Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

38 Super EIC pistol questions

4 posters

Go down

38 Super EIC pistol questions Empty 38 Super EIC pistol questions

Post by aub1957 Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:23 pm

Due to a nagging elbow injury, I am thinking that I want to quit trying to shoot 45. At least for a while.

I have a new(er) Colt 38 Super (series 80, unfortunately) and I was kicking around trying to get it into some kind of basic form for shooting CMP EIC matches as economically as possible. My first issue is what to do about the sights. I want to take the path of least resistance here, but I am going to need something adjustable as I have 3-dots in a government cut with a staked front sight. I like the look and functionality of the Kensight adjustable sights and was thinking about getting a set of these to have a gunsmith install. I am not sure which model I would need. Are there any other sights I should consider? Also, can one ship just the slide off to a gunsmith and have it milled for the adjustable sights? Any recommendations here for someone that does this quickly and affordably?

Next question: barrel. I have a Kart Xact fit barrel on hand that I suppose I could install into this pistol. Is that a decent route to go, or should I fit a bushing to the current barrel or go a different route?

I just wanted to get some thoughts/input from someone that might have barked up this tree before. Thank you.

aub1957

Back to top Go down

38 Super EIC pistol questions Empty Re: 38 Super EIC pistol questions

Post by chiz1180 Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:28 pm

Before I would do any barrel/bushing work, I would see how it shoots in its current state (sandbag or ransom rest), then move forward with that knowledge. Sights are more of a preference thing, so long as it fits the dovetail you should be good.

You didn’t mention it but I would prioritize good trigger work before any barrel work. Not all 4lb triggers are equal.
chiz1180
chiz1180

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:36 pm

In my experience those pistols ALWAYS benefited from having new barrel installed. Will give you the lockup you need on the slidestop pin. Of course that will need a match bushing. Kensight has the rear sight you need. You need to figure out if going low mounted (modern) or old school using existing dovetail. Will need a taller front sight (old school height is 0.250) that has become an availability issue. Only tall front sight available is Kensight Shark blade. They need some modifying to get install right.
Trigger job with original parts should be fine.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by aub1957 Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:59 pm

Jon, by shark blade, I assume you mean this one?

https://stores.kensight.com/staked-serrated-ramp-front-sight-fits-colt-m1911-a1-series-80-0-125-tenon/

Thanks for the info. Yes, the barrel definitely will have to be changed. I made some handloads and initial results from the original barrel were just not where I needed to be.

aub1957

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:05 pm

That’s correct sight. Make sure you get correct tenon width; 0.060 or 0.125.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by aub1957 Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Thanks, Jon.

aub1957

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Light Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:41 pm

Harrison Design makes a nice stake on front sight also