While Pardini USA does not have a replacement parts kit packaged together, they have most if no every part in stock and their shipping is quick.  

In my gun box, I carry the following spare parts:
Firing pin
Firing pin spring
Firing pin retention pin
Extractor
Extractor Spring
Extractor Spring retention pin
Main spring
Bolt Buffer.  

I recently emailed Pardini USA for a recommended list of parts replacement for my pardini and they included the following:

All the parts listed above plus
Hammer
Magazine spring

When I got their response I was surprised that they did not mention the 13 o rings in the back of the bolt so I sent a email asking if they need to be replaced.  I have yet to receive a response and I probably should follow up on that.  

For what it is worth, I frequently check the hammer strike and mine is a good solid hit.  If I started getting light strikes I would first disassemble the firing pin and clean that out since I have had problems with that in the past.  

One of the tools that you should have in your tool box is a small punch to remove the firing pin retention pin and the extractor retention pin.  I think that I used a small allen wrench for mine because I did not have a punch that small.  

Hope this helps out guys!

Regards, 
CranKsTer
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

Schaumannk likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rush223 3/10/2021, 2:08 pm

Off topic, but what model would you recommend for bullseye. There are 5 and 6 inch variations. Also, large gloves are snug on my hands. Should I get the large grip size. I’ve heard some pistol grip sizes are a little large.
Thanks
Rush

Rush223

Back to top Go down

Post by Schaumannk 3/10/2021, 2:17 pm

Rush223 wrote:Off topic, but what model would you recommend for bullseye. There are 5 and 6 inch variations. Also, large gloves are snug on my hands. Should I get the large grip size. I’ve heard some pistol grip sizes are a little large.
Thanks
Rush
The grips on the Pardini run small.   Either get an extra large grip or have Dick Horton or someone else make you one.  

A friend bought the six inch version of the Pardini.   In my opinion. especially with the standard Pardini rings and a match dot, the gun is way too heavy, and it is particularly too muzzle heavy.   He was never so frustrated.   Stick with the five inch, and experiment with the weights until you get a balance you like.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemargolis 3/10/2021, 2:20 pm

Schaumannk wrote:
Rush223 wrote:Off topic, but what model would you recommend for bullseye. There are 5 and 6 inch variations. Also, large gloves are snug on my hands. Should I get the large grip size. I’ve heard some pistol grip sizes are a little large.
Thanks
Rush
The grips on the Pardini run small.   Either get an extra large grip or have Dick Horton or someone else make you one.  

A friend bought the six inch version of the Pardini.   In my opinion. especially with the standard Pardini rings and a match dot, the gun is way too heavy, and it is particularly too muzzle heavy.   He was never so frustrated.   Stick with the five inch, and experiment with the weights until you get a balance you like.
I agree on the barrel, the 5" is the way to go. It was recommended I get a large grip, which I did, and then traded for a Medium, and then bought a Rink. I was not happy with either Pardini grip. The Medium was too small, the Large too large, neither adjusted to a place in the middle.

mikemargolis

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler 3/10/2021, 3:57 pm

I would not trade my 6 inch for anything
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by CrankyThunder 3/10/2021, 6:41 pm

The shorter barrel is better for us mere mortals. It does not punish you as much for a lousy trigger pull.
CrankyThunder
CrankyThunder

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemargolis 3/10/2021, 6:49 pm

And the 5" is legal for ISSF, not that a sixty year old hacker like me will ever get there!

mikemargolis

Back to top Go down

Post by bullseye67 3/11/2021, 11:39 pm

Good evening,

I also echo the 100,000 cleaning routine. I change the firing pin and spring once a year which is 15K plus rounds. Once it broke before that. I feel once a year works. The recoil spring I replace every second year. The bolt buffer I have never changed and I am well over 100K mark. I asked about changing it and was told never need to.....the “heavy users don’t change them I don’t see why you would?” At that point I asked “heavy users.” My dealer said “I have a group of 8 guys that shoot 3 times a week, they shoot 45-50K rounds a year.” 

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another Pardini and it would be a 5 inch again in a HP with the 32 barrel as well. 

YMMV Bullseye67

bullseye67

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down